You darn astrologer's hat!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by applekid, Aug 10, 2011.

1. applekid

applekid Member

I was picking out my skill and picked astrology and archaeology. I of course wanted my fedora not realizing I would get that other hat. Not sure if this is working as intended or if there should be an option to choose one or the other/have a precedence set.

2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Apparently your hat is determined by the last skill you select. Try picking Archaeology last during skill selection.

(Although some say this doesn't work in some cases)

3. Incendax

Incendax Member

It never works for me no matter what skill I pick last. At least for me the order is ALWAYS...

Unarmed > Astrology > Golemancy > Archaeology.

Edit: See below for further testing.

4. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Some hats are dependent on the class in which you invested the most skills. The unarmed hat, for example, will only appear if you have more warrior skills than rogue/wizard. The same might apply to archeology.

To test it, try making a character with the same skills, but replace all hat giving skills with a skill of the same class, so replace astrology with pyro or math or something, and see if you can get the fedora. If you do.... uhh... try your desired build with all the NON hat giving skills replaced with random rogue skills, and see if the fedora bypasses your astrology hat.

5. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Yeah, the 'class' requirement sounds like the problem. I usually take a lot of Rogue skills (crafting, burglary and archaeology) which would explain why I never have a problem getting the Fedora.

Perhaps the order you pick the skills only matters when your class #'s are equal. Or perhaps it's just wrong.

6. Incendax

Incendax Member

Looks like I just needed a completely different approach to the way I select my skills! There definitely seems to be some truth to the idea that the number of class skills you pick influences your choices.

Sword, Axe, Mace, Unarmed, Perception, Burglar, Archaeology = Hachimaki.
    Swords, Axes, Unarmed, Artful, Perception Burglar, Archaeology = Fedora.
    Archaeology, Burglar, Perception, Artful, Swords, Axes, Unarmed = Fedora.
    Archaeology, Burglar, Perception, Swords, Axes, Maces, Unarmed = Hachimaki.
    Magic Training, Blood Mage, Golemancy, Unarmed, Perception, Burglar, Archaeology = Golemancer Hat.

This trend continues for all uneven matches. Any time I generate a 1/3/3 match I get Unarmed > Astrology > Golemancy > Archaeology.

I also just tried all 7 magic skills with Golemancy as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th and as long as Astrology was one of my other skill picks I got the Astrology Hat.

So no idea how to get a Golemancy Hat if you ever pick Astrology. I'm not certain if anybody would actually care.

7. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Interesting note. I guess the 'last skill you pick' comment on the wiki is completely bogus.