Quick Fixes (Skill buffs/nerfs)

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Avathacis, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Avathacis

Avathacis Member

As per my post in the general section of our forums, I attempted to push some balance for some underused skills. As the title assumes, I probably won't be doing something magical to the skills, just bumping up the numbers a bit.

The first in line is Assassination. I'm not quite happy with the changes I've made, so if you have some suggestions - drop by.

Changelog:

Picking up the tree now gives Thieving Gloves as a starting item.
    Blackjack now grants +1 crushing damage.
    Slim Customer passive values buffed from +1 Nimbleness/+3 Sneakiness/+1 Crit to +2 Nimbleness/+3 Sneakiness/+3 Crit.
    Et Tu? proc now scales with Nimbleness (from scaling with nothing) with a ratio of 0.5.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to make it easily usable without replacing your game files. For now - copy the files into your game folder to install this mod. MAKE BACKUPS.

Attached Files:

Daynab likes this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Just for comparison:

ASSASSINATION
    Slim Customer now gives a 12% on-Kill buff that grants +20 Sneakiness until hit.
    Venomous Infusion is no longer an active skill; it now happens automatically 17% of the time when you get attacked in combat. It has been renamed Venomous Vengeance.

:)

3. Avathacis

Avathacis Member

I dislike the change to Slim Customer - it requires the player to pick up something with dodge/block/counter (albeit it will probably happen anyway) to make it effective. I'd change it to a on-hit (or when-hit) buff with a 1 turn invisibility + 100% chance of sneaky shiv on the next hit. Unfortunately, I'm not as good at doing this as you are, Essence.
    If it would happen, I'd probably remove all of the passive stat bonuses from it, though. It would also call for a change of position inside the tree.

4. Essence

I don't understand your logic. Why does it needs dodge/block/counter? The whole point is that with +20 Sneakiness, you have a decent chance of being able to sneak into position for your next attack. It's not supposed to last past that.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Avathacis

Avathacis Member

Sneaky Shiv scales +0,33 per point in Sneakiness, so you might want to have as much sneakiness as possible when possible.

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And that is what the +20 sneakiness is for. Why would it need dodge/block/counter?

7. Essence

Actually, I can see at least the desire for a +100% Sneaky Shiv proc attached to the Sneakiness buff. /ponder

8. Avathacis

Avathacis Member

It means you can preserve the buff for longer durations, I guess.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's not about "guessing" there, I'm afraid. It is a low tier bonus, and the +20 sneakiness it gives is good on its own. If you want more dodge stat, get artful dodger to go with it or get some bonuses on items.

10. Essence

Little snarky, Kazeto? Lujo got you riled up? ;)

(That said, I agree -- I'd rather have the player encouraged to build a synergistic build than give him a 2nd-level skill that is entirely self-contained and self-supporting.)

mining and Vitellozzo like this.
  11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Nah, not really. I just am somewhat tired and can see that Avathacis seems not to consider the tier of ability he wants to get buffed. Ergo, a blunt answer has a higher chance to make him stop for a moment and think about it than a "gentle" one. But hey, it all comes with time, maybe after half a year he will have a rebalance pack that would rival yours in download count.

Unless you mean the "get artful dodger" bit, in which case it was just a piece of advice.

12. Nacho

Nacho Member

Is there somewhere I can find a full list of these rebalances, because I use the wiki to plan all my builds, and things like this really mess me up. For instance, the wiki says Sneaky Shiv scales at 1/2 your magic power, just like Et tu?

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You would have to either check the data files or pester Essence. The first one is preferable if you know how to do it, but if it's beyond your ability then you are left with the "pester Essence" option.

14. mining

mining Member

He means, because it's a buff that goes down when YOU get hit, players will want to maximize the duration of the buff, thus the PLAYER needs to pick up dodge/counter in order to not get hit, and keep the buff for longer. Also, exoticity of mundane damage.

Glad to be of service.

15. Nacho

Nacho Member

I'll combine the two and pester essence to tell me how to check the data files.

Kazeto likes this.
  16. Essence

Sure. Search your computer for "skillDB.xml" and "spellDB.xml". You should get a few of each. Find the one that's in the Dungeons of Dredmor/Game folder. Open them via notepad. Read them until you understand them. Ta-da! :p

Turbo164 and Kazeto like this.
  17. Avathacis

Avathacis Member

The "I guess" was a bit sarcastic there, but it's not like it's so terrible to guess what will be better. It's not like we don't "guess" before we test.

Also, Kazeto, if you got offended by this, I'm sorry to say I'm not sorry. There wasn't really much to get offended about. I think you missed the point by a bit, but mining explains it pretty well (thanks, mining).

And, at last - remember, it's not like I shove my mod into everybody's face and shout YOU MUST PLEI MAH MOD. Don't get riled up and, really, I like to discuss what's better or worse for the game and I'm not doing it offensively.

Off to test Essence's mod. Maybe I'll learn something.

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

~sigh~

I did not get offended by your post, Avathacis, so don't think about whether I did or not because you are only going to frustrate yourself; honestly, there aren't many things on the internet that can offend me, especially since I spend 8 hours every working day having my patience tested.
    Also, I did not suggest that you shoved your mod in other players' faces - that is why I replied to Essence that you seem not to be considerate of the tier of the ability you were suggesting to get buffed, which is so common when you are new that it doesn't mean anything other than "you need more experience with mods, good luck", and why I added that in the future you might be able to make a rebalance mod that rivalled his (I do find it unlikely because Essence has way too much fun with it, but either way anyone can get good at making mods and at "feeling" what changes ought to be made, it just requires some experience).
    Finally, I did not get riled up - I was merely replying and any bluntness you might have perceived was there only because I was tired (I usually am, though, but that is another point entirely) and because bluntness usually works better when explaining things to "fresh" modders, but if you do not cope with bluntness well then I can promise to be gentler next time.

Getting back to the point where you wrote that I likely missed a point - no, I did not. It is just that if the ability got any stronger, it would have to be moved to a higher tier, so for where it is right now it is strong enough. You might not feel that way because sneakiness tends to be ignored, but if you have some movement (teleports) and evasive (invisibility, for example) skills you can keep the buff up for most of the time, especially later in the game if you get enough dodge (because even without buffing this it is possible to reach inhuman dodge values) so any additional defensive bonuses would do too much early on (where the damage bonus to the shiv is a good enough boon) and not be much of a change later in the game. But I'm speeding up so I'll stop before I create another wall of text.

PS. The sigh at the beginning was not one of annoyance. I just got back from work and am somewhat tired, so it is supposed to represent me sighing deeply to get into the mindset of writing on the forum.

19. Avathacis

Avathacis Member

I feel somewhat strange. I'm not sure we're communicating with each other about the skill, but let's smoke a peace pipe on the other issue.

On to the skill. What I meant is that the player would likely pick up additional skills (Shield Bearer/Master of Arms/Masterful Dodge/Perception (to some extent)/Any skill with blink or invis) to keep up the buff for very long times, when it isn't supposed to last that long. I mean, yeah, on level 6+ the 7 damage on a 21% isn't that much, but picking it up early, along with Sneaky Shiv, would make you breeze through DL 1-3 (maybe I'm overrating this), as it gives not only damage, but, sort of, a situational dodge (not attracting attention at all). Flick that in with daggers/swords (swords for CA, daggers for either moar sneakiness or CA) and you can probably 1-2 shot GRPD bosses if you're a bit lucky.

Maybe I am overreacting, but I find it a bit OP in a way that it's both a strong defensive and strong offensive skill in the tree. I guess testing will find the truth.

Also, Essence, are the Assassination changes in the alpha files? I checked the files on page 5, but the changes weren't there for some reason.

Kazeto likes this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Ok, sure.

Oh, so you are talking about skill synergy. I really did misinterpret what you said and I was so sure I did not, sorry about that mistake of mine. That also means my comments about your ability to match abilities with their tiers were also misplaced, so I would be grateful if you ignored them.
    If you put it that way (that it might be too powerful when you pick synergising skill trees with it), then I do agree with you. Though I'm not sure if it's that much of an issue (because you have to take two or three skill trees for the purpose of making that one stronger, and that happens with many other skill trees too, even if perhaps not on such scale depending on the chosen skill trees), but it definitely is something worth thinking about.

I think these changes are from his second rebalance mod, so not in alpha. I think, because it's been quite some time before I played with this particular skill tree.