.spr format

Discussion in 'Modding' started by r_b_bergstrom, Dec 27, 2011.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

The monster sprites are in some .spr format I'm unfamiliar with. So are the themed statues, paintings, and floor elements. My photoshop doesn't think it can open them.

Anyone know a good (and reasonably cheap) sprite-editing program for mac that can handle this file format?

Alternately, does anyone know if there's a way around it at least for making my own statues, etc? Will just using a .png work, or will it crash? If no one knows, I'll try <noun text="Bagel" plural="Bagels" statue="dungeon/statue_bagel.png" /> and the like, but I have to make a lot of them in order for it to come up often enough to really be able to test it out. Guess I can start with a blanketing of placeholders before I dive in to a lot of painting.

Any help, info, or advice would be appreciated.

2. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Turns out the game engine will read xml as spr if you format them correctly. (Not entirely sure how to say that clearly)

An example with monster sprites:

<monster type="2" subtype="14" name="Eris" level="12" splat="ichor" branch="-1" special="1" terrain="2" taxa="Demon">
    <idleSprite left="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_run_l.xml" right="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_run_r.xml" up="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_run_u.xml" down="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_run_d.xml" />
    <attackSprite right="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_atk_l.xml" left="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_atk_r.xml" up="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_atk_u.xml" down="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_atk_d.xml" />
    <hitSprite left="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_hit_l.xml" right="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_hit_r.xml" up="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_hit_u.xml" down="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_hit_d.xml" />
    <dieSprite name="mod/sprites/monster/eris/eris_die_r.xml" />
    <sfx attack="unarmed_female2" hit="humanoid_hit" die="disintegrate" spell="humanoid_spell" />
    <stats numFig="2" numRog="4" numWiz="2" xpValue="0" />

Then I used photoshop to edit each frame, naming them appropriately:
    eris_run_l_0
    eris_run_l_1
    etc...

Then I made a xml file in the same folder with the frames titled eris_run_l.xml and put the frame information inside of it:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?>
    <sprite>
    <frame delay="80">eris_run_l_0.png</frame>
    <frame delay="80">eris_run_l_1.png</frame>
    <frame delay="80">eris_run_l_2.png</frame>
    <frame delay="80">eris_run_l_3.png</frame>
    <frame delay="80">eris_run_l_4.png</frame>
    </sprite>

I assume the same string of editing can be used for all of the sprites in this game.

Big props to FaxCelestis for making me aware of this!

FaxCelestis likes this.
  3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

As far as converting existing .spr, you can use this.

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Thanks for the info and link! That's very helpful.

In the meantime, I've discovered that a .png reference will indeed work for at least the paintings and tapestries. Haven't had an appropriate room name come up to check if the statues work that way yet.