Wizardlands external references

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Borodin, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Borodin

Borodin Member

The references in the new expansion to various things outside the game.

For example, I'm seeing treasure chests that look like four-side pyramids with the top cut off, in a kind of purple with gold inlay. Unless I miss my guess, those were to be found in Might and Magic III.

Over to you.

2. Does flavor text or names of encrusts count? 'cause there's a ton.

3. Borodin

Borodin Member

Sure does. :)

4. Frelus

Frelus Member

Quote from myself in the shoutout thread:
    ""And therefore, a witch!" comes from this classic:

"Doctor Strangelove" is from "Doctor Strangelove or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb"
    "Faust" is from "Dr. Faustus", adapted multiple times (my favourite is Goethe's but that my be because I am German ;))
    "Simon Belmont" is a reference to a Castlevania protagonist."

These are the achievements I could identify, the "Golbez Is My New Master" is a reference to FF4, but I do not know what exactly it references, especially as all the pictures I could find of Golbez were without any polearm wielded by him.

5. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

"Golbez Is My New Master" is referring to the spear-wielding character Kain, who was indeed controlled by Golbez before Golbez turned good... or so I recall.

6. darius404

darius404 Member

Exactly. "Golbez is my new master" is one of Kain's lines when you meet up with him again and have to fight him.

7. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Member

I know the "Dwarven Atom Smasher" craftable mace is a nod to Dwarf Fortress: a Dwarven Atom Smasher is a contraption that uses a drawbridge to smash things out of existence by crushing them under it.

8. Highwang

Highwang Member

Monofiber sword had to be my favorite, its a reference to the Ringworld book series.

But really, Dredmor's pack full of references that only 80s-90s kids would get.

Kablooie and Kazeto like this.
  9. Deathonabun

Deathonabun Member

Wright's Irrefutable Argument is an obvious one (Phoenix Wright).

The tourist skill tree is probably at least partly a reference to Nethack, where there was a tourist class that also started with a camera, though the similarities end there.

10. Quarky

Quarky Member

And that is a reference to Twoflower in the Discworld series.

11. Borodin

Borodin Member

As I'm playing at the moment with a few mods, I don't know whether this is base DoD, CoW, or a mod. Still...

I just came across Lewton's Concentrate. Does that ever bring back memories: players of Betrayal of Krondor will know why.

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Roguish Renovations is the one I think. I believe it was added in the .57 version.

13. Borodin

Borodin Member

Thanks for catching that. :) I'll probably restart a character with Egyptian Magic and drop the current modded one.

OmniNegro likes this.
  14. The encrust I was thinking of was "Gaga's Glaze". Also known as "slap some meat on your armor."