Shelf Life: Examination of conjectures past.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by competentfake, May 10, 2012.

1. competentfake

competentfake Member

Dear DoD,
    I picked you up on a whim in late October of '11 as a birthday present for myself, and you drew me into an intense obsession that lasted for 2 months. Then, as is the way of things, the newness of the relationship began to wear thin, and your (admittedly) many flaws which had once seemed only slightly tedious became more and more glaring as I delved deeper into your inner workings. Soon after, no matter what fresh mix of skills I picked, I wasn't having any fun, so I felt it was time that we saw other people. I will always love you, and I cherish our time together, but I wasn't in love with you anymore...and I have to admit that a saucy flirt by the name of Minecraft had started to catch my eye. So we said farewell, and I promised to look in on you again later on, when hopefully some of your more obtuse aspects would be fixed.

Two days ago, a random thought popped in my head that it had been 7 months since the break-up, and I started to miss you like crazy, so here I am. Now, like any good ex, I'm gonna bring up all the stuff I said about you back then, and see how it relates to who you are now!

My, my, have you been to see a plastic surgeon? (Fleshsmithing) -
    Meatshield:
    -Make Meatshield only absorb physical hits, and ESPECIALLY make it not degrade on DoT ticks: I still feel that this would improve the viability of Meatshield as a 1st tier ability. Better yet would be to-
    -Remove 5-hit counter from Meatshield altogether OR make it so that only 1 hit can be subtracted from the counter per turn AND/OR refresh the counter when you kill a mob with a melee attack, which would encourage players to be extremely strategy-oriented when they are fighting. Here's a little thing I call 'making a bad situation worse'.
    -One of this ability's flaws is simply that it only gives halfway decent buffs, and then only for a melee caster.
    Let's compare with Astrology's 1st Tier ability, Radiant Aura, which gives you [1 Sagacity, 5 Enemy Dodge Reduction, 5 Magic Resist, 1 Necro Resist, and +1 Righteous Damage, not to mention a 33% chance to damage and blind adjacent enemies] on a 5-hit counter. The disparity between the two is mind-boggling, considering these two skills are alike in that they provide both support magic and mid-range nukes. A simple fix would be to allow Meatshield's bonuses to scale with Magic Power, or possibly Max HP!

Suggestion Implemented!: Blood Debt hits no longer decrease Meatshield durability if resisted.
    tl;dr: Remove 5-hit counter or alter it so it doesn't have to be cast every 2-3 hits, and have buffs scale with Magic Power or HP. As it is now, it's mediocre at best and assisted suicide at worst.
    New Suggestion: Radiant Aura has a chance of proccing Blinding Flash on hit, so why not give Meatshield a chance to proc Fleshbore on the triggering attacker?
    -= - =-​
    Knit Tissue: All I'll say here is that it was suggested that this ability give a small heal + heal over time, and now it does that, and it is AWESOME! xD Thanks!​
    -=[*/*]=-​
    So you're into Goth now? (Necronomiconomics)
    Deathly Hex:
    -More specific debuff tooltips & stack counters on debuffs. This is still a big problem for me- when I hover my mouse over Minor Blood Debt, it tells me I have -1 to Health Regen, but says nothing of the DoT it carries with it. Also, something needs to be done about multiple instances of Minor Blood Debt- either give us an indicator showing how many 'stacks' of the debuff we have or make each successive Blood Debt incurred refresh the duration, which makes a shocking amount of sense to me. Same for Lingering Weakness- if I cast the Hex six times, my Max HP goes down by 6, but the tooltip only shows me being down by 1. Stack counter please! :)
    -Remove self-inflicted damage mitigation by Necro Resistance. I feel the logic here is flawed: Necro spells hurt you with Necro damage, but you get 3 points of Necro Resistance if you take all 7 tiers, which will go a long way towards mitigating that damage, thus negating the negative consequences of casting Necro spells that hurt you. In every game I can think of that allows you to sacrifice HP for ANYTHING, that damage can NEVER be mitigated. Imagine a Necromancer cutting himself for blood to fuel his dark magic- that damage wouldn't miraculously be prevented by Necro Resist, because he's hurting -himself- on purpose!​
    tl;dr: Make tooltips more detailed, add stack counter to stacking debuffs, and make self-inflicted damage not be affected by Necro resistance.​
    -={^-v}=-​
    What's that 'CLONK' noise I hear every time you bend over? (Crafting System)
    Gonna try to make this quick, this post has already claimed the better part of two hours. Henceforth the format will be Suggestion/Implemented or not instead of the longer, more conversational format. I have only explored Alchemy so far, so that will be my focus.​
    -Suggestion: Change distillation process so that it's impossible to get more than one hard liquor (and therefore Aqua Vitae) in the output.​
    Implementation: It seems that this suggestion was indeed implemented. Now, instead of being able to distill Aqua Vitae from a single piece of fruit, the yield is much more realistic, and not based on crafting level. Kudos!​
    -Problem: Crafting UI is clunky and unintuitive.​
    -Suggestion: Streamline the UI (I know, super helpful).​
    -Implementation: Okay, this is the real reason I started this thread. When I first saw the new Crafting UI, I was ecstatic! Finally the crafting process won't be a cumbersome bother, but an asset as it was meant to be! ... After using it for the first time, I /facepalmed. Full marks for style and layout, guys, but minus several hundred for the actual interface. At least, at LEAST let us double-click to craft, and please teach the UI to distinguish between 1 pear and 2 pears when telling me what I can craft, etc. Also the filter buttons don't work properly when you swap devices while using them.​
    -Problem: One can acquire several of each kind of crafting kit, and they stack for no discernible reason.​
    -Suggestion: Instead of linking crafting yield to skill level, have it be a coefficient of how many spare tools you've scavenged to upgrade your kit.​
    -Not implemented.​
    -Problem: A player must have Alchemy lvl 1 to distill liquor, but any fool can pick up an Alchemist's Kit and mix dangerous acids without melting a hole in the floor.​
    -Suggestion: I got nothing, it's just incongruous. Oh and is it just me, or is Salt like incredibly rare?​
    All in all, I think the improvements have been just that (Crafting UI aside). Thanks again for this remarkable game. ~Fake​
    PS: Soo...what are you doing tonight? Pick you up at 7? ​
    Relevant threads:
    http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/necronomiconomics-feedback.969/#post-7923 (re: Necronomiconomics...I never get tired of spelling that word. xD)

OmniNegro, Mr_Strange and Essence like this.