Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Baconeer

Baconeer Member

going with a very defensive melee build.

- The Unarmed Art
    - Shield Bearer
    - Dual Wielding
    - Archeology
    - Berserker Rage
    - Master at Arms
    - Vampirism

My basic idea is to get as much AA, blocking, magic resistance, and maybe magic reflection as possible.
    Took Vampirism for dem corpses, Rage for the the resistances and procs, and archeology for experience and rerolling stats.
    The rest is basically selfexplaining.

Currently DL8, level 23 and it is going quite well.

wvgbgqbqegqgq.png

2. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

Why would you take Dual Wielding on an Unarmed character? You only get the stat boni when you are actually wielding two weapons.

3. Baconeer

Baconeer Member

Hmm I thought it would be required to wield to shields :s.
    But Combat momentum and Offensive maneuvering seem to proc anyways.
    Well if it is not required I may change it out for something else in another run. :)

4. Here is my current build. Seems to be pretty decent, but I'm sure there are ways to improve on it. (Utilizes a few mods, though I can't really be arsed to list them)

Melee:
    Unarmed Combat. (Uses tomes to amp damage)
    Big Game Hunter (For the XP missed out from skimming burglary)
    Self-Righteous Aspirant (Primarily picked for the breath attacks and the bonuses the third upgrade provides)
    Magic Training (Primary way of gaining back mana, also nice anti-magic ability)
    Astrology (Early game armor and other utilities)
    Warlockery (Experimentation with a somewhat overlooked spell tree)
    Mathemagics (I honestly don't know why I picked it)

I did have a major problem with the 2nd floor zoo, lack of AoE nukes kind of makes this just decent IMO.

5. Erikan

Erikan Member

I usually go with Big Game Hunter, Demonologist, Blood Mage, Promethean Magic, and three other skills picked at random that I am not familiar with.

The big things I love about these skill sets is the small armies of demons, diggles, and a dragon that I can summon up. A Promethean can chew up a monster zoo for breakfast too. Blood Mage is mostly for the Haematic Phylacter, although quick mana gain on kills is awesome too.

6. I suppose. Is Dual Wielding worth it, if you don't have a weapon skill to augment it? [/canofworms]

Sorry, I just joined this forum a week ago, when I bought the game.

7. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

That question needs the [/canofworms] tag, Charisma...

8. Erikan

Erikan Member

My first build was a melee character with Swords, Maces, and Dual Wielding. I found that using weapon skills kind of limit the weapons you can actually use unless you have dual wielding, and even then you are tempted to use only that weapon type. On another build I had dual wielding and maces, and found myself passing up many superior weapons (axes, staffs, and swords) just so that I could retain my two maces.

Presently, when I go with a melee build, I don't pick a weapon skill at all. I like to keep my options open without limiting my skill sets.

9. SigFloyd

SigFloyd Member

I'm running a very themed build. I don't expect to beat the game with this, just trying to take it as far as it will go.

- Axes
    - Archery
    - Shield Bearer
    - Clockwork Knight
    - Tinkering
    - Smithing
    - Archaeology

I'm trying to assemble a full suit of power armor, which is basically clockwork everything. So far I'm only missing the helmet and a chainaxe. The game just flat out refuses to give me those recipes. Also, this guy's a freaking juggernaut but very, very weak to corrosive/toxic things, which makes sense since much of my gear's flavor text stresses keeping it all clean and well maintained.

Marak, Myrkabah and Kazeto like this.
  10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Anything that has Clockwork Knight in it with appropriate crafting skills and some warriory or roguey skills is fun to play, if you can bear with the nightmare that is inventory management.

11. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

I've generally found the best strategy to usually be to go ahead and take the weapon skill if you're going for melee but do not put skill points into it until your skills are fairly well developed and you've got good weapons of the appropriate type. Endgame artifact weapons are generally similar enough that you usually won't be giving up a great deal by sticking to your weapon of choice, but there's no telling how long it will take to get your first really good weapon of that type so there's no sense tying yourself down before you get yourself equipped.

12. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Incomplete build I've been working on, died on floor 11 due to a Brax mishap (the collectors didn't kill me, they softened me up for a nasty trap that I ran over while clearing the place at light speed to find the other Braxes)

Clockwork Knight - Keystone skill Max this as soon as feasible.
    Tinkering
    Smithing - these give good value for Clockwork Knight, of course.
    Master of Arms - extremely good defensive buffs, goes well with using Clockwork Armor
    Dual Wielding - Powerful, but I feel like the ability to use shields would have been more helpful.
    Demonologist - Used it as a defensive skill tree, earnt up to infernal contract then ignored it. Ultimately became exceedingly useless, and made me regret it when up against the seething Fish armies
    Piracy - Was a total throwaway skill that was actually exceedingly useful for clearing monster zoos, for those situations that Charge of the Steam Brigade didn't solve by being activated.

Overall strategy was to use craft skills to get exceedingly powerful armor, use Dual Wielding and Master of Arms to be untouchable, use Clockwork Knight skills to extract oneself from dangerous situations/ones involving corruption or theft

13. Rooks

Rooks Member

My last win on GR/PD came from:

Astrology - Lvl 1 buff is bugged and I exploited it its fullest extent. Further buffs help with resists later on. Final dmg spell is useful in a pinch, but mostly ignored.
    Perception - Infinite ingots/heals/shiny from lucky, Eye lasers + Astrology bug = 600+ dmg hits
    Clockwork Knight - Rocket fist for ranged knock-back, tech salvage for tink parts, everything else gravy
    Tinkerer - Free ingots from perception+tech salvage = infinite arrows/traps/etc
    Fungal - General utility and survival. The plethora of buffs/resists you can garner from the tree is amazing with only 1 skill point.
    Burglar - Free teleport, free lockpicks (lutefisk fodder), free vending machine stuff, and free invis? Always.
    Unarmed - Great stat buffs, early oh-*&(! knockback, and dmg bonuses apply to ranged attacks.

The char was a total ranged beast, with melee only when absolutely required, which was virtually nil due to burglar, knockback skills, and fungal. There was no need to take archery, as the bonuses are meek in comparison, and I had little need for ammo recovery with how many arrows I could craft with 9 tink (6 tink, 2 cwk, 1 goggles). Generally only used tomes, as adding a zalgo hit, confusing mist, thaumite swarm, or 2 square blinding flash to a bolt attack ruins zoos.

14. Aegho

Aegho Member

There's no benefit above 7 tinkering for crafting purposes, only for spells that scale with it.

IE:
    Code:
    <craft>
      <output skill="0" name="Steel Bolt" amount="6"/>
      <output skill="1" name="Steel Bolt" amount="7"/>
      <output skill="2" name="Barbed Steel Bolt" amount="8"/>
      <output skill="3" name="Barbed Steel Bolt" amount="9"/>
      <output skill="4" name="Cruelly Barbed Steel Bolt" amount="10"/>
      <output skill="5" name="Cruelly Barbed Steel Bolt" amount="11"/>
      <output skill="6" name="Ingeniously Scythed Steel Bolt" amount="12"/>
      <output skill="7" name="Ingeniously Scythed Steel Bolt" amount="13"/>
      <tool tag="tinkerer" />
      <input name="Steel Ingot"/>
      </craft>
    There's no recepies above 7 tinkering.

15. Rooks

Rooks Member

I kind of figured as much, but I didn't really take the time to see if I had any actual increase from further points. It does help me for future builds though - If I don't need the trap sight/finity, I won't bother maxing tink out. Those last few levels get to be a real chore to grind out. Thanks for the input Aegho.

16. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

You may as well have used Rogue Scientist - would have counted as a rogue skill for levelling and presumably given you better bonuses - and the first skill is literally the same on either. Only difference is Rogue Scientist would give you efficient alchemy instead of efficient smithing.

17. SigFloyd

SigFloyd Member

It was pretty rough going until I finally built/bought everything I wanted and no longer needed to hang onto a lot of materials. I really like how the last skill in the Clockwork Knight line makes Clockwork Threshing go into overdrive, swinging at everything around you. The first time I flew into a monster zoo with that was quite amazing, just ripping and tearing more than half the mob before it runs out. Augmented Limbs paired with the Ravager chainaxe is pretty brutal as well. Going ape shit on one target with up to five hits in a single turn. Also, I've replaced the sound it makes when it goes off with that of a motor revving up, and that adds to its awesomeness.

So far, I'm part way through floor 10 and just finished up a monster zoo. It's getting rough again since I have to play MUCH more tactically.

18. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

:confused: I would love to have that sound effect.

19. mining

mining Member

Has this been reported/discussed anywhere? Curious as to what bug is.

20. Rooks

Rooks Member

There's a few buffs that are broken at the moment, and stack rather than refresh when recasted. The Astro lvl 1 buff happens to be a particularly useful one, as it doesn't require an upkeep cost. The bug has been mentioned in a few places ( I know there's a whole bug thread about it here. I figured this out before the bug post, and learned how to reproduce it with 100% accuracy. I posted about it in the 1.0.11 feedback thread as well).

Essentially, stacking the Astro buff gives near infinite sight range, magic resist, mob dodge reduction, necro resist, sagacity, MP, and righteous damage. Combined with a plethora of builds, its absolutely devastating. The only caveat to the whole ordeal? Don't get hit ^_^.