What's your favourite Build Category? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Arron Syaoran, Aug 19, 2012.

?

What is your favourite Skill/Build Combo/Type?

1. Pure Warrior(7 Warrior)

15.6%
  2. Pure Rogue(7 Rogue)

12.5%
  3. Pure Wizard(7 Wizard)

25.0%
  4. Gish(1-6 Warrior, 1-6 Wizard)

25.0%
  5. Rogue/Warrior(1-6 Warrior, 1-6 Rogue)

37.5%
  6. Rogue/Mage(1-6 Rogue, 1-6 Wizard)

15.6%
  7. Perfectly Balanced(2-3 + 1-4 + 1-4)

15.6%
  8. Variety mix(1 + 1-5 + 1-5)

28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I've noticed that alot of people have different preferences on Warrior/Rogue/Wizard Skills. What kind of "Class" do people play most(when not choosing random builds)? I personally prefer Pure Rogue or Rogue/Warrior Combo, because well, I'm an Android Rogue.

Edit: I know a Wizard/Warrior is called a "Gish", but what are Rogue/Warrior and Wizard/Rogues called?

2. Deathonabun

Deathonabun Member

If you want, you could go with the game's description of them:

• Bard (Rogue/Wizard)
    • Pirate (Rogue/Warrior)
    • Monk (Warrior/Mage)
    Personally, I like 'em.

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

This is the first and only forum where I've seen the term 'Gish' -- it's one of the worst pieces of slang I've ever heard, and whoever invented it ought to be locked in a cage with spectators yelling 'Gish' at them 24/7 until they admit that it's a horrible word and sign an oath that they will never ever use that term again.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest...
    I have very little preference -- I selected every option except for Perfectly Balanced, Pure Rogue, and Pure Mage. Personally, when I set out to choose skills, I don't think to myself 'today I'm going to play a pure X'. Instead, I either totally randomize the skill selections, or I think "These (1/2/3/4) skills should be interesting to play together, lets choose a few others that might be useful as well". I'm never thinking 'Ooh I'm a warrior' or 'I'm a Rogue'. It's more like 'I'm a geo/viking mace-wielding burglar with a couple of other skills selected either randomly or because I haven't really explored them much. Or I may be thinking 'lets concentrate on crafting, because I love crafting'.

The only real distinction between a 'mage' and a non-mage is that mages use mana. Or so the official story goes. But skills like Warlockery, which in any other game would be pure warrior, uses more mana than any other skill in the game. Or Viking Magic certainly uses mana, but it's a skill that you usually pick if you are planning on doing some melee, which is a very unwizardly thing to do (at least in traditional games).

In my mind, it's a fantasy game so even the melee attacks work by magic. Calling yourself a warrior or a mage is simplly a hold-over from an antiquated concept, in my mind. You are not any less of a warrior because you use viking magic or warlockery, ley lines and blood magic, nor are you any less of a warrior because you use a bow or assassination or use a wand or cast fire or turn invisible using a potion. It's all equally magical the way it's handled so who cares?

I think more in terms of ranged vs. melee and single-target vs. AE and support skills vs. Attack skills vs. Defense skills. Oh and heals (and I don't care where those heals come from, magic or commy health care).

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Hmm...
    It depends on the situation, but generally speaking I prefer builds that are pretty rogue-esque, but not poor pure.

Usually, I have 3 rogue skills trees, 1 wizard skill tree, 1 warrior skill tree, 1 wizard/warrior skill tree and 1 wild card. That means the possible sets (rogue/warrior/wizard) are 3/3/1, 3/2/2, 3/1/3, 4/2/1 and 4/1/2).

Edit: Auto-correction, why do you hate me so much? T_T

5. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I'm basically basing this poll on The 3 Statpoint figures found in the game. Do you get Statpoints after all your skills are capped? Or is every level past (23-43 or so) just as good as the last?

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You only get more stats if you can get more skills. Thus, after you cap everything, you can't get any stronger (equipment notwithstanding).

7. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I'll take that into consideration. I *think* i end up at level 22-23 by floor 10(or was it 15), on average. This thread has officially turned into the "What Character Level do most people end up on when they run into Lord Dredmor?" thread.

8. Giygas

Giygas Member

I usually do a variety: 1 point in to Wizard (alchemy) and the rest in Warrior and Rogue.

Sometimes I do Rogue Scientist instead of Alchemy.

9. Aegho

Aegho Member

Variety is by far my most common one(which was my vote), followed by balanced (IE: 1 or 2 wizard skills(alchemy/wand lore)), the rest a mix of warrior/rogue. Then again I do play mostly craft heavy.

I've played rogue/mage as well, but less often.

The only pure I'd even consider playing would be rogue, because: traps.

10. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I almost never play pure anything, simply because more options = better, IMO, and you can't get all the options in a single archetype. Rogues are the best fuel tanks, warriors the best turbochargers and mages the best engines. They all have payload options. But in the end, I lean heavily to basing my builds on Warrior skills. I've found some fun magic-based skill sets.

I think the archetypes are important for the stats they give you, but on the whole I do think like Haldurson when character building, more a "what specifically do I want to be today?" not "am I a rogue or a mage?" question. I'm pretty neutral on the term Gish, though.

Also, I tend to think of the DoD archetypes as:

Steel Master (pure warrior)
    Spell and Sword (mage/warrior)
    Grinder (one warrior engine backed by six melee turbochargers)
    Swashbuckler (anyone with tons of counter attack)
    Shadow Dancer (pure rogue)
    Hunter (ranged attack master)
    Wizard (pure wizard)
    Shadow Bender (rogue/wizard specializing in debuffs)
    World Slayer (AoE attacks)

I could go on, but I think you get the idea...

11. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

What does Turbocharger/Engine/Payload/Fuel Tank mean?

12. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It's covered in the first post of the Community Skill Guide, so I won't rehash it here, suffice it to say it's part of how I categorize skills.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I think this poll means far less than some here think it does. Some builds have skills that may be called warrior, rogue, or wizard. But are played in a unique way that makes this poll mostly irrelevant.

This is every bit as useful as asking the player what color they would paint the hair of their character if they could.

I picked both Perfectly Balanced and Mixed. When I make a character, I do not even see the class at all. I see the skills. I see what this character will do with them. I do not care what those skills fall under.

Staves are a *Wizard* skill?! Really? I never once cast spells with them. But that is how it is. I ignore class.

14. Zalminen

Zalminen Member

I'm think it's originally a D&D term and originally referred to Githyanki.
    Later it was used to refer to any Fighter/Wizard type character and I've seen it used in more forums than I've bothered to count.

15. Deathonabun

Deathonabun Member

I prefer using terms like Spellsword and Magic Knight, because that way my name doesn't sound like stepping in something icky.

16. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

17. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Thread closed. I found out that it doesn't matter what "class" people play, and that the numbers say that the different class builds are pretty much random, spare for the fact that few people run "pure builds". I want everyone to try the "Pure Build Challenge", Defeat Dredmor as Pure Wizard, Pure Warrior, and Pure Rogue in the meantime. Also, I will NEVER use the term Gish again. I'll stick to Monk/Pirate/Bard from now on.

18. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

That cookie would probably taste like Plague rot.

Edit: Why is there no Diggle Emoticon? Make it so!

19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

For all I know, I've already beaten the game with a pure build, only I wasn't paying attention lol. (I have had an awful memory since as far back as I can remember, which probably isn't that far lol). Some fellow students back in grade school nicknamed me "the absent-minded Professor" at one point, which I guess is kind of a compliment, except that my best friend was simply "Professor".

So I'm just going to assume that I already have beaten the game with a pure build even though I may not have. Well, technically, I have beaten it with a pure crafting build, but that was a while back (my first GR/PD win, I believe). Don't ask me what my non-crafting skills were though, though I'm sure it was something with melee maybe rogue maybe squish umm. Swish? Knish? I refuse to use that other word.

20. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I figured a Pure crafting build included: CK, Rogue Scientist, Alchemy, Tinkering, Smithing, Wandcraft, last skill is up to you. Anyway, was this before or after the change from "all craft skills being same class" to "smithing=warrior, alchemy=wizard, tinkering=rogue"?