Steam Winter Sale

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Loerwyn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

So, apparently, tomorrow is when the Winter Sale will start.

What're we hoping Santa Gaben will bring, and do we think he'll try and make us jump through hoops in some shitty Steam-based game, or do we think it'll be just voting again?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I vote for ridiculous hoops and voting for voting as well. And all games in the sale must be either hopelessly broken or Steam exclusive and cloud-...... (No. I was asked nicely not to use that word.) Cloud-messed. (See? I do learn. And I attempt to follow reasonable rules.)

3. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Oh golly gee, I sure do hope Mister Gaben has some enjoyable games on sale.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I never have a wishlist because I never think of anything I want to buy until it's on sale, so we'll see!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

ooooh i hope we get to farm coals again =)

this year im prepared with a +100 game backlog,bring it on gaben!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

These sales are pretty annoying, because I own most great games already. Simcity 4 on sale? Meh, got it already. Stronghold gold on sale? Meh, got it already. Total war complete series? Meh, got the best games of the pack already.

SkyMuffin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Aegho

Aegho Member

The only one I can really think of is Borderlands 2 with the DLC on sale as well... but honestly I don't expect it to be cut deep enough so early, maybe for next steam summer sale we can get an ultimate/goty style package.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I've seen, at least in the UK, Borderlands digitally available for half its retail price. I reckon that's about as low as it'll go in the Steam sale, though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Borderlands 2 went in for £15 on day one, no discount on ANY of its DLC though.

And Mirror's Edge is one of initial ones. £3.24. If only I didn't already own it...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Fable: The lost chapters for 2,24 euros.
    Chtulhu saves the world for 0,66 euros.
    All commandos games 0,99 euros each.
    All cossacks and american conquest games 1,24 each.
    Space pirates and zombies 3,06 euros.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

That was the most infuriating indie game I've ever tried. Why? Because it wouldn't load and never told me why. After research, it turns out that you had to have Windows Media Player installed.

Seriously.

Rawk Hawk and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I own that one. But I am glad I never messed with it upon hearing this. WTF is with them?

Better question, why would anyone want WiMP anyway? VLC Player is hundreds of times better, as is Media Player Classic. Both of them work fine and are freeware and will never spy on you. WiMP will if it can. (And it can.)

13. jeremywc

jeremywc Member

All the audio files are encoded as WMA's, so you need the libraries from Windows Media Player to play them. Penny Arcade 3 is the same way, I believe. It's due to Zeboyd's games having their roots in XNA and XBLIG. It would be cool if they managed to get off that tech at some point as I think it creates some hurdles for them when they try to port to non-Microsoft platforms.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

all i want for christmas is kings bounty platinum 75% off

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I'd like Minecraft to have a sale tho.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

But they've obviously managed to port to other platforms, and other developers have used XNA without forcing WMP on customers (I removed it because it's shite). It was a very clumsy way to handle the audio, and I would think it bit them in the ass to some degree. Well, maybe not, as - if what you say is true - they did it for a third time with the third Penny Arcade game.

It's almost certain to happen, but I'd suggest you're probably best picking up The Legend from GOG ($5 right now) which will tide you over until Armored Princess/Crossworlds goes on sale. But even then, I would think it's more likely to happen on GamersGate than it is Steam. Warriors of the North won't drop below 50% though, in my opinion. It's too new.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Aegho

Aegho Member

Yeah not buying a bunch of €10 DLCs at full price, never gonna happen. I'll wait until they package them in a reasonably priced package. So probably a GOTY/Ultimate pack sometime mid/late next year. If I see an across the board 75% price slash I might bite(full price for game + DLCs atm is €88, which is just silly, even with the discount it's €63).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

KB:The Legend has been given away in over 9000 bundles lately,i got mine for $1 on the BeMine 6 bundle.

bundles are usually filler crap with 1 or 2 games worth a few hours,but KB:TL by far has been my most played bundle game in my life.

+70 hours so far and im still around mid-late game,its almost 1 cent per hour of fun!

im addicted now and need more KB! and maybe toss in HoMM6 if it ever reaches under 75%

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I am with you on this. I loved Borderlands 1. I would still play it. (But I use an SSD with limited room and I have other games to occupy my time for the moment.)

But the pricing on B2 is idiotic at best. They may as well demand we worship their left butt-cheek. I will wait until time or desperation forces a reasonable price from them. The game is good, but how many Porsches and Ferraris do they really think they need?

I keep seeing the insultingly low reductions in price they give on the base game only and wanting to track them down and punch them in the groin for it.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's largely EA, 2K and THQ who are the worst for DLC (particularly with sales), Dungeon Defenders and Awesomenauts are bad too.

OmniaNigrum likes this.