So What's the Primary Reason You're Going to Buy the Game?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Leven, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Dwarf Fortress's interface isn't bad per se - once you know what you're doing you can zip around ordering constructions or checking statuses with just few a keystrokes - it's just that it's staggeringly unintuitive in places, designed significantly differently (ie. no direct control) than most similar games, and DF itself is perpetually in alpha. That's not ... better ... but at least you don't have to worry about static viewports or missed combat logs, cough cough.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's not bad once you get used to it, but it's too hard for many people to get used to it. I didn't have any problems, but in my group I'm hailed as the one who is the most adaptative, and none of them was able to learn how to play DF (mind you, that group includes more than one person with a diploma in IT, so it's not like they are total morons) effectively.

3. To experience the joy of watching a colony collapse in on itself.

Kamisma and Kazeto like this.
  4. Wolg

Wolg Member

Not primary, but this basic progression:

1: Urchins
    2: Steam-driven manufacturing machinery
    3: Feed 1 into 2
    4: ???
    5: PROFIT!
    6: ???
    7: Total internal collapse and colony annihilation by eldritch forces
    8: MEDALS!

Kazeto, Marak and Kamisma like this.
  5. Hell Grunt

Hell Grunt Member

Heard Dwarf Fortress in steampunk victorian era, 'nuff said.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Minecraft was supposed to be "DF in 3D"
    Now what I heard CE is "DF: steampunk"

See where I'm going?

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Not really.
    It was derived from another game (Infiminer), and any DF inspirations (if they were at all DF inspirations) came later after they had the basics (and a lot more) already in place.

8. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

None cared about Infiminer when MC wasn't out, I mean DF was way more popular. Comparisons with Infiminer were made later, and I think they were pretty dumb. Just because the game has a pickaxe and blocks, doesn't mean it's some weird shooter with grenadelaunchers and whatnot.

So; people said it was DF in 3D. Hell Grunt just said CE is DF with steampunk, so that's the beginning of comparisons between CE and DF.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

"People" said it was DF in 3D. People were morons. Notch made it explicit that Infiminer was his inspiration for the game; therefore, it might've ended as DF in 3D (I don't really agree with that statement) but it was not supposed to be.

10. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Yes. Just like CE is possibly not DF with steampunk.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Oh, I see what you meant there. I curse my cold and cold-derived moronism triggering occasionally as I go throughout my day.

Essence likes this.
  12. Hell Grunt

Hell Grunt Member

This was taken from the PCGamer's article and what drew me to learn more about the game, I normally dislike referring to a game as "X of Y" since it's rather cheap but it's what got my attention in the first place.

I hope they weren't kidding on the mega-projects though, I've lost count of how many continents I've sunk in order to re-conquer hell as well as orbital magma projectors, a volcano exploration device and some underwater cities.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

You should try Gnomoria.

My reason is about the same: I hope it´s like Dwarf Fortress, but easy enough to get into that I actually can play it with my friends who don´t play DF because they dont understand it.

14. Hell Grunt

Hell Grunt Member

One thing I definitely don't understand, the game is quite easy to get into without the use of tutorials or guides, most actions and structures are self-explanatory and the ASCII visuals are clean and give you all the info you need at a glance, something that the texture packs take away.

I've tried Gnomoria, but the isometric view makes effective mining ruthlessly hard at best and mountain-devaluing at worst.

Edit: Is the forum always this lively?

Kazeto likes this.
  15. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

"Raping" used as casual hyperbole is not acceptable here.

Gaslamp Games wants to foster an environment that is not implicitly hostile to women. Nor do we want an environment hostile to men, for that matter, or "good taste and being reasonable, decent human beings in general". Therefore trivialization & casualization of rape will not be tolerated as it is, unfortunately, far too common in far too many gaming communities.

This is not open for discussion, nor do I care about apologies; I just don't want you or anyone else to ever do it here ever again. Consider that the warning, next time I'll ban everything ever forever.

Right, back to talking about games!

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's sort of off the topic (dbaumgart started it, I swear), but I suggest "ravage" as an alternative of the "Word Which Shall Not Be Used (TM)". It sounds similar, but essentially means "destroy" and has no gender-dependant meanings (or at least should have) so it ought to be fine to use it.

17. mining

mining Member

Damnit

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Posts like that are what the 'Like' system for. Thumbs up for that one.

Not posts like this.

19. Hell Grunt

Hell Grunt Member

Very well, offense noted and won't happen again.

20. EleSigma

EleSigma Member

Primary reason I'll buy this game? To go on a crusade against all supernatural and paranormal artifacts on the continent. All of my settlements will be geared towards cleansing the continent of dangerous (and insanity inducing) artifacts that I may find.

This means all spooky black coffins will be dumped into the ocean, otherworldly obelisks will be blown up, forbidden and foreboding lands carpet bombed by zeppelin bombers, and cultists sent to re-education camps and etiquette school.

Hell Grunt and Kazeto like this.