[WIP] Chaos Theme skills

Discussion in 'Modding' started by zeemeerman2, Jan 19, 2012.

1. zeemeerman2

zeemeerman2 Member

I was thinking about a chaos-themed skills, inspired by Magic: The Gathering's chaos-themed card decks. These are card that don't really help you, but mix things up for all players and in general, make the game more fun. (That said, a chaos-themed deck may have some win combo's too!)

Cards that come to mind are cards like Knowledge Pool, where you can basically cast spells from other players instead of yours.

I thought of making this possible in Dungeons of Dredmor. It's already within the general theme: unfair Monster Zoos, the enemy with one hp left that counters your Special-Attack-of-Awesome-Instant-Death, and the randomness of Krong's mood, as well as the humor of the game in general.

Things that came to mind were:
    • Randomizing skills, so that Burliness might for example increase Dodge chance instead of Melee Power.
    • Randomizing mana cost (Spells may cost health instead!), proc chances, cooldown ...
    • A very über-strong skill that can be so strong that it may crash the game and one Steam/Desura/HiB-server.
    • A spell that casts a random other spell, with a chance even a spell you haven't unlocked yet.
    • Randomized experience gain on your next experience gain. (e.g. if you normally would get +100 EXP, you now can get 0 EXP to 200 EXP instead)
    • A spell that teleports you to the middle of a Monster Zoo. If used when not triggered a monster zoo at the current level yet, your reward for clearing the monster zoo has their one of their stats increased by +1 (e.g. instead of +2 block and +3 dodge, it might have +2 block and +4 dodge), making it slightly better.
    • An inventory management spell: today you have lots and lots of cheese. I have an idea for a spell that changes one stack of cheese into a random other type of cheese. E.g. healing a stack of 3 Aged Cheeses (healing for 9 each) to a stack of 3 Brie Cheeses (healing for 13 each). You might have another stack of Brie Cheeses in your inventory, so you can stack them together, taking up less space total.
      It might even backfire, changing it into a lutefisk, which isn't a cheese and can't be re-transformed, though it helps your stance with the Lutefisk God.
    • Making you sneeze spells instead of casting them. I don't know what it does statically, it just seems fun flavor text though...
    • Changing room layout in the dungeon level, as a tribute to the Labyrinth board game.
    • Changing something... (can be interesting, like changing a quest objective or a shop's item prices, to something simple as changing a room name, or something visually, like the character's gender)
    • A spell that does something with the teleport squares, levers, or traps.
    • A spell that changes your skill, e.g. from Tinkering to an equal amount of levels in another skill, like Artful Dodging.
    Do you like it? Can you think of more randomness? You may post it.
    Also, I'm not sure about what's possible with the modding. The Game-Crashing skill is possible, as proven in another thread, but only on pc's from a certain type of fruit (I won't call any names!). Other skills, I'm not sure fully sure at all if they're possible. But it's interesting to think of ideas, then eliminate which are impossible technically and use the rest in a mod.
    Thanks for reading. And TL;DR: Just read the bullet points. ;)
    I give you all a warm farewell! Enjoy The Game until you've won!
    ~ Zee

2. jadkni

jadkni Member

I'm fairly certain that most of these aren't possible :(

But I'm not exactly a modding guru, so I could be wrong.

3. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Wut? Also, most, if not all, of that is not possible at the moment. Otherwise I would've made it already ;]

4. Yes, you might well enjoy CA's "Disciple of Chaos" mod, give it a try and see whether it tickles your fancy!

5. jadkni

jadkni Member

Well, I don't think any of
    these are possible... but I could be totally wrong.

6. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

First is not possible
    Second is almost possible (but is not)
    Third is not possible
    Fourth is not possible.

7. Robert

Robert Member

Sounds cool dude hope you can finish it.