Radiant Wizard

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by lccorp2, Jan 18, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I was not. I actually just figured it out and updated. My sincere apologies to all. I was reading other threads and found the ever useful bit about the version number showing in 1.09B... Mine did not show, so I bothered to let it update. Everything works fine. Thank you all! :)

2. zorackprime

zorackprime Member

love it o.o got killed by a diggle in level 1 cause i was careless but l-o-v-e this mod

3. zorackprime

zorackprime Member

so...i just got to use the capstone skill for the first time....THE POWAH....THE POWAAAAAAAH!

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

hey, if you want to get rid of that double-appearance of Light Dart at level 1, just move the PolymorphOnly version of Light Dart anywhere below Dazzling Blast in your skillDB.

BTW, this sh!t is fun as hell. :)

5. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Thanks for playing!

Although I just tried that fix, and it didn't seem to work. It's a minor cosmetic issue, anyways, easily worked around within seconds, so there's no need to worry about it.

6. I'm not sure I get the point of realignment. Don't the debuffs from leveling basically cancel the bonuses? Or am I missing something?

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The first hit you'll be protected against much better. The second one better. Then third one too. But any further hits on you will hurt more.
    But this is a skill line that is supposed to turn you into a magical glass cannon, so you have to be crazy to get yourself into a situation where you get hit more than once (and even that one time is sub-optimal).

8. Ah, alright then. It still doesn't seem all that helpful to me, but it's the only ability I have a problem with.

9. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Realignment is essentially a pre-emptive defensive tool. Note that the bonuses from the buff amount to about two stacks of Breached; if you know you're going into a situation where you're likely to take a hit, then throw it up; the high mana cost is intended to deter players from keeping it up all the time. Keep in mind the total damage of the DoTs increase by 6 for each stack of breached on you, so there is a small buffer. If you think you're going to be able to tank with it, no chance of that - it's supposed to buy you some time, and that's all.

Building on that, a lot of the defenses in the skill are essentially pre-emptive - if you try and use them when you're already in trouble, only Dazzling Blast and Transcendence will do you much good.

Wi§p and Kazeto like this.
  10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's the general principle if one is using a "glass cannon" build - the best defence is pre-emptive violence on a massive scale, because you can kill things before they get to you, and thus you should kill things before they get to you.

If you try to do anything counter-style after they already got to you while playing with such a build, it's either time to sacrifice a few human hearts to the RNG, or to roll a new character (and probably to drink something after realizing the size of the hole in one's tactics).

Darkmere likes this.
  11. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Radiant Wizard has a lot of negative synergies that makes it kind of a pain for playing only random builds. Could that possibly be toned down somehow, say by having a way to turn stuff off but sacrifice the benefits? Or it could be removed from RR now that 1.0.10 is out, too, so that it can be disabled without also disabling RR or having to modify it.

Err whoops, this post was supposed to be in the RR thread. I guess it's perfectly fine here though, so I won't make another.

12. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

After reading about this in the community spotlight, I decided to actually give mods a try. I've only had 3 runs with this skill, but I had a lot of fun with it. My longest run ended on level 4 when I got hit in the face by a moustache golem...Gotta say, you've succeeded in creating a 'glass cannon' skill! (coincedentally, it's my favourite RPG archetype)

It changed the way I usually play DoD, so kudos! :)

Kazeto and Essence like this.
  13. Atech2

Atech2 Member

I like this skilltree lots, but I have a question about this.

Blood Magic increases Meltdown damage?? How much?

14. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Meltdown damage does righteous damage. Blood magic gives you a righteous damage penalty. This disynergy was intended.

15. Kikoru

Kikoru Member

I understand that there is supposed to be a disynergy between the two, however when I gave it a shot to see just how dysynergetic it was, I got meltdown and was taking some TWENTY damage a turn the very first turn I got meltdown.

Is -that- intended? I took five from a slime hit, meltdown - almost dead. I see that it stacks based on the amount of Breached you have, but that was also my first stack of Breached. I am curious as to what caused this, or if it was intended that thinking about getting Blood Magic will result in you having a horrible time with Radiant Wiz.

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It is intended to instagib you if you are not extra paranoid. There is a reason the RW is described as being made of silly putty and exploding when hit. :)

17. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

It is completely and utterly intended. Due to Radiant Wizard's ease of one-shotting things in huge swathes (especially when you get prismatic spray) and huge :magic_power: bonuses, if you take Blood Magic, it easily nullifies one of the tree's major weaknesses - that running out of mana will spell doom. Each level of Blood Magic you take is -1:resist_righteous:, and that's one extra damage per tick of meltdown. Assuming no resists, meltdown is 1:dmg_conflagratory:1:dmg_righteous:1:dmg_aethereal: base and another 1:dmg_conflagratory:1:dmg_righteous:1:dmg_aethereal: from breached, for two ticks. Severe meltdown is 2:dmg_conflagratory:2:dmg_righteous:2:dmg_aethereal: base. It *is* possible, if you're extremely unlucky, for both to proc together. That's already terrible - now, imagine you're taking 5:dmg_righteous: more per tick if you have full blood magic.

I HAVE played blood magic builds with RW before, and one has to be extra paranoid when doing so, although mana is no longer ever a concern.

OmniNegro likes this.
  18. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

easy, never level up blood magic.

It's not like you have to anyways...

19. Kikoru

Kikoru Member

I never put any points in blood magic, that's the thing!

Then another bizarre occurrence happened - I died from 70 health from a single Dwarven Landmine, is that even possible? Reading on it a Landmine does 10+10 plus fire spell effects, and I had fire resistance from Realignment active at the time. Then on the death screen it said 'died from Player', not from 'fire' or anything like that, which then further weirds me out because I had no stacks of Breached or anything like that. It was a single, full hit - the second the explosion particle finished, my -entire- health bar immediately vanished. It wasn't an Elder Rune trap either(which would have made slightly more sense in a way, given my 103 Magic Power), as it made a flamefield, etc.

(Or maybe the game just got upset that I had infinite mana, more or less. 3 Mana Zenzizenzizenzic(base) was trivial, but I still had to take care from Meltdowns/Major Meltdowns.)

20. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Assuming you got the worst of the luck of the draw, let's say you have no resistances, plus the -1:resist_righteous: from 1 level of blood mage. Assume that you have both meltdown and greater meltdown active at the same time. That's 2:dmg_righteous: 1:dmg_aethereal: 1:dmg_conflagratory: per tick from meltdown, and 3:dmg_righteous: 2:dmg_aethereal: 2:dmg_conflagratory: per tick from severe meltdown, which is a total of 11 damage per tick, and 22 damage over two ticks. Factor in that you were hit once for -1:resist_righteous: -1:resist_aethereal: -1:resist_conflagratory: from breached, which adds 3 damage to each of the DoT ticks, which means you take a total of 17 damage per tick in the worst-case scenario for a total of 34 over 2 rounds.

Re: landmines - It's certainly possible. My first death was from a landmine. 10:dmg_conflagratory: 10:dmg_blast: from the initial explosion, followed by 3+0.05:magic_power::dmg_conflagratory: from flamefield 1 per round and 2+0.25:magic_power: :dmg_conflagratory: + 2+0.2 :magic_power::dmg_blast: per round from fireball effect. Given your high :magic_power: and the fact that traps scale off the player's stats, it's quite possible to die.