Your Favorite Post-CotW Builds

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Dynamod, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

Because it hasn't been talked about yet. Go figure?!

I really like how killer vegan is working right now, especially with spears! that first skill from the polearm tree lets you take out most of the animals from DL1 without having to resort to getting debuffed to 8hp or whatnot. not to mention later on, you're really powerful +_+

Here's what I'm running with for my current go-through:
    Polearms
    Throwing Weapons
    Dual Wield
    Perception
    Smithing
    Killer Vegan
    Battle Geology

What combinations are you guys currently enjoying? :3c

2. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Anything rogue/knight hybrid really. Daggers have the best active buff for stealth ever, and I just discovered:

Dual wield
    Daggers
    Assassination
    Berserker Rage
    Viking Magic (?)
    Clockwork Knight
    Ley walker

Dual wield
    Needed for any build if you want to have any damage at all. Not finding a good dagger can be hard, but having a spare artifact weapon next to your dagger and maybe a polearm can come in handy.

Daggers
    For the sneak buff of course.

Assassination
    For random crits and skills.

Berserker Rage
    Same.

Viking Magic(?)
    The mana-consuming buff is a great way to keep your inventory clean from beer. *burp*

Clockwork Knight
    For the completely overpowered second skill which launches rockets.

Ley Walker
    To supply the Viking Magic buff with mana.

3. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

aw yeah. I wanted to write something about that too, because sneaking up on a monster unawares for a melee hit = instant critical.

maybe run daggers WITH polearms? I wonder if you can use two stances if it's from cross-skills?
    (is gonna go test that now XD)

edit: yeah you can XD time to try out Wallenstein's Inevitable Victory Stance + Silent Deadly Dagger Sneaky Stance. :p

4. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I used Viking Magic stance together with the dagger sneak stance and the victory stance from polearms, so I think it should work. Also, you don't have to equip a polearm to use the stance, obviously..

5. shaken

shaken Member

Viking Magic doesn't have a stance, it's just buffs and spells from what I understand. Also, it is likely that the weapon stances only remove the stances from the same skill tree, so you could probably have both a dagger and polearm stance up, I think.

6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Viking magic has the thing that costs 1 mana each 6 turns.

7. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

That's a hungry buff, not a stance. Stances don't require mana upkeep. Also viking magic has 2.

8. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

so as it turns out, animals in the wizardlands do not follow the "thou shalt not attack the vegans" creed. that makes killer vegan alot more interesting to work around, but in the end I think I shall try something different.

9. doorhandle

doorhandle Member

I basically love anything with communism: it's my new favorite skill.

10. Createx

Createx Member

Communism
    Smithing
    Polearms
    Tinkering
    Perception
    Dual Wield
    Clockwork Knight

Tons of early game power with Polearms and Smithing, you can then slowly build up your character with Clockwork Knight. Communism is awesome utility :)

11. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

My skills are almost the same, but I use viking magic and burglary instead of perception and clockwork knight.

12. Felix Galvan

Felix Galvan Member

Clockwork knight
    polearm
    smithing
    tinker
    paranormal investigator
    burglary
    archaeologist

my very best runs ever were with this setup.

13. Frandarre

Frandarre Member

I'll try this one right now.

14. Kyrie

Kyrie Member

I'm Going with:

Comunism
    Master of Arms
    Dual Wield
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Clockwork Knight
    Rogue Scientist

More for the Encrusts. Comunism is nice tho but I prefer Berzerk.

15. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Tinker
    Smith
    Alchemy
    Perception
    Communism
    WereDiggle
    Paranormal Investigator

Craft all. Encrust it. Turn into diggle. Destroy everything. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Ninth floor and chugging along.

16. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

Only in the wizardlands! :D

-sitcom laughter queue-

17. mamga

mamga Member

Vampirism
    Master of Arms
    Shield Bearer
    Berserker Rage
    Unarmed Combat
    Smithing (There is an encrust that gives a shield some massive offensive bonuses.)
    Big game Hunter/Assassination/fungal arts/Paranormal Investigator

Still experimenting with the last skill. But oh my goodness this is great fun to play.Vampirism plus Master of arms and Shield bearer gives you all the health regen you will need for the rest of the game. And the build works great on NttG because it isn't too reliant on gear. You get to be pretty overpowered around floor 3 And don't start losing effectiveness until RotG floors. You ideally want to get to walk it off in master of arms, duck and cover in shield bearer and drinker of the dead in vampirism and then start putting points in berserker and unarmed.

The best part is, You can easily start killing brax and taking all of the items around floor 6. And when you find a monster zoo. You can increase the game speed and just mash directionals. Later on in the game you can easily farm diggle hell for xp or you can teleport there in a pinch for emergency healing since everything is an animal.

killing dredmor has always been a problem. If you don't get enough raw damage in you will have some trouble killing him. I managed to kill him, but i had to go to diggle hell numerous times to heal.

18. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Unarmed Combat
    Shield Bearer
    Berserker Rage
    Burglary
    Assassination
    Archeology
    Clockwork Knight

First you should level up some times in Unarmed Combat because you lack damage in Dwarven Moderation. If you can about 2-hit kill enemies you should invest in Clockwork Knight once to get the missile and to be able to longshot stronger enemies. Unarmed combat has a pushing move aswell, and together they are the skills you'll be using most.

Whenever you see an Anvil of Krong, you should really upgrade your Fedora to make it the buffed helmet you'll be wearing all the time. The fedora is pretty much the best starting gear for a rogue/knight.

Whenever your inventory is stacked with some artifacts consider getting an Archeology level. The artifacts are pretty much free xp. Also, because you have Burglary you get more items to sell to Brax. Invest money in Softballs to turn into Lutfisk. Lutfisk should also be made from bolts, since you have no use for them, and they give you armour (useful) or weapons (it belongs in a museum).

Because 80% of the artifacts are weapons you'll get a steady xp rate increase and you should increase Shield Bearer or Berserker Rage for defense and counter.

Pretty much the rest is investing in offensive skills and shield bearer. Also, since 'This translation is all wrong!' can get you better artifacts, you should use it on weaker artifacts because the skill has no good use to your fedora anyways.

19. GreyICE

GreyICE Member

I don't understand the choice of Burglary over Tinkering when you're already taking clockwork knight. Tinkering:

1) Boosts trap removal WAY better than Burglary
    2) Boosts Clockwork Knight skills
    3) Offers GREAT encrusts
    4) Allows you to craft bolts at a disturbing pace
    5) Offers good crossbows that work before floor 11 (past that CoE weapons should eat your crossbows, but)

Burglary:

1) Offers lockpicks. If you need the XP, run around the floor killing stuff
    2) Lets you yoink items from vending machines/brax - meh.
    3) Offers escape skills (Oooh, teleports. Clockwork Knight doesn't have any)

Tinkering just seems better if you're already taking CK. The only really unique thing burglary is offering there is an extra spawn for every shop, and ~15-20 random item drops doesn't seem worth it over the encrusts and greater skills tinkering offers. Hell, the fact you can reliably remove traps with just tinkering means you even start to equal lockpick XP later on.

20. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Member

I'm having great fun with this one:
    1. Unarmed Combat
    2. Archery
    3. Shields
    4. Burglary
    5. Tinkering
    6. Archaeology
    7. Paranormal Investigator
    Archaeology lets me get rid of weapon artifacts that I don't use (aka all of them), I'm getting plenty of damage from bolts once Tinkering is maxed out, and Unarmed plus two shields gives me tanking galore, with all the side benefits of Paranormal Investigator. 25 Magic Resist is huge, and while not the best it remains useable throughout the entire game.