Unit Ideas

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by astaldaran, Mar 6, 2014.

1. astaldaran

astaldaran Member

Name: Steam Warrior, The Army of the Sacred Cog.

Description: Those in the the service of the Queen who prove themselves worthy in combat through massive injury are augmented with steam powered armor that both keeps them alive and provides power for their augmented armor and weapons. These warriors are one with the holy cog and are known as "The Army of The Sacred Cog." Most units serve in a purely defensive role sense they are linked to by hose to the cities steam engines; but some have been outfitted with steam batteries and others advance into war zones by means traveling in groups with large steam wagons carrying either steam batteries or the units remain directly tied to the steam waggons. There are pros and cons to each configuration

Requirements to build: Gravely injured soldier who has shown himself worthy, cogs, hoses/batteries/ machine parts/ etc.

Stats: three times the health of a normal unit; and a truly massive steam powered cannon.

The battery powered ones must be attended by a cleric of the Steam Cog in order to ensure that the power does not run out and prevent the units death.

Other units ideas?

2. Razorsharp

Razorsharp Member

No, I strongly disagree with "unit types". Clockwork empires is made in spirit of dwarf fortress, and in dwarf fortress there was no "unit type". Everything depended on skills and traits, for example - you can train your weak cowardly dwarf to use a spear and armor, or you could train your muscular dwarf to be a marksman and good with a buckler. It's the freedom that allows you to make your own unit type, plus with the traits system in clockwork every unit will have his own personality (AKA one will be a coward, but a good marksman, the other - a brave fool who's good with a sword/bayonet/whatever) so there's no need. And as far as i'm aware steam knights will already be in the game as an elite fighting force, and that's enough flavor for me, rather they would just focus more on the combat itself and the traits, city management etc.

3. astaldaran

astaldaran Member

@Razorsharp

That is a good point (I love how that works in DF); I shouldn't mean unit types in the sense that you have unit types in starcraft;but you do have to think about the "types" of units that evolve so that you can create mechanisms for them to evolve. Kind of like in DF when the warriors fall in love with their swords; that had to be thought of.

IT would be sweet in the steampunk sense if you had someone who was trained to fight mortally wounded and you save him by hooking him up to a steam engine. He is forever destined to have his life literally linked to steam (any read Alastair Reynolds Terminal world?) and is put into continued service of the empire.

anyway; good point.

4. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

Some kind of uber religious templar soldier would be nice ( I am thinking space marines of Warhammer 40K). On the other side of the spectrum there should be ragtag militias which barely have something you could call "uniform".

5. Razorsharp

Razorsharp Member

6. Razorsharp

Razorsharp Member