Linux 64-bit Sticky for Linux patches ?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by aquamarine, Dec 5, 2011.

1. aquamarine

aquamarine Member

Is it possible for someone to make a sticky containing the links to patches and some instructions.

I've had several crashes on the build I downloaded as part of the Humble Bundle and have spent quite awhile searching the forums. I found two patches so far: a filename patch and another patch from Nicholas. I'm still confused as to which patch I should apply and exactly how to apply it if I installed the .deb...

A sticky containing the links and some instructions explaining who should apply each patch and how to do it would be really helpful for keeping us Linux users updated.

I keep wanting to play because it's a great game but the crashing is holding me back. I'm still not sure what patches I should use and how to apply them to the .deb file.

2. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Install the .deb as normal, then replace the following files with those contained here: http://natulte.net/dredmor-patched.tar.gz (courtesy of Dave)

/opt/dredmor/Dredmor-amd64
    /opt/dredmor/Dredmor-x86
    /opt/dredmor/game/monDB.xml

This includes both Nicholas' patch (first two files) & the case-sensivity patch (3rd file).

3. aquamarine

aquamarine Member

Oh lovely thanks so much :D

4. aquamarine

aquamarine Member

Oh hum well I did that and it was easy as pie, but it still crashes when I try to summon a wyrmling :(

5. Kirby

Kirby Member

Please someone create a sticky, I can't find these patches. Even the search bar is failing me. In the meantime, can someone link me to these patches?

6. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

7. sogfelt

sogfelt Member

If the game crashes when you summon a mustache, a wyrmling or a mortal machine with this error:
    /home/nvining/dredmor/monster.cpp:400: Monster::Monster(monDBEntry*): Assertion `(entry->level - curLevel->number < 4) || entry->name == "Brax"' failed.

You can work around the crash by editing the monDX.xml entry for the summoned creature, you will be able to summon.
    I experienced some random segmentation fault crashes after this change but they were due to my savegame becoming corrupted through playing it with both pre- and post-hotfix binaries.

To fix the mustache, look for line 992 which should look like this:
    <monster name="Animate Mustache" displayName="Mustache Golem" special="1">
    and replace it with
    <monster name="Animate Mustache" displayName="Mustache Golem" special="1" level="3">

To fix the wyrmling, look for line 1068 which should look like this:
    <monster name="Summon Wyrmling" displayName="Friendly Wyrmling" level="8" special="1" terrain="2"> and replace it with
    <monster name="Summon Wyrmling" displayName="Friendly Wyrmling" level="3" special="1" terrain="2">

To fix the mortal machine, look for line 1218 which should look like this:
    <monster name="Mortal Machine" displayName="The Robo That Loves" level="9" special="1">
    and replace it with
    <monster name="Mortal Machine" displayName="The Robo That Loves" level="3" special="1">

And so on for any other summoned creature that need fixing.

8. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

level="3"

Have you tested if the minions are weaker? I don't think they should, having explicit hitpoints, armor, attacks, etc.

9. sogfelt

sogfelt Member

Oops, I edited my message to fix this mistake.

The mortal machine seems to be just the same so I guess the level doesn't affect their usefulness, at least in the first levels (I'm still in level 3).

10. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

I am enjoying the game quite a bit, but being used to OSS, I miss having access to the source. Makes this sort of issues much simpler.
    That said, I started buying proprietary games with the Humble Bundle #1, and have bought every bundle since then.
    Among these, Dungeons of Dredmor is one of the best supported games on Linux (together with World of Goo & Frozen Synapse -- HIB Frozenbyte had zero playable games for me!).
    Some crashes & bugs of course, but one can tell that the devs are making an effort to fix them. That's great!

11. aquamarine

aquamarine Member

Yay! That did the trick. Now I can finally test out my Wyrmling :D cheers!

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Fixes for all the Linux stuff is being rolled into the Steam, Desura, and official Humble Bundle builds with the impending release of 1.0.8; any future Linux patches will be distributed at the same time as the rest of the platform patches.

Exile and Dimitri like this.
  13. sogfelt

sogfelt Member

Thise kind of announcement should start with "good news everyone !".

14. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Still no 1.0.8 .deb on HIB, if I am not mistaken. :(

15. smoak

smoak Member

You are not mistaken. No 1.08 tar, deb or rpm on HIB yet :confused: