Linux 64-bit No sound: OpenAL + Pulseaudio

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by eNTi, Jun 3, 2012.

1. eNTi

eNTi Member

Code:
    nt@eNTi $ ./Dredmor-amd64
    dungeons of dredmor: version 1.0.10
    argv[i]: ./Dredmor-amd64
    SDL version 1.2.15
    AL_VENDOR: OpenAL Community
    AL_RENDERER: OpenAL Soft
    AL_VERSION: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.14
    AL_EXTENSIONS: AL_EXT_ALAW AL_EXT_DOUBLE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE AL_EXT_FLOAT32 AL_EXT_IMA4 AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_MULAW AL_EXT_MULAW_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_source_distance_model AL_LOKI_quadriphonic AL_SOFT_buffer_samples AL_SOFT_buffer_sub_data AL_SOFTX_deferred_updates AL_SOFT_direct_channels AL_SOFT_loop_points
    AL lib: context_state_callback2: Received context failure!
    AL lib: stream_state_callback2: Received stream failure!
    Code:
    Linux eNTi 3.3.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 22 00:26:26 CEST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    if i start the game and have a pa session running (music) the daemon is killed.

Code:
    /etc/libao.conf 
    default_driver=pulse
    Code:
    /etc/openal/alsoft.conf
    drivers = pulse,alsa
    pulseaudio version: pulseaudio-git (2.0.x)

2. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

How are you running the game, and which version do you have installed (Desura, Humble Bundle, etc)? It's often better to run the game through the shell scripts provided (e.g. desura_launch_play.sh on Desura) instead of running the binary file directly, as the shell script points the game towards the libraries that have been bundled with the game.

3. eNTi

eNTi Member

i got the game from desura (desurium actually. The game Version shows as:

Mar 29 2012, 7:46am - VERSION: 1.0.10

it doesn't matter how i run the game, i always have the same results. as you see in the first code section, i ran it from the command line.

4. eNTi

eNTi Member

so... anyone? i really like to play this game with sound? someone must have use a similar setup? i mean pulseaudio is not that exotic?

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply. I'll bring it up with the devs.

6. It's difficult to say where the exact problem lies in these cases, as the Linux audio landscape is full of potential culprits at any given moment, but it's easy to point the finger at "this is whatever was in PulseAudio's git repo the day I built it."

My recommendation: replace the OpenAL library we shipped with your system's copy. Often times, this will fix problems anyhow, but if you know it works with other games, it should fix your audio problem here, too.

--ryan.

7. Also, you can tell OpenAL to target "sdl" instead of "pulse," which might fix your problem. We shipped a custom OpenAL that defaults to playing audio through SDL if not overridden by a config file. It might be that one path to PulseAudio works better than another, as eventually SDL will talk to Pulse anyhow.

8. eNTi

eNTi Member

i solved it by putting "alsa" before "pulse" in /etc/openal/alsoft.conf. since my default sink for alsa is pulse, it will use pulse anyway. just weird that it can't access pulse directly.