Thrown Weapons Challenge

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Stoz, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Stoz

Stoz Member

Now that 1.06 is out, each of the 3 crafting trees have the ability to create their own throwing weapons. Now we know that this is so that all crafting skills have access to some kind of throwing weapon, and I think it's a great choice. My challenge to you however is to play a character that includes the following 4 skills:
    • Thrown Weapons
    • Alchemy
    • Smithing
    • Tinkering
    Craft all the things? Craft all the things!

First let me know what 3 other skills you would pick (and why you would pick them) and if you're game, let me know how your character fares.

[​IMG]

Vykk Draygo likes this.
  2. Derakon

Derakon Member

I don't think I'll try this, since I suspect throwing, like archery, isn't really a fun way to run the game (too crafting-intensive, not enough damage), but as far as other skills, here's my recommendations:

* Psionics, for Shove. You want range? You got range. Of course, Psionics is broken and could carry the entire build if you were willing to spam Shove (and with Alchemy backing you up, you can spam Shove)
    * Unarmed, for Buffalo and Heron techs. More range! Plus trap handling. You were planning to go dual-shields anyway, right?
    * Archery, if the ammo recovery rate bonuses stack. Given that, at least as far as 1.0.5 was concerned, you could throw a grenade and then get it back, having max recovery rate could be a very good thing indeed...
    * If Archery doesn't stack, then Artful Dodger, for Leap. Likewise gives range, and being able to hop over moats is always handy.

Of course, this assumes that magic power isn't a big influence on the spells invoked by your more exotic throwing weapons. If it is, then this alternate build suggests itself:

* Psionics, because it's still awesome and also a mage skill, so you get Sagacity on levelup.
    * Magic Training, for more magic power
    * Mathematics, for Zenzi. More magic power!

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'll take up the challenge. Then again, I don't mind losing. You didn't specify a difficulty level, though. I've been playing primarily Going Rogue, but I guess for this challenge, I'll go dwarvish.

I haven't used throwing as a skill since I first discovered the game. But I do like crafting.

I think I'll try the following additional skills:
    Viking
    Unarmed
    Assassin

4. Silvah

Silvah Member

I'll take you up on the challenge as well, but I figure if i'm going this way, let's make it silly.
    Going Rogue with Fungal arts, Burglary, and Archaeology.

I've made it past floor 1, and got my mobility set up with fungal 2, arch 2, and burglary 4. I move in mysterious ways.

5. KotHN

KotHN Member

I just realized I've been playing this accidentally. I had been messing around for quite some time with a tri-crafting melee character. I used Smithing to make weapons and armor, Tinkering to disarm traps, and Alchemy solely to mix healing potions. Since I'm a loot vacuum, I always ended up with an enormous amount of money and used that money to buy throwing weapons, which became very, very useful at times. Since then, I decided that relying a bit more heavily on throwing weapons and bolts wouldn't be a bad thing, so I added the throwing skill to my build and ended up here.

Since this evolved from a melee character, I still play this character like a tank. The other three skills I take on top of the crafts and throwing is;
    Swords
    Dual Wielding
    and Burglary.

I equip my character with equipment that prioritizes defensive stats, specifically absorption, block and counter chance. I always craft two Ring of Iron Thorns as soon as possible. I can tank most enemies no problem at all. I use flasks to damage enemies in zoos as I funnel them into one square in front of my character, throwing knives and axes to kill thieving and corrupting enemies, and bolas to pin down the most tenacious mobs.

I always thought that throwing weapons would be under powered, but as of now, I can deal three quarters of a Magicky Golem's health with one Bolas, and I almost always recover the ammo. I've only made it to floor 6 so far, but the road has been easy so far.

Finally, the big asterisk. I'm only playing on Elvishly Easy. I've never actually beaten the game before, so until I do, I always play the easiest difficulty. I'm fairly sure that while this build works fine for now, it'll become less and less viable as I go up the difficulties. So feel free to yell at me for being silly and stuff!

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Critters, I believe, have fewer hit points on the easier difficulty levels.

That said, I was doing ok with throwing (no points in the skill) on my run-through on Dwarvish. I kind of lost interest in that character through and started another. But I may go back to it (he's not dead yet).

7. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

Now that I've done a melee build, I'll take up this challenge. The other three skills I'll take are: Unarmed Combat, Burglary and Perception. I'd like to take Psionics, but I don't want to fall on the crutch of relying on Shove for everything. I'm also gonna step down to Dwarvish.