Who is Wiggins the Lovable Orphan?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alephred, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

And why is his name stamped on my Save Game files? I sense the rubbery tentacle of Cosmic Horrors at work here.

2. Micah J Best

Micah J Best Member

Unfortunately the reality is less interesting -- a little less cosmic and horror-y ( though I can be scary before I've had my morning coffee). That's just the default name for the player automatically defined in config.xml that I put in randomly a year ago. I changed it just before Early Access to be 'Cogsbronze' to match the (currently unsettable) name in the embark screen. There were a lot of orphan jokes going around the office at the time and I though it would be a funny temporary thing. It's still a temporary thing, but a great deal more temporary than I would have figured.

3. Deaghaidh

Deaghaidh Member

Wait, wouldn't something being more temporary means it lasts less time than expected?

Also I assumed the explanation would be that saved game functionality is powered by a forsaken child.

4. Ghin

Ghin Member

When are you guys planning to implement renaming things? It's pretty easy to write something to rename variables once you have time, isn't it? I hope this doesn't come off as snarky: I have trouble coding a calculator program and I'm pretty sure I could do it in less than 30 minutes. I have below Artist Level Programming skills lol

edit: Oh, I'm dumb. I figured it out. I'm guessing that's going to come with the big Saving patch. See this is what I mean by Artist Level haha

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

(Artist programming note: Making a text entry widget that's any good is actually a ton of work.)

... that said, I have made a ticket for changing your Bureaucrat Name: OC-1823 ; I can make no promise about when this will go in, but it exists in our system now.

6. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

7. Ghin

Ghin Member

Oh I meant to do a quick dirty fix like the ESC menu in game that says "An Array of Options" as a placeholder or the "minimap" lol

I'm imagining something like a Comic Sans text that's two inches off center diagonally. Then someone haphazardly threw a dart at it and pasted a clip art image in the center of that hole. The kind of thing that would make anyone with an ounce of taste cringe in horror. Something like this:

[​IMG]

lol or then there's also the inverse that I would call Programmer Art where the programmer is waiting for the art to come in, so he draws it in as a giant blue square.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014