What games are you playing and why?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I'm entering... the Gungeon.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Samut

Samut Member

i've been playing Dominions 4 in Gaslamp's online grudge match since it started in mid-February. Great fun.

3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Dwarf Fortress with a Fluffy Abuse mod added

4. jotwebe

jotwebe Gained the People's Ovation and Fame Forever

Tharsis... is a board-gamey roguelite about a spaceship on its way to Mars. It shares some themes with CE, like breaking modules, !!FUN!!, and cannibalism. Pretty much "Loosing is Fun" the game, haven't even come close to winning yet.

5. Samut

Samut Member

Is that the game where you roll dice and then distribute them around the ship to perform actions?

6. jotwebe

Well first you distribute them, then you roll the dice.

Here's a starting situation, I now choose each crewperson and tell send them to a module.

[​IMG]

Then I roll their dice and allocate them.

[​IMG]

After I did that for every crew member, damage hits and if the ship someone is still alive and the ship hasn't yet broken apart, I get an interlude.

[​IMG]

Always two choices, the more stress they have the more it's a choice between loosing an arm or a two legs.

[​IMG]

If you didn't manage to tend the hydroponics, it's astronaut for dinner.

[​IMG]

Cannibals get that special deranged look.

[​IMG]

Well at least they didn't suffer too long.

Samut likes this.
  7. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Bouncing between Chaos Overlords, Vertical Drop Heroes HD and Dungeons of Dredmor

8. Samut

Samut Member

Thanks for the explanation, jotwebe.

9. jotwebe

Allllmost made it. On the last leg of the journey, you need someone in flight control. I could spare someone, but she took damage moving through the damaged modules on the way and more trying to repair it (or rather hoping for a 3 to research a massive repair event).
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately , it wasn't enough to have her there at the beginning of the last turn resolution - the damage she took from unrepaired modules was too much for her, and so in the end we didn't have a pilot after all. The landing didn't quite go as planned.
    [​IMG]
    Best run so far, and if just one die more had rolled my way, we'd have made it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Armello, the digital boardgame of cute CGI animals fighting to overthrow a mad king

11. jim darnaby

jim darnaby Member

Factorio, CE, Madden, NHL, Prison Architect, and I tried Dwarf Fortress but that game is just too much for me, I am not extremely fluent on the PC, and it basically utilizes every key on the keyboard at some point, which slows me down, plus I have no clue how to do anything, I channel to carve out a fort, but then I cant use it, I cant figure out how to make farms or pins, cant figure out how to use the workshops. It is just a game I am unwilling to put the time in to learn, its more hard core and I am more casual (though factorio is pretty hard core too, but it is so unique that I play it)

Factorio is def a game everyone should look into though. It will give you some tetris affect, youll build and tear down because you have ratios all wrong, I guess you can google how many of each machine is needed to feed something optimally, but that ruins the fun in it. It is fun to look at what you built and watch it go though, factorio can def give you hundreds of hours if you want it (itll take you 100-200 hours to complete the game in your first couple goes probably - yet some german guy (why do germans do all the game speed runs, they really pride themselves on doing things faster) did complete the game on a seeded map in under 2 hours, which is just absolutely positively nuts)

Kazeto likes this.
  12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm not playing a lot of it, but yeah, it's a cool little computer-only board game. I supported it on Kickstarter. Sometimes it doesn't feel though like you have a whole lot of control over your destiny, in spite of all the different actions you can take. What I mean is that sometimes, especially if you use one of the weaker combat characters, it feels like the world is against you. Other players can use you to rack up prestige points by killing you, I've played games where I just could not even get started because every time I tried heading towards a quest goal way across the map, I'd be killed, if not by other players, then by banes. But overall, it's a decent game. There can be a lot of a 'take that' type of vibe to it, if you get the right cards to take advantage of that aspect. In other words,games can turn nasty. I don't generally go in for those kinds of board games, but this isn't as bad as some others that I've played in that respect.

I've been playing some board games lately. Friends and I started a game of Pandemic Legacy. If you are familiar with Pandemic, Pandemic Legacy is essentially the same game, except that you play a series of 12 or more games, and as you play, decisions that you make and bad or good luck that you have in the game, can have permanent repercussions for future games. As you play each successive game, a story unfolds. I wrote a bit about it here: https://haldurson.wordpress.com/2016/08/20/pandemic-legacy-game-1/
    Also, here's my write-up on Pandemic: https://haldurson.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/pandemic/ As far as how we're doing as a team in Pandemic Legacy, we won our January game, lost February, and will retry February probably next week. If you win a month, you move on to the next month, with reduced funding. If lose a month, you can repeat it one time, with increased funding. If you lose two months in a row, you move on to the next month anyway (again, though, with increased funding).

BTW, you can get Pandemic as a mobile app, though I don't recommend it if you plan on playing on a cell phone. And I have not tried playing it on a tablet so I can't speak knowledgeably about that.

I've also played a bit of Codenames (good party game -- probably best with 2 teams of 3 or more, but I've played with 2-person teams It's kind of like a team variant of Password (the TV game show game) with a pasted-on spy theme. It's a lot of fun, and very casual and people will keep wanting to start a new game as soon as you finish your first (games last only about 10 minutes or so). I was actually able to get this one guy to play who was so intimidated to try anything new. After we finished, he begged me to bring the game again next week to our next meet up. So it was a huge success.

I also played a bit of Ticket to Ride, both the computer game and the board game. I only own the basic US map for the physical board game, but have all of the maps for the computer game, and have been playing the Pennsylvania a bit. It adds Stocks to the game. This one guy beat me in a one on one game yesterday afternoon and it was his first time playing. Yeah, there is some luck to it but it plays fast enough that that's ok. It took me about 5 minutes to teach the game, and 30 minutes to an hour to play. There isn't a lot to the game, but that makes it a good gateway game for people who don't usually play board games. And there is more strategy to it than most people realize at first.

Turbo164 and Kazeto like this.