Steam Autumn Sale

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

What does that mean exactly?

In any case, I know some people do not like to use Steam. But some of us do. I don't want to open up that controversy after so much peace and quiet. If there is another sale elsewhere, feel free to inform us about it, but lets not get into the whole 'Steam is evil' thing again. It's been done to death.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. mining

mining Member

but... hats. How can steam be evil when they facilitate hats?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I think he's referring to the "same price in every area of the world" so 50$ is also 50 euro for the same game.

But yeah pretty much what Haldurson said, there's usually threads for indie bundles and such, so I don't see the problem here. If there's other good sales, feel free to start a new thread!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Mount and Blade Collection 75% off, for 8,74!?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Plus it's never the indie games you want but don't feel like paying full price for.

Aquaria and Mincey rafty, I'm looking at you. Grrr.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. I'm not really trying to hate on Steam - it has its upsides and I do buy from them as much as anywhere else. I just get kinda grumpy when it feels like half of the time I see people discussing some great deal on game X, it turns out that game X still costs twice as much for me because I happen to be Australian.

Anyway, blogs like this one should demonstrate simply enough how frequent and standard these sales kinda are.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, he's most likely referring to that. Because seriously, that is price abuse, regardless of whether it's happening because of someone's laziness or if it's intentional.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Believe me when I say I understand your position on Steam. I started several threads here discussing how awful it is and we hashed it all out back and forth with me never ceasing to see it as the worst thing ever.

But I do not suffer from pricing issues as an American, and it has been good to me. Nothing more can really be said. But I too would welcome sales from other groups. In fact, perhaps we should change the name of the thread to "Games sales" and leave it like that so we can use it like we did the games bundles thread.

9. omeg

omeg Member

[​IMG]

I really wonder what regional retailers get from such deals. Also F&^$ Cenega.

(It's Skyrim btw, not that I'd buy it. But Fallout New Vegas is also blocked and that's a good game.)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If I may ask, what "Region" are you in?

*Edit* Nevermind. Your user account says you live in Poland. Why would there be any reason to deny you any games?

11. omeg

omeg Member

Poland.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Why? Just Why?

The only thing I know that FNV and Skyrim have in common is they are both Bethesda games. Does Bethesda hate Poland for some hidden reason?

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's more like, Poland is a really crazy country so the problem is probably not on Bethesda's side.

Because unless I'm horribly mistaken, Steam used to sell Skyrim normally in Poland.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. mining

mining Member

I too am Australian - Steam remains far cheaper than retail for us, and with the favorable exchange rate, its definitely better than it used to be.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Or, to sum it up, it's the ease of getting the product, sometimes combined with the price being favourable (because I can see Steam selling their games cheaper than a retail store in a semi-obscure place where they have to raise their prices a bit).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. omeg

omeg Member

That's what I'm wondering... Also Cenega's localized versions sometimes cause problems with patches/mods, they are often actually a separate Steam versions (for example Dishonored was a separate release for Russia Hungary, Czech, Poland - separate app ID, separate game hubs, different installation directory etc. With Darksiders 2 I had troubles playing in English because incompetent people that did the localization put Polish localized files inside English resources overwriting them instead of adding separate files like for other languages. This infuriates me as I have lots of experience working in localization, even did some contract work for CD Project back in the days). Russia may have different prices but Poland definitely doesn't, we have the same prices as the rest of the EU. What gives?

Also retail prices are usually way cheaper than steam here. So why block steam versions?!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

As with many subjects, I am really ignorant of Poland. I could not tell anyone details of history, culture, or what languages other than Polish that are used there. But everyone I spoke to from Poland seemed relatively normal. Hell, I could not name a single country to border Poland, and that says it all. :D

18. omeg

omeg Member

Skyrim is available in retail. And that's another weird thing, because it's a friggin' Steamworks game anway.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Lol. You can buy a retail copy and it requires you to install it in Steam where you could never buy the game in the first place? That makes zero sense.

20. omeg

omeg Member

Yeah, I have no idea what's the deal with that.

OmniaNigrum likes this.