Should I ressurect Deadshot?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I just scanned the Steam DoD forums and found a bunch of people kvetching about how they can't get the Deadshot achievement. I responded by hacking together a revised Deadshot and slapping it into the current version of the ECSRII: Electric Bungalow.

But now I'm wondering if that's actually a good idea. I bumped it up to 5 levels and added a couple of points of Melee Power in with the EDR and Crit. Each level gives an on-hit proc.

1: Deadshot - deals minor Piercing damage scaling shoddily to EDR. 40%
    2: Dazed (as per Battle Geology). 12%
    3: Bleeding Out. 14%
    4: Crippling Strike. 16%
    5: Antimagic Field. 18%

Should I keep this in? Should I change it around at all? I have no idea why I'm having a :dmg_existential: crisis over this, but for some reason I'm arsed.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You know, the answer to "Should I resurrect Deadshot" question is the same as the answer to this question:

"Do you know what you want to do with Deadshot, Essence?"

If you know that yes, there is this particular thing you want to do with it, and yes, you are sure you want it that way, then by all means resurrect the skill tree.

On the other hand, if you do not have a solid idea, then it is better to leave it alone until you do. There was this thread a few weeks ago where there are a few ideas about "what to do with it", and 2 or 3 of these might even be usable if you really had to use something outside of what you thought of, but generally speaking it is about what you want to get done, and about what you think you ought to do.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If you find a way to make it interesting, sure.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

You are a wise man, Kazeto.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Procs are boring; include at least one arrow to the knee skill which causes your next melee/bolt/thrown attack to root the target for a short time and debuff them further. Or alternatively have a buff which allows you to passively root enemies but that has more procs.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  6. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I like the idea of Deadshot, or some other similar skill, being able to give the Mute status, but putting it on a proc just seems silly, as its going to wind up hitting a lot of mobs that can't cast and invariable fail to proc at critical points when you do need it. Antimagic is a silver bullet ability, the kind of thing that appeals to bag of trick or metagaming characters who want a solution to every problem and when they want it. Making when the ability triggers random defeats the purpose...

Null's idea seems really cool, all things considered. Think about making a tree that gives a lot of single attack buffs that do awesome things, like muting, dazing, rooting, lighting on fire, summoning crab warriors, you get the idea.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Essence

Hmm. I like both of your points. Keep suggesting. I think I may have a good answer to Kazeto's second question forming. :)

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  8. Null

Also if you do do anything referring arrows to the knees it should probably be subtle.

So situational procs are bad. The general procs are fine (especially damage, because what more do you want when you attack but more damage) but it should use more activated abilities.

I could also see an aimed shot ability to boost your :sight::edr::crit: and damage for one hit.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. mining

mining Member

Why not make it a skill tree based around shooting undead out of your crossbow.

OmniaNigrum, Syphonix and adelmagne like this.
  10. Essence

Deadshot.

Level 1: Deadshot. +3 :edr:. Spell: Deadeye. [downtime: 2]

Deadeye: Creates a cyclical buff (i.e. every time Deadeye is activated, the buff progresses one step forward in the cycle). The cycle is as follows:

Legshot: Gives a 18% proc that inflicts -5 :dodge: and -20 :sneakiness: (just in case monster Sneakiness allows them to not set off traps.)

Armshot: Gives an 18% proc that inflicts -5 :edr: and -3 :burliness:.

Headshot: Gives an 12% proc that inflicts -6 :caddishness:.

Eyeshot: Gives a 6% proc that inflicts :dmg_piercing: damage scaling by :edr:.

Soulshot: Gives a 6% proc that inflicts -50 :magic_resist:.

Level 2: Unerring Eye. +3 :edr:, +1 :sight:. TargetHitEffectBuff: Deadshot, 25%

Deadshot: Adds 2 :dmg_piercing:. Also adds to the effects of the Deadeye buffs as follows:

Legshot: If Legshot is active when Deadshot goes off, the target is Rooted for 3 rounds.

Armshot: If Armshot if active when Deadshot goes off, the target gains <multiattack="-1"> for 1 round.

Headshot: If Headshot if active when Deadshot goes off, the target is Dazed (see Battle Geology) for 3 rounds.

Eyeshot: If Eyeshot is active when Deadshot goes off, the target is Blinded for 1 round.

Soulshot: If Soulshot is active when Deadshot goes off, the target is Muted for 3 rounds.

Level 3: The Hand Is Faster. +2 :edr:, +2 :crit:. Spell: Omniscient Strike [downtime: 18]

Omniscient Strike: Actvates ALL of the Deadeye buffs, along with another buff that does a RemoveBuffByName on ALL of the Deadeye buffs (and itself) at the end of any turn in which the player attacks. (Basically, you get one killer hit, and then if you want Deadeye back, you have to restart it.

Level 4: Deadershot. +2 :crit:, +1 :sight:. TargetHitEffectBuff: Deadereye, 12%. Spell: Deadhit. [downtime: 42]

Deadereye: Has an effect identical to that of Deadeye, based on whatever your Deadeye buff currently is. (Basically is an additional 12% chance to activate whatever your current Deadeye buff would normally do.)

Deadhit: Creates a 24-turn buff. As long as you have Deadhit active, your Deadeye hits have additional effects:

Legshot: The target loses another -25 :dodge: as well as -15 :counter: and -5 :block:.

Armshot: The target loses another -9 :burliness: as well as -15 :edr:.

Headshot: The target loses another -12 :caddishness: as well as -24 :nimbleness:.

Eyeshot: The target takes a huge penalty to :resist_piercing: (like -20 or more).

Soulshot: The target takes a -18 :sagacity: penalty.

Level 5: Two Eyes, Two Aims. +4 :crit:. Spell: Second Aim [downtime: 2]

Second Aim is exactly like another, independently-focused version of Deadeye (and even triggers Deadshot's and Deadhit's effects, so you basically have 2 complete Deadshots.), but isn't duplicated by or removed by Omniscient Strike.

(Possibly also adds something else like further Deadshot-like effects? Or is doubling up on the special effects a good enough capstone already?)

What do you all think so far?

11. Rakankrad

Rakankrad Member

I'm loving that. I haven't noticed anything from <effect type="blind"/> by using it in one of my skills tho.. Unless you're planning on using the Blind Target spell, which isn't an actual blind according to dredmorpedia..

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I LOVE this. I really want to play this thing with basically every character. This could be very funny and useful, and it mantains it's true flavour: being able to shot things to death. And you can AIM at your enemies.
    And a thing I couldn't say before was to mantain the procs on attack, since I think deadshot could be a very valuable skill for polymorphed characters too... and like that, I'd absolutely love to use this in combination to the werediggle, too.
    It has good not-very-high stat bonuses, and those skills... Really, great work.
    Deadshot + Archery + Assassination + Perception + Daggers + Big Game Hunt + Burglary: perfect killer.
    Have I said that I love this?

Ok, hype apart, I really like how the abilities synergies one to another, and the capstone is cool: capstones shouldn't be always superattacks, but a sum of being really good in that combat field. As for this definition, a second aim is far more cool than a superattack which kills things, or another proc on the very first aim which doesn't add nothing new (since the whole skill tree is about powering that proc on the aim),
    I don't know if I am clear explaining this, but as far as deadshot comes along this, I support it.
    For balance purpose, testing is mandatory :D and I propose myself.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. codebracker

codebracker Member

ou want to test the abilities, or do you propose youself for a moving target?:p

Besides that, could deadshot shoot out a whole undead-enemy on critical?
    (necromantic dmg + spawn random undead + knockback on impact)

OmniaNigrum, Jellp and Vitellozzo like this.
  14. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Idea: activated ability that paralyses you for a few turns in exchange for, say, 12 piercing damage, +100 critical hit and bleeding on one attack? Call it sniper focus, or something...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Null

^ Sniper's Wager, +:dmg_piercing::crit:, maybe a tiny bit of :edr: but not much, and one or two :sight: if the monster walks out while casting. Paralyzes you AFTER you attack (or maybe just if you don't kill something). Aggro nearby monsters if you don't kill anything (Ideally it would aggro the monster in question you hit/missed but I can't find a way to target that monster if you miss)

This would be so much cooler in assassination though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. codebracker

codebracker Member

put a effect="shout" in the attack, that way he'll notice you even if you miss

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Null

I know that but you can't target the monster when you miss if that makes sense.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. That's beautiful, Essence. Do you need some flavor text?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If you have any good ideas, then the answer is always yes, no matter whom you ask.

So if you think yours are good, don't be shy and just send them to Essence.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
    OmniaNigrum, Jellp, Turbo164 and 3 others like this.