The Compleat Essential Skills

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Ashnal

Ashnal Member

An attack usually.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Go to sleep. I will attack you and we will see if you wake.

In other words, I think this is quite intentional.

mining, Wootah and Kazeto like this.
  3. Ashnal

Ashnal Member

Ah. Well I had thought the intention of the skill by its description was to allow the player to act while monsters slept, which would include attacking by the skills description.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Unfortunately there is no way to keep monsters from waking up when you attack. The spell just puts them back to sleep the next turn.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I could be mistaken. Essence will did ninja-post and clarify.

I always think of sleep skills to be best used to stop an enemy from getting to your squishy mage and squashing them like over-ripe fruit. Mages cast from a distance or risk retaliation. Sleep spells are great for archers too. Zonk them out and retreat to a better place to pepper them with bolts.

*Edited to add the obvious above...*

mining, Turbo164 and Kazeto like this.
  6. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Melee characters can use the snooze time to eat some sandwiches, refresh buffs, let cooldowns finish, etc.

Vitellozzo, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Ashnal

Ashnal Member

Why not use an every other turn stun to simulate the player getting two turns to the monsters one? I'd rather the skill work mechanically than worry about the aesthetics of ZZZs or Stars above a debuffed monsters head.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Essence

The skill is working exactly as intended at the moment. It was never supposed to keep the monsters asleep while you ruthlessly murdered them; if you want to ruthlessly murder things without ever getting counterattacked, try Ninjitsu instead. :p

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Turbo164 like this.
  9. Ashnal

Ashnal Member

It would be pretty OP if you could run around for 30 turns unopposed. I heard you were thinking about reworking the skill though. I would have it stun monsters for one turn, let them act the next, and alternate stunned and unstunned for 10 turns or so. Gives the skill more flavor than 'everything around you is asleep unless you perform a combat action.'

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Essence

But that's the intended flavor. Why would I change it?

11. Essence

Welp, I fixed Lasso Stance. I'm an idiot and had a <targethitEffectBuff> with the <spell> argument instead of the proper <name>.

Now I just need to figure out how to fix Shuffle Stance and I'll have this thing ready to go out to the Steam Workshop.

12. Essence

OK, so after several intense minutes of brainstorming, I decided to bite it and just mimic Staggerstep, but invert the percentages -- so where Staggerstep triggers on 3/4 of hits and 1/4 of getting-hits, Sideways Shuffle triggers on 3/4s of getting-hits and 1/4 of hits (and of course only moves you sideways relative to the direction you were facing, never forward or backwards.)

Having both of them gives you an impressive 81% chance to move in some direction any time you get hit or hit something, and you'll occasionally trigger both and move twice. Chaos is fun!

New Version is up in the OP!

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  13. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I've been wanting for a while now to make a build that's all about Ubercombo+Staggerstep. I can't remember exactly what I was thinking of doing. Vegan works, but I've already smashed my way easily through a game using Vegan+Drunken. What else would be amusing with this? Inverse Minion Law?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Essence

Basically anything that encourages you to get surrounded. Inverse Minion Law/Lone Ninja Law, Jaws of Death, You're Toxic, most of the Axes skill, and in general any on-hit proc.

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  15. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

You mean on-gethit. My thought was maybe General Winter, to leave clouds of hyperborean damage around. Wanted to stay away from Unarmed because I've been playing a ton of Unarmed lately--it really is an obvious choice for anyone who isn't a hardcore warrior, enough so that imo it steps on Staff's toes. So, Axes is a fun idea.

Essence, OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  16. Essence

New upload. Again with the self="0"s, this time messing up my Lasso Stance.

17. voldemor

voldemor Member

I already subscribe this mod from steam workshop. Am i need to download a file from this tread again?

Sorry for bad english. Its not my native language. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Essence

The Steam Workshop doesn't have Gangnam Style up on it yet, so if you want to play with the new skill, you'll want to download it from here. If you don't mind waiting for a week or two, I'll upload the new version to the Steam Workshop given that no one here has any major complaints with it. :D

Vitellozzo, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. Essence

Uploaded to the Steam Workshop. Renamed Gangnam Styles stances to 'dances', just 'cause.

20. Essence

Reupload in the OP because apparently I forgot to take the fireball anim (used for testing purposes) off of Lasso Stance. :(

OmniaNigrum, Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.