Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Is that the weirdness which causes me to have to kill Lesser Syzygy multiple times if it's been cast in the heat of combat? (Lesser Syzygy is from one of those mod Gods, Xiu Lin Bai the Something About Morning). You get a percent chance to have LSyzygy cast on you, and if it happens more than once, you'll have to kill it twice, at a substantial mana cost.

2. Rooks

Rooks Member

If I had to guess, that's exactly what it is. There's a few buffs right now that have the issue, such as the Viking Wizardry buff lines. I merely enjoy the Astro buff since it has no upkeep. Unfortunately, every other non-upkeep buff I've tried it with seems to be working as intended. I would have thoroughly enjoyed stacking Suit Up from the Armor line, or the Basalt Skin/Plutonic fist buffs from the warlockery line. The real draw I have to these is that yes, it's not really an intended feature, but it is extremely easy to break the cycle and lose all of your stacks instantly through bad rolls/surprise attacks from mobs. It makes the game feel very skill based, utilizing every ability/potion/etc that you can imagine to ensure you don't take damage, instead of just wading through mobs or flinging fireballs/acid/death thingies ad nauseum.

Please note that I don't use any mods, so I have no real experience with what you mentioned Shax. It could be as the modder intended, but sounds like too much of a coincidence.

3. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Good to know.

And since I'm in this thread, can anyone recommend a build for the Usurper skill? I love its theme, but can't find a good set to build around with it. It's in the complete mods index.

Edit to add: That awkward moment when you realize one of your skilltrees doesn't serve a purpose in your build.

4. SigFloyd

SigFloyd Member

Here you go. Replace "chain up.wav" in the sfx folder with this one.

Attached Files:

5. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Sweet. Also, I was messing around and noticed that Demonologist is somewhat overpowered with Veganism, since basically nothing with righteous damage will attack you.

So, A Vegan Demonologist -centric build should probably work well.

6. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Works nicely for blood mages too. That righteous weakness can really hurt.

7. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Yeah, it's just for blood mages solely it's not a big dip into righteous damage; like -5 at max, right? Besides which, both Vegan and Demonologist are more warrior-geared abilities, blood mage isn't a big deal unless you take something like Warlockery?

Hm. . . Vegan/Demonologist/Blood Magic/Warlockery. . .

8. Myrkabah

Myrkabah Member

Won't really matter if you get a Vegan debuff because you can cleanse it with the Meridians. Also gives ranged attacks. :)

9. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

I think I may give that a whirl when this character dies, though two vegan runs in a row may drive me crazy.

10. mining

mining Member

The Demonology after CC aren't great anyway.

11. Megaron

Megaron Member

They said I was crazy.
    They said full rogues aren't viable, that they need something from other types.
    They scoffed at Perception.
    What I said is
    I
    AM
    INVINCIBLE!!

-Artful Dodger
    -Perception
    -Burglary
    -Assassination
    -Archaeology
    -Tinkering
    -Piracy

The point here is to get Swashbuckling very early on, then leveling the fuck out of Artful Dodger and Perception. Most enemies early on will have trouble hitting you, and if you're the one having trouble, Swashbuckling turns you into a maelstrom of infinite pain and despair. With just a bit of equipment help, if this build takes off, it takes off hardcore.

ConnivingTentacles, Marak and Kazeto like this.
  12. Marak

Marak Member

I dare you to go back and try this a few months ago, before the (significant) buffs to Perception and the addition of Piracy via RotDG. ;)

I may have to try a build like that, though, I've always been a fan of playing a character like you do a Rogue in WoW, but until very recently all you were doing was trying to play a warrior-type without the heavy armor, which was like kicking the difficulty up another notch... and ended up not being very fun. Now though, with all the new stuff that's been added, maybe it's feasible.

13. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

If he had tried it before RotDG, crits would have still overcome his dodge chance, making him dead by DL 8. =(

So yeah, swashbuckling builds are now much more viable than before, but only because extensive work has been done to make them so.

14. Marak

Marak Member

That sounds like all my "pure rogue" characters all right.

15. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Since you bring up full rogue builds, can you recommend one for rogue scientist that isn't also archery? (I love using Rogue Scientist at point blank, since with thaumechanical rebreather you don't hurt yourself, but I died on floor four or so due to a particularly unfortunate occurrence with a large monster zoo) I've got Rogue Scientist/Alchemy/Tinkering so far, the rest I've changed about quite a few times.

And I'm still looking for an Usurper build.

16. Aegho

Aegho Member

Rogue Scientist/Alchemy/Tinkering/Clockwork Knight/Mechanic/Burglary/Archeology.

17. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

I hadn't considered using both Rogue Scientist and Clockwork Knight. Makes me feel like you wouldn't need tinkering skill though, since together they give +4 tinkering, and finding a few tinkering buff items shouldn't be too hard at that point. . . At least in the version of the game I'm playing, there's both goggles and tomes. If you're lucky enough to find the goggles and two tomes, you're set for tinkering. . . and I'm sure there's at least one other piece of tinkering equipment.

18. Aegho

Aegho Member

Ah but a couple of the rogue scientist skills scale with tinkering(the two barometric ones). You could replace it with wand lore to boost the capstone though.

19. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Some of the clockwork knight ones scale the same way, I guess.

20. Aegho

Aegho Member

Only the aoes at the start of rocket jump, and the exhaust at the start of charge of the steam brigade.