Windows Vista/7 64-bit Pre-patch 1.1.1 Saves crashing game

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Danridar, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Danridar

Danridar Member

I can't seem to get two of my older saves to load since the patch went in, they crash DoD. I also have "YHTNTE"

I've got two saves this happens with, both are Lower than level one (One's like at floor level 9, the other's only on level 2). I have a 3rd save that hasn't gonna anywhere on level 1 yet that was saved prior to the Patch and it loaded fine.

2. Frelus

Frelus Member

I think they said that this update was to be save-crashing to enable a new savegame system and get rid of loadsave.dat.

3. Oh, I was literally just typing this!

Frelus, are you saying that they've made it so all previous games are inaccessible on purpose?

4. Frelus

Frelus Member

Indirectly.
    The current savegame format was seen as really bad (as it really was) and thusly, replaced in this update which would likely have broken saves, anyway.
    With another savegame format, the old ones will obviously not work.

5. Oh dear, I had a save I've been working on for a long time, trying to get a particular set of achievements :(. Do you think it's something they're just not likely going to fix?

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

We got it to the point where *some* save games will work - mainly those without mods. The issue that we found was that mods would update all the time in the background, and then Steam Workshop would break your save games for you. So we rewrote everything. As a consequence, some save games with mods won't work.

If you have a vanilla save game without mods that's not working, then quite possibly it's something we missed. Put it up here, and I'll take a look at it. Our ability to handle save game backwards compatibility well has always been a huge pain in the butt.

Exile likes this.
  7. Frelus

Frelus Member

Yep, very unlikely. I mean, they did not change it for nothing.
    On the bright side, things like mods are now included in saves (i have read), so mods updating will not crash your saves anymore.
    Hell, I should have become a salesman.

8. Frelus

Frelus Member

Oh, Nicolas posted, I am backing off..

9. Yep, my game is completely vanilla, and every save results in the game instantly closing down. Sorry to be such a n00b at these busy times, but what file should I be putting up?

10. Nicholas

You'll find it in C:\users\yourname\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor on win32. Look for a ".sav" file; I'll also take your loadsave.dat if you have one.

Exile likes this.
  11. Attached Files:

12. Nicholas

That's the bitmap; I need the actual, non-bitmap .sav.

Exile likes this.
  13. Nicholas

That looks like the one. Let's have a look.

Exile likes this.
  14. Danridar

Danridar Member

15. bobend

bobend Member

16. Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242 Member

ah damn....wish i had read about this before updating...my level 8 save doesnt work anymore :( and i'm on steam so i cant roll back the updates or anything.

17. Kregoth

Kregoth Member

Attached Files:

18. Nicholas

Hotfix up.

Exile likes this.
  19. bobend

bobend Member