So who else thinks inventories are way, way too tiny?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by SkyMuffin, Jul 24, 2011.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

After crafting materials, hoarded food, potions, and other incidentals like traps...i end up with barely any empty space for items except for maybe one row. The result is that I find myself constantly traveling back and forth between shops. :(

2. JonLastUK

JonLastUK Member

Thats part of the challenge of a roguelike. Fight the urge to hoard stuff!

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I understand that, but as it is now, the player has much more strategic incentive to hoard than not...even if it means making the game more tedious. The game shouldn't reward that kind of behavior. It's kind of like the thread on here about the resting/spacebar spam strategy...the game currently rewards tedium over risk and action.

4. Countmore

Countmore Member

Hoard away, but hoard smartly. Depending on your build, you can ignore/sell/cube useless items. For example, a mage build doesn't need the buff potions/mushrooms like fell truffle or dire empowerment. A melee character can ignore most mana items, except maybe mana potion/nightcap/one stack of drink if the build has some utility/buffs. No smithing? Cube away those ingots. Not an archer? Keep only high level arrows like Squid or Mass Destruction.

I'm an almost obsessive packrat, but I still manage to find ways to manage my inventory. I've got to say, having the lutefisk cube helps a lot, as leaving things on the floor just irks me, and it's always nice (but useless) to see big numbers in the cube.

5. whoopsiedaisy

whoopsiedaisy Member

The Horadric Lutefisk Cube is thy friend...
    But I agree, my inventory gets waaay too cramped, even with materials for just one craft (smithing, in my case.)

6. granger44

granger44 Member

You can also create caches on the floors to deal with excess goods. I especially do this for my crafting supplies that I'm not likely to need immediately.

7. saturnine

saturnine Member

Separate tabs for different kinds of items would be great imo. As it is I either Lutefisk them or turn it up to 4x speed and run back to a shop nearby.

8. clocknova

clocknova Member

And we really need to make it so the lutefisk cube will transform and entire stack of items into an equal number of lutefisk pieces. As it is now, I have to open my anvil and drop my stacks of junk into it one square at a time, them move each item into the cube one at a time. Too tedious, so I don't bother with lutefisk anymore. Not until it gets fixed.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

"Depending on your build, you can ignore/sell/cube useless items."

If I'm doing melee and smithing, that's 1.5 rows taken up by ingots, 2 rows for food (not including my quickuse bar), and then 1 row for potions. After miscellaneous mushrooms, traps, and pickups, I still dont have any space. Even with liberal use of my cube. :(

10. Sokaron

Sokaron Member

@SkyMuffin
    At dlevel 4, get rid of your old smithing crap. You don't need copper, tin, zinc, or bronze! Keep only Aluminum, Iron, Steel, Chalk, Hematite, Coal, and Bauxite! And gold/silver/platinum, if you want stuff like serpentine plate.

11. Daiug

Daiug Member

The thing is, we need a Tinkering-Alchemy-Smithing inventory (only if you took one of the three skills).
    At least for Tinkering, you need 95% of the ingots you find (except probably gold and electrum) since the others are needed for crafting Arrows and other things. At the moment i'm halfway trough lvl 4 and i have the first room on the first floor COMPLETLY full of ingots. Same for my inventory and all the crafting items :v

The next time i log in i think i'll start moving them trough floors -_-"

12. Countmore

Countmore Member

If you're -really- running out of space, use the crafting items (smithing kit, etc) to hold items in them. You can store additional four items in the alchemy, smithing, ingot press and tinkerer kits, and two additional item in the distiller plus one in the grinder. There you go, instant extra 19 slots (net 13 slots). Of course, the trade-off is that when you actually do want to craft, it gets inconvenient.

13. Daiug

Daiug Member

Trust me, as a Tinker, they are not even near enough the items.
    You need at leas the first line on Crafting items (to keep the items), the second line fo arrows, third fourth for potions/food, and the fifth/half six for traps and some fungi.

And then you need all the materials for crafing, drops and much esle.
    Trust me, Tinkering need a bonus inventory :v

14. whoopsiedaisy

whoopsiedaisy Member

@Daiug
    That actually wouldn't be a bad Tinkerer bonus (or, for that matter, for any crafting skillset).
    Maybe a first or second-level skill?

15. Daiug

Daiug Member

Mh.

I think that a level 4 Tinkering bonus pouch ability could be a REALLY good idea (same for Smithing and Alchemy).
    This way you just can't pick up tinkering and put one point in it and have a free pouch, but you are "forced" to take it up to where the base crafting recipes go (since the majority of lvl 5 recipes are found while playing)

16. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

@clocknova I haven't tried this myself yet, but the "lutefisk divider" value inside of tweakDB.xml in the game's folder is quite interesting. It's currently set to 5, and guess what - you get 1 extra lutefisk for every 5 items in a pile. Try setting it to 1 and see what happens.

17. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

I don't often take a crafting skill. Their value can be questionable, since it doesn't get used near as much as a regular skill, and most of them suck up huge amounts of bag space.

Just not worth dealing with, and much of that reasoning is due to such limited space.

18. Incendax

Incendax Member

@NefariousKoel Smithing at least can give you a very strong advantage at the beginning of the game, and once you have smithed everything you want you can turn around and sell all your materials and never look at the skill again.

19. ComradeP

ComradeP Member

Nevermind.

20. Daiug

Daiug Member

If you have full inventory and click sort while having items in the crafting tools nothing happens :v