Windows Vista/7 64-bit This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Dovecoon, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Dovecoon

Dovecoon Member

I get the error from Microsoft visual C++ runtime library - "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" every time I try to play the game. The error occurs after hitting play on the splash screen page. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, even deleting all files in "my documents" and any remaining files in the steam folder. It was working fine up until I published a mod this morning. However, I tried deleting the "published" folder and running steam in offline mode so it won't reinstall the folder, and I still get the error, so I'm sure I'm missing something. And for the record, the game was working fine before publishing the mod.

2. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Are you running said mod? If so, then there is something broken in it.

3. Dovecoon

Dovecoon Member

Not running it currently. I even ran it moments before publishing it (to make sure nothing like this would happen) and it was fine. My only guess is that publishing it messed up a .dll file or something, but I've reinstalled the game multiple times. All I've done since I last ran it without incident and the error is publish a mod and download the naval war: arctic circle demo, which I have since deleted.

4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Are you sure? Maybe you subscribed to it? It'll show up twice in the mod loader if you do, and the second takes about twenty seconds to show. I only say this because I've had this exact problem, and it was entirely a malformed something or other in my mod that did it.

5. Dovecoon

Dovecoon Member

Like I said, I unsubscribed from it, deleted the folder, disconnected from steam so it wouldn't re-download, and I still get the error. I just double checked the mod loader and nothing at all is showing, and I'm still getting the error.

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Try running the game with the -nukesteamcloud parameter, once.

It will kill your savegames, though.

7. Dovecoon

Dovecoon Member

-nukesteamcloud did it, thanks! That just furthers my suspicions that something went wrong when I published my mod. I'll keep an eye out and see if anyone else has this problem after publishing.

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Steam strikes again. How sad. I presume the -nukesteamcloud command needs to be appended to the shortcut Steam makes when you install the game via Steam?

Exile likes this.
  9. Daynab

Can be used with steam launch options, or from a shortcut, or from command line, doesn't matter.

OmniNegro likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Thank you Daynab. (As always.) :)

Exile likes this.
  11. I'm gonna bump this, since I use the same OS and am having a similar problem. Intermittently, when saving games, the game will crash with the runtime termination error. This happens both when manually saving and when the game autosaves, and has happened once or twice when changing levels. This happens with or without mods installed. The things I've noted about this crash are:

1. It only happens if the game has been running for a while.
    2. The autosave is always "corrupted" by this. I don't know if that's the right word, but selecting the autosave just brings me back to the main menu.
    3. The crash seems to happen before the game is actually saved. If I crash on a "full save" (save and exit), I restart the program to see the autosave, which is "corrupt", and the character's full save, which is the last one I'd made before attempting to make a new full save. I probably lose about 15-30 minutes of progress each time this happens, since I full save often due to this issue, but I count myself fortunate that I never completely lose a character from this.
    4. I always have to reselect the mods I'm using, if I'm using any, from the mod loader. Also, all of my UI elements I've changed, such as moving around UI panels and changing auto-loot settings, are reverted to their previous positions/settings.

I tried using nukesteamcloud in the past, and it didn't seem to help.

I have a number of dump files in my directory, but I'm not sure which one is which, so I'm going to fire the game up mod-free and play until the game crashes so I can upload a fresh dump file.

12. Daynab

If you get a new dump file that will indeed be helpful.

13. I got it to crash after about three and a half hours, but unfortunately no crash dump was created.

Some of the times when it does it, there are oddities with the sound. For example, I save and exit and then load the save to create a new main save. Sometimes when I load the main save, the main menu music will fade out, but then start again and I'll have the main menu music playing while I'm in the dungeon. Attempting to save after that always produces the runtime unusual termination error. That particular case has only happened twice so far, but it isn't just switching music from main menu to dungeon, but dungeon to Brax's shop or vice-versa. I know I'm in trouble if I walk into Brax's shop and the music fades out (as if to switch to the shop music) but then continues playing dungeon music. Coincidentally, the crash I just had was after walking into a shop, though the shop music was playing properly.

These things only seem to happen after I've been playing a few hours, so it's probably just a symptom of something else.

14. Daynab

Very, very strange. I'll let the devs know. Thanks for spending time trying to pin this down.