Windows Vista/7 64-bit Random Restart + AoE death bug?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Knallis, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Knallis

Knallis Member

I'm actually reporting this for a friend who does not have an account here and does not wish to make one.
    He was on floor 9 when the game suddenly took him to the title screen. He reloaded his save at the beginning of floor 9. He reloaded inside of an AoE fire spell that wasn't capable of hurting him since he was promethean. His hp was still very high. Even so, his character suddenly died at HP > 0 and his file was deleted.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm hoping that it wasn't just a seemingly random fluke and that its an actual issue with a resolution.

2. Nazerath

Nazerath Member

The guy Knallis is talking about is me. Hi.

I was entirely too frustrated after what happened to even consider bothering to post about it here 10 minutes ago. I always play with Permadeath on, and I've only reached Floor 9 two times - and both were really, really dumb ways to go as it were. My own search for an answer led me here, saw this post, and I figured I'd give my first-hand account.

Anyways, I had just resumed a game that I had left off on Floor 9. I was making steady progress, using some Anvils of Krong, showering everything in fire and blood (and blood on fire). I tried to change skills on the hotbar very suddenly, and missed, and my subsequent attempt to select the desired skill made my palm hit the keyboard in a most ungraceful manner (my left palm if you must know). Two seconds later I'm staring at the game's title screen, yelling "WTF" at my room mate.

I go back into the Load Game menu, find the same save I had resumed from initially. A bit frustrated at the lost progress, but not too discouraged, I loaded the game.

Next thing I know I'm dead, and considerably upset.

Both times I loaded what was the exact same save. When I had left the game off, I left in a hurry and had just stepped onto a Rune of Exploding I had created myself. I had the Promethean skill tree maxed out, as well as a LOT of additional fire resist from equipment. My health was maxed at 89/89. The rune exploded both times I loaded the save file, but it didn't hurt me the first time at all (if it was INDEED the rune that hurt me anyways. I was at max health, then I wasn't. Boo.).

Anyways, that's pretty much what happened. I'm playing the game on Windows 7 via Steam. Game was fullscreened, on 1920x1080 resolution, smooth scaling on. No additional launch options (like openGL) enabled as far as I know. So nothing unusual with the game itself.

I was however streaming the game out to a friend who wanted to observe via Xsplit. I don't think that could have caused a problem outside of a slightly lower framerate, but I figured I'd mention it.

I think that's about as much helpful info as I can squeeze out of myself for you guys. Cheers.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Sorry that happened. I can't personally give you an answer, but I'll let the devs know about this, we'll see if we can figure out what happened.

One thing I don't understand, what did you mean by "back to the title screen"? Since you had to save to get there, but then you said you loaded an earlier save. How'd that happen?

4. Nazerath

Nazerath Member

It's exactly as I said, and it honestly perplexed me too, because I know the game won't let you quit until you save.

Literally, I loaded up my save file, played a bit, my palm mashed the keyboard, and then I was SUDDENLY at the title screen. The menu didn't pop up, so I'm pretty sure I didn't hit the Save and Quit option. And I know it didn't do so on it's owjn because the snapshot of the save file in the Load Game screen looked exactly the same as when I first rebooted the game. Same exact door, facing the same exact way, on top of the same exact spot where the rune of exploding was.

It was Deja Vu. Like in the Matrix. Only with more instantaneous death. :D

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

That's... amazing in a way. Good job, you hacked the game.