Start a new game without seven skills

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tacroy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

It would be nice if you could start a new game without assigning all seven skills, in order to add more of a challenge to the game. It should at least be an option.

2. nickwolf

nickwolf Member

you could always start with ley walking or something.. pretty useless

3. killington

killington Member

@nickwolf: tell that to my mages that gain 1 mana per step =X

4. Countmore

Countmore Member

Pick weapon skills that you'll never use.

Imagine a Master of Arms who picks Sword, Axe, Mace, Staff, Crossbow, Throwing and Unarmed. Ironically, he wouldn't be able to pick Master of Arms.

5. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Tacroy It might be a nice option, but you can always simulate it just by taking magic skills and never using any magic. Of course, I don't even know what the penalty for lack of weapon proficiency is. It never seems to stop me from mauling things with weapons.

@Killington Sure. Just ask any mage without Lay Walker that also gains 1 mana per step.

6. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

@Countmore and @Incendax: There is that, but it would be nice to have achievements and things like that tied to it.

7. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Tacroy True enough. I'm not certain what the point of the "Pick Same Skills As Last Time" button is. It only takes a second or two to select the same skills you had last time. Perhaps this button could be turned into a "Start With What I Have!" button so you could begin with fewer than 7 skills.

8. Embolus

Embolus Member

I would mod that in, except anything that pertains to starting and leveling your character doesn't seem to be in XML form, and are therefore unmoddable. =(

9. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

Your stat growths are affected by what skills you pick so you'd have to hope for more of a "low stat" game if you pick filler skills. I think this is a good idea for a feature.

10. Greg72

Greg72 Member

Play without any of the following Dodging, Burglary, Archaeology, Promethean magic, Alchemy or Fungal arts on going rogue+permadeath, I think that would be harder than having 4-5 skills only.

11. Abominog

Abominog Member

Save your game and delete the skills you don't want from the save file

12. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

@Greg72: Dual Wielding, Maces, Smithing, Assassination, Deadshot and Psionics. Craft a pair of Flails of Pleiades and the Serpentine Platemail and a pair of Rings of Iron Thorns and you should be doing pretty good. You'll proc on most hits with assassination + deadshot, Smithing gives you nice equipment so you'll end up countering a lot of hits (might even switch to a swords build for the extra countering), and Psionics gives you something to do with your mana as well as a way to get those island items.

By the time you get to corruption monsters, you should have enough raw materials to just re-forge your primary weapons whenever they get corrupted.

13. Incendax

Incendax Member

Tacroy has a point. He just detailed an incredibly powerful build using no skills that would be considered overpowered. I've played an incredibly similar build and obliterated Dredmor with it.

14. Sokaron

Sokaron Member

@Tacroy
    Why not a pair of Royal Beatdowns?

15. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

@Sokaron Oh huh, I was under the impression that those were uncraftable. Royal Beatdown it is.

However, I bet you'll have the materials for the Flail of Pleiades before you have the materials for the Royal Beatdown, since the Royal Beatdown requires more steel.

16. Anacone

Anacone Member

@Tacroy That's only 6 skills what should be 7th?

17. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Ley Walker, obviously :)

18. killington

killington Member

@Incendax: At dlvl 2 or 3? doubtful.

19. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Killington Depends on the RNG. I've had +6 from items by the end of the 2nd floor before. +9 usually takes 3rd or 4th floor.