several questions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by youtoo, Oct 26, 2013.

1. youtoo

youtoo Member

1. smaller levels option. tried this a few times. smaller levels are faster games so sometimes this is fun to try new skill strategies. you get less loot. so it looks like burglary and archealogy is not as useful when you do this. along with skills that give bonus xp since there are less mobs but they get your more xp. anyone agree? it also looks like this is a good place to stockpile wizardland codes since you need the extra loot.

i kind of like the smaller levels sometimes. its a faster game.

2. sometimes there are artifacts surrounded by water. is the only way to get them to have a skill skill tree that gives you some kind of teleport?

3. how hard can the wizardlands get? i know about the evil twins when you pull the wrong lever. they have killed me many times and drive me crazy. anything else i should be careful of? I tend to only do levels lower than the most recent one i cleared and i like to save level 1 wizardlands for when i get in trouble. need to teleport back to pocket dimension then go there to heal

4. other than potions of healing and a few spells, does anything else provide immediate healing?

5. anyone try a build with golemancy and a melee? this strikes me as a possible good build since it provides a 2nd target. i dont see it in any of the suggested builds.

2. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

1. What is the question? Yes. No. Probably.

2. There are other ways of obtaining those items. Paranormal Investigator has an ability almost exclusively to grab them. You can also displace them with various abilities, such as the Maces skill tree AoE attack. (The attack pushes the item over the water, onto the first land tile behind the water).

3. Wizardlands are as dangerous as the Dungeon Level you found the code on, bar the Evil Clones. If you didn't have an extremely hard time clearing the normal DL, the Wizardland should be fine. The monsters you encounter are randomized, but are leveled accordingly to the DL of the code. This means that the Wizardland could conceivably be a lot easier. If you have -3 :resist_hyperborean: on the Ice DL, you'll have a much harder time there than in the Wizardland (which won't nearly have as much :dmg_hyperborean:-dealing monsters)

4. Fairywodger mushrooms have a chance to heal you immediately by a small amount (I think about 10 HP). If it doesn't heal you immediately, it heals you over time (by 2 HP, I think) for a few turns.

5. Having any skill with a summon has a great synergy with Melee Builds. I strongly urge you not to look up any suggested builds to follow blindly, there aren't many around and they're generally purely personal preference at that. Dungeons of Dredmor is a very accessible and quite forgiving game for a Roguelike, but it's still a Roguelike. The different skill trees are definitely something you need to get a feel for yourself.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Re: 3. A bit harder than the deepest level of the dungeon proper (excluding Dredmor himself, depending on your build) but still below the Diggle Hell with Digula.

Re: 4. Fountains and vampiric drain give immediate healing effects. Psionic crystals likewise, but these can be gotten from a spell so you know about them.

Re: 5. Depends on the rest of your skills, but generally it is accepted that Golemancy is a good support skill regardless of whether you are playing a melee character or a ranged one of whatever sort (be it an archer or a caster).