Up To Eleven

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bohandas, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I would like to suggest that the progressions of output quantities for craft items be extended.

All of the crafting stats can be go up to ten or eleven* in an unmodded game but the progressions for the number of potions or thrown weapons or bolts or what-have-you that a recipe can produce usually stops increasing around level six to level eight. I think they should continue theor progression until the canonical maximum (or until the last level prior that wouldn't break their pattern; for example level 9 for a potion whose output quantity increases on odd levels)

*Max crafting stata in an unmodded game are as follows:
    -Tinkering: 11 pts (6 from tinkerer + 2 from Rogue Scientist + 2 from Clockwork Knight + 1 from Tinkerer's Goggles
    -Wandcrafting: 11 pts (6 from wand crafter + 2 from rogue scientist + 2 from two black pearl rings + 1 from the hat of bergstrom)
    -Smithing: 10 pts (6 from smith + 2 from clockwork knight + 2 from dual wielded kronghmers)
    -Alchemy: 10 pts (6 from alchemist + 2 from rogue scientist + 1 from paranormal investigator + 1 from alchemical inspiration)

2. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

That makes sense. I think it'd be better to upgrade the output qualities rather than quantities, though.
    Coming up with better potions and bolts will be more work-intensive for sure, but the difference between N bolts or N+2 bolts on your level 30 Crossbow Rogue isn't going to matter much.
    From a realistic point of view, if I'm already at 9 :tinkerer:, it makes more sense that I'll be able to make a slightly better bolt at the next level, rather than being able to somehow realize I could get a whole extra bolt out of just one ingot.

EDIT: You would be able to 'fisk more if the quantity just went up, so that's good I guess

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If you have the wit to think up names for the upgraded stuff then by all means Gorbax, feel free to do so and pester people to make it into a mod for you. It's not that hard of a modification to make so you shan't have any problems with that.

I say that because it's going to be a long time before a change of this sort would be incorporated into the base game.

4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

This kind of wouldn't work right as a mod because (regardless of whether you increased quality or quantity or both) you would have to change the core craft.xml file

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It would still be a "mod". Just one which requires you to overwrite the core files and thus can't be distributed via Steam.

6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

...or controlled with the mod launcher.
    And which would also be incompatible with any other mod that changed the same core file (unless you have a program like WinMerge and a lot of spare time to manually combine the two files)

7. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Oh yeah no, I don't mind how things are now, I was just thinking out loud after reading Bohandas' suggestion

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

But still, "mod" means "modification". That we simply say "mod" nowadays is for the sake of keeping it short, and a modification which would be a "mod" but happens to modify publicly accessible and editable core files still is a "mod", because it is a modification of it, just one which replaces instead of adding.

And that it doesn't work with the mod launcher (supposedly) and is not compatible with many other mods only means that it's more difficult to install and less compatible with other mods, nothing more and nothing less.

Sorry Bohandas, I really do see your point, but in this case I know what the word means and I know that it qualifies. In fact, you can check the wikipedia article for it (this one) and you will see then that I am right in this case.

9. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Anyway, I didn't say that it wouldn't be a mod, just that it wouldn't work well.

Kazeto likes this.
  10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

True that. I just have that weird tendency to start explaining things needlessly, as demonstrated in this very thread. And I reckon I must have been very tired when I started writing that one.

Anyway, sorry about that. It was stupid of me.

11. Giygas

Giygas Member

Don't forget about the Diggle God of Secrets, whose blessing gives +2 to all crafting stats (except wandcrafting because it gives the old wandlore stat instead which is completely useless, though they may have fixed that). I just wanted to point that out.

Kazeto likes this.
  12. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

About the "Slightly Better" Bolt idea: I think it would be a bad idea as it would clog up active inventory space, especially when combined with mods(such as Android Rogue's Titanium Bolt Lineup), and to have more than Regular->Barbed->Cruelly Barbed->Ingeniously Scythed could pose a threat to Inventory Space(If you keep Thrown, Traps, Potions and Food in your inventory as well).
    If you want more bolts, Just craft an Ingeniously Scythed Titanium Bolt from my mod(requires 8+ Tinkering and gives up to 13 Bolts at Level 9 Tinker). It deals at least 22 Damage per bolt(plus Cbow Damage Bonus), easily 2-3 Shotting High Level Mobs.

Kazeto likes this.