[Scripting] Ability to have room scripts recognise generic items.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lccorp2, Apr 9, 2012.

1. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

What it says on the tin. I'm not sure how much work this would take, but I'd love for room scripts to be able to recognise generic items. With the system right now, every item involved in a script has to be identified with an ID, and that ID, not the item itself, is recognised in the script conditions.

Right now, if I wanted to create a room where a door opens when three different gems (say, an emerald, a ruby and a sapphire) are placed in different sockets, I'd have to specify the gems in the room itself, assign them IDs, and hope the player doesn't pick them up and stack them with others of the same kind lest they lose their IDs that way. What I'd like to be able to do would be for the script to recognise any old ruby, emerald or sapphire the player comes across in the dungeon in the condition.

This would also allow me to set up altars where players could sacrifice different items for a variety of rewards.

Just throwing this out.

Loswaith, FaxCelestis and Kazeto like this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I agree with lccopr2 here - it would be nice if we got the ability to use generic items instead of only ones with assigned IDs.
    That would really allow us to create some weird puzzle rooms that would depend on the player doing something in the long run, because we'll be able to use generic items (and thus make it into sort-of-a-sidequest, as he will have to get them somewhere) instead of forcing them to bring another unique item that might or might not had spawned, depending on whether another room spawned as well.

3. xml doesnt allow for that, it has to have a unique key as with any databasing system. (that Im aware of anyway)

4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

...it can use the item's name. It does that in spellDB.xml anyway, for spells that consume things.

Loswaith and Kazeto like this.