What ranking do you have in DoD?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Shadowplay, May 11, 2012.

1. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

I just realised there are rankings in DoD and apparantly I am number 39 world wide in DMDP which kinda suprised me quite a bit - and was, not to mention, pretty hilarious seeing.

What rankings do you guys have? Is the DoD forum community in the top compared to the rest of the world? :D

Edit: Woops not GRPD - and it was 39 not 36 :p I am waaaay longer down on the list for GRPD

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'm probably on the very bottom; I don't have much time to spend on playing DoD, and I almost never play it via Steam (instead playing on a copy, since that way I don't have to worry about Steam doing something weird with it) and I never checked my scores on the copy, as idiotic as it sounds.

3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

4. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

On the DMPD leaderboard, I'm Global Rank #183.

5. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Does anyone know how the game calculates your score? I did pretty horribly in the DMPD run while doing excellent in the GRPD and yet I ended up light years ahead in the DMPD run for some reason, point wise. Not that it matters - just curious :)

6. Marak

Marak Member

Ha, I must be nowhere on the leaderboards, even with a DMPD Diggle Gods full clear I never get much more than 1.1 million points. WTF are the people with 4 mil doing? Grinding respawns? Abusing It Belongs In A Museum? Inputting stupid-high scores into the .txt file?

7. FaxCelestis

Museum, definitely. And killing literally everything.

8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Bergstrom made a post about Museum and Crownstars somewhere. I think that's where these numbers are coming from. BTW, how do I go about checking these leaderboards?

EDIT: Found. My GRPD standing is apparently #282

9. FaxCelestis

10. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sadly, I stopped playing the game through Steam way long ago. Though with Steam Workshop coming online soon, I'll probably start again and find out. :)

11. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

My test run to figure out whether or not Archaeology and the Crownstar were broken / actually allowed you to skip floors scored #24 on the worldwide GR (not PD) list, at 3,409,760 points.

My usual play mode is GRPD, but I rarely survive to the end game so my GRPD rating is like 360 or something.

A huge factor in your score is XP. NTTG doubles it, and Archaeology showers you in it from start to finish. I would guess the combo of Museum and NTTG is the cause of the scores for most of those people.

Except the guy in #1 on steam's GR list, he's clearly just editing the xml. His score is 15x the second place.

12. Giygas

Giygas Member

Mine WOULD be #92 on GRPD, but when I play on my mac it doesn't register high scores or achievements or anything so it's actually around 900~ or something.

13. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Lorr's New Goal: GRPD, NttG victory using Archeology + Burglary + Tinkering for every achievable piece of XP in the dungeon resulting in absurdly high final score. Will report outcome someday soon...

14. mining

mining Member

Krong bolts of mass destruction too.

15. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

You.... you can krong ammunition?

Wow thats awesome! Krong bolts of squid and mass destruction!

16. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I'm apparently rank 384 on GRPD, which doesn't surprise me since I've never really payed attention to my scores before. I am largely unaware of what criteria determines score. Though, I suppose rank 384 among thousands of players ain't bad.

Also: Krong'ed ammo? What the...?

17. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm pretty sure that Kronging BMDs and the like would be wasteful and not terribly beneficial. The way to maximize xp pay out is to krong items with an artifact quality rating. XP formula from museum is (Item Star Rating) x (# of Krong bonuses) x 60 (x2 if on NTTG). To get the largest product, you want to increase all the factors/multiplicands/coefficients in that equation.

BMDs have one high multiplicand, but aren't very high in the other because they have no inherent artifact quality. There are certain items in the game that get a special extra boost the first time they are kronged, termed "artifact quality" in the game files. Sometimes you'll find them in the dungeon with their artifact quality already triggered, but more often than not it's dormant and needs to be triggered by beating it on an Anvil of Krong.

A BMD will only get on average 1 boosted stat from a kronging, so it's 10 x 1 x 60 x 2 = 1200 xp on NTTG. By comparison, a Malleus Maleficarium has artifact quality 6, so after 1 kronging it typically produces 9 x 6 x 60 x2 = 6480 xp. A four-star item with artifact quality three waiting to be activated is all it takes to out-perform the kronged BMD. Timelord scarves are like 18,000 xp. The crownstar is nearly 50,000 as it's pre-krong NTTG museum base, and goes up by another 1,680 xp on average should you choose to Krong it. BMD's got nothing on that.

You have a limited number of krongings per run-through, and that number is less than the number of artifact quality items you will find in the game. Piling up multiple krongings on an item will increase the xp payout, but it doesn't scale very much. +1680 per kronging on a crownstar sounds good till you realize you could have used one of those krongings on a malleus's and received +9,000 xp you wouldn't otherwise have. I'm pretty sure that if you only use the anvils on high-star items that have an un-activated artifact quality rating of 3 or more, you will get the highest dividends. For maximum points, you probably want to wait until the late-game, then go back and use the anvils on your unactivated artifact quality items roughly in the order from most stars to fewest.

I feel kinda dirty just thinking about this, let alone giving people advice on how to abuse the system.

I should kiss goodbye my 24th place now that I've posted this, because anyone who sets out from the first floor to maximize xp toward this end will easily outstrip my run with a little effort and planning. I had already played about 7 floors and used up all the anvils there when the whole idea of crownstar-rushing was brought to my attention in the other thread.

Oh, well. Steam ranking on this game is meaningless anyway, as evidenced by the obvious cheater in the #1 slot on the GR list with over 100 million points. There's nothing to stop anyone from just opening up itemDB and copy-paste the crownstar 14 times, setting each one to a different level. Or, heck, just alter every item in the game to have an artifact quality of 99. Then you can clobber Dredmor with ease and cakewalk from floor 1 on down, as well as get your name on the scoreboard. You could probably complete the process in about an hour, If that's what floats your boat.

Of course, we'll all see your score there and know how you got it.

18. Marak

Marak Member

Sorta disappointing that the only way to have a shot at a "high score" is to game the system. A normal run will result in a score barely 25% as high as the person(s) who decide to abuse the math behind score determination, and go with a NTTG/Archaeology build.

Having the highest score isn't about being good at the game or beating Dredmor on GR/PD, instead it all boils down to a single Ability on the quicker-to-finish game mode and how many Crownstars the Random Number God conjures up for you. Bleah.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  19. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Kronging a Gnome hat you kronged is 9000-10.000-something exp iirc. I never saw the benefit of random blinks - if anything, I see them as a reliability so I'd much rather just get rid of them if I can.

just saying. I fouind like 4 of them in a single run and krong+museum'd all of them and it was glorious.

20. Giygas

Giygas Member

Don't forget Alchemy for those Windows of Elements amulets. In essence, they are mini Addendums.