[WIP][Monster Sprite]The Faux Diggle

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Rhadamante, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

I just started working on an edit of the diggle monster sprite based on a ridiculous idea I got (these are the best right ?) and I wanted to share the first 2 animations I finished to get some feedback about it.
    It's a work in progress and might not even get completed (lazy me) but it's still open to criticism and suggestions.

As the title implies, it's not a real diggle, more like a "diggle".
    [​IMG]

The first animation, its attack (it can't use its "nose", too fragile) :
    [​IMG]

The second, its death :
    [​IMG]

Psiweapon, Ruigi, OmniNegro and 4 others like this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Quite good, nice work!

edit: since you asked for criticism, its right foot on the end of the death animation looks a little weird to me.

3. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

That sprites looks like the diggle version of this guy.

[​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Hah, clever! I always like to see new monster-y stuff. I see you based the dagger stab anim off the hero dagger anim! :D

My only crit would be that the diggle loses a bit of mass when it stabs outward - its body is twisting, yes, but diggles are still pretty rotund. Give it some more belly under the beak to the left where you have empty space right now.

5. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

Thank you. I'm not sure what I can do about the leg though since I'm pretty sure I didn't touch the original sprite in that regard. I can still modify it if you can nail what seems weird to you.

Nice catches, yes I used the hero's dagger and yes, it seems the diggle's belly lost some of its volume at some point, I'll correct that, thank you.

edit : there was also the zip mysteriously disappearing at the end of the attack motion. :/

6. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

Run FauxDiggle, Run !

[​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

Finally finished all the animations, tested it in game, turns out like this :

FauxDiggle.jpg

Probably needs some more tweaking but as I've been working on this the past week, I'll need other people to test it for me.
    I've put together a little mod for that.

Attached Files:

OmniNegro and Daynab like this.
  8. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

I started working on another Diggle (who doesn't love more diggles ?) and I'd like feedback on it before I start doing the actual animations :

ZombieDiggle.jpg

Yes it's an attempt at a Zombie Diggle of some sort.

ps : if possible, can the title of the thread be changed to something more fitting like [WIP][Monster Sprites] More Diggles ! as I intend to create a few more of them and don't want to create a new thread each time.

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. Ruigi

If you're doing custom diggle sprites, the rogue diggle scientist, diggle rocketeer and diggle harbinger (tesla cyborg diggle) could use thier own sprites. If it's good, Gaslamp might even add it to the YHTNTEP content.

10. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

That's actually something I thought about. A lot of Diggles could use just a little editing to make them recognizable (the thirsty diggle holding an empty bottle, this kind of easy things to add). Too bad it's not possible to overwrite existing monsters with mods (it's not possible right ?).

11. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Oh damnit where is the info on Dredmor sprite formatting and files?!

12. Ruigi

nope, which is why Gaslamp would have to take your work and add it to the official content.

13. Rhadamante

Rhadamante Member

Well I can tell you how I work : I just take the original diggle's .spr files, use this to convert them in their .xml + .png equivalent. Then I simply edit the .png. I use the much simpler Paint Shop Pro 7 for that which allow to easily edit palettes, set transparency and this kind of things. There are probably other (better) easy to use, free programs out there, but Im familiar with PSP7 so I tend to stick with it.
    It's actually fairly easy to get started, the hardest part is making it work as an animation.

That's a shame. Is it in the modding request already ?

14. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Very cool sprites, sir.
    I think that, if you wanna work on a project, you could help the Debacle of Diggles with the sprites those creatures deserve.
    Just saying.