Which Elder Sign to use?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Xyvik, Feb 19, 2013.

?

Which Elder Sign do you prefer?

1. Derleth’s Pentagram

7.7%
  2. Lovecraft's Pine Branch

53.8%
  3. Now for something completely different...

38.5%
  1. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

A simple question, perhaps, but one which I thought worthy of discussion. In the Story of Shiveringhope the Anti-Paranormal Investigation Squadron can clearly be seen sporting the Elder Sign ( here on the helmet and also here as sort of a necklace)

Now obviously this art can’t be considered the final design on things and that allows us to discuss which Elder Sign should be used. Because, you see, there are two of them.

As overviewed right here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Sign) the pentagram-based design is not actually the original Elder Sign as described by Lovecraft himself, and that gives Gaslamp a chance to do something a little different. They can do the more popular and more readily-known version or they can be true to Lovecraft himself and go a different path. Here is my list of pros and cons that I feel represent each of the two options as well as a third: doing a completely original symbol.

Derleth’s Pentagram
    [​IMG]
    Pros: Most widely known
    Instantly recognizable by anyone with D&D or Lovecraft background (even Arkham Horror uses it)
    Cons: Over-used
    Does not reflect Lovecraft’s own design

Lovecraft’s Pine Branch
    [​IMG]
    Pros: Direct from Lovecraft himself
    Isn’t oversaturated and therefore more unique (part of Gaslamp’s stated goal on Clockwork)
    Cons: Nobody knows what the heck it is
    A pine branch? A tree? Huh? (Confusion!)

A Completely Unique Elder Sign
    [​IMG]
    Pros: The most unique option, giving Clockwork a totally original imagery
    Cons: Requires design discussion, work, and More Time Not Spent Making Game

So! What are your thoughts? Which do you prefer, and why?

ViperLawson and Kazeto like this.
  2. Imperial dane

Imperial dane Member

Well i suppose the question is actually. IS IT an Elder Sign ? And not just say. The Symbol of the ministry in question ? To indicate that they deal with the more unnatural business. Because judging from that second image you provided, it does not seem to provide much protection :p

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

I think it's just a common pentagram actually. Lovecraft certainly didn't invent it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram

It has been around ever since Pythagore and commonly used by all sorts of pagans, heretics, satanists, sects and more recently as a symbol for occult, paranormal and evil thingies.

4. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

It is. As the Wikipedia page on the Elder Sign points out, since Lovecraft only once described the Elder Sign in an off-hand reference, Derleth decided to use a Pentagram-shape design for his "Elder Sign."

Lovecraft himself drew the pine branch, which (as I voted) I think makes for a more interesting and unique design.

As for whether the symbols used by the Anti-Paranormal peeps is supposed to be an Elder Sign: it is supposed to be a protector against evil things (much like a pentagram was supposed to be) so I was automatically assuming that was what they were going for.

5. Imperial dane

Imperial dane Member

well if you'd read the OP. he pointed out that was the other guys pentagram, lovecrafts was different. But yeah. Pretty common symbol.

As for it being a protector symbol. Likely, but it might be a regular pentagram or something more specific to their universe.

6. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Yeah, I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be the Elder Sign, although that was just where my mind automatically went.

So on that vein then: I personally believe the pentagram is far overused in anything that even touches on fantasy, so then what could we suggest Gaslamp could use? The top half of a cog, looking like a rising sun? A cloud-like design that represents Steam and the Power of Technology? I really think Clockwork Empires deserves something other than the tired old pentagram, whether it's an Elder Sign or not/

7. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Well according to me symbols need to be easily understood that's their primary function. That's why best symbols are simple symbols, we remember them more easily and are easier to reproduce.

You could represent death with something else than a Skull but what would be the point ? It would confuse people.
    Same here, you could use something else than a Pentagram, to represent occult/paranormal things, but it's not worth it if it's confusing;

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Imperial dane

Imperial dane Member

And if the story of which the symbol and the unit it was attached to was any indicator. We're not dealing with the most original of thinkers :p

9. judge cog

judge cog Member

you can hit a monster with a pine branch but not a pentagram

10. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

While I do agree in part, I also think that that's sort of lazy, don't you? Death can be represented by all manner of things other than skulls, especially if you get creative. Scythes, gravestones, winged chariots, wilted flowers...and we'll already seen that the gravestones of Clockwork Empires are Cog-based designs.

So why not get a little more creative with this aspect? We have a society here that worships a Divine Mechanic instead of God and who worship the Holy Cog instead of the Holy Cross. Why would a pentagram have any meaning in this world?

Well...you -could-, but it would have to be a pentagram-shaped hammer. Which would leave all sorts of weird marks, let me tell you!

11. Imperial dane

Imperial dane Member

I suppose because it's a nice geometric shape .. or whatever it's called. As there has been talked about unnatural geometries i do believe..

Kazeto likes this.
  12. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Been thinking about this, good points were made, and I might go with "The Unblinking Eye Of The Baleful Star" w/ royal crown above as a symbol for the Ministry of Defense Against Interplanar Incursion (which has its name changed at the beginning of every session of Parliament, which is terribly confusing to everyone).

13. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I want to see a flaming rubber ducky.

14. hihohe

hihohe Member

randomly generated, every game will have a new cult to a new Old God.

Xyvik likes this.
  15. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Now this I like! It would make it very hard to write the fiction of the world what with random Elder Gods showing up always, but it certainly has a nice ring to it.

ViperLawson likes this.