New Worst Build?

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Peter Radiator Full Pig, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, assuming we are going with your rebalance (because "because"), we have then Haematic Phylactery three tiers above the start. Other than that, it's all mana.

So no, not really useful.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I'm running one of these worst builds right now with Essence's rebalance. Red Shirt has made it to the fourth floor so far, mostly due to an overactive sense of self-preservation, though the RNG gods have been kind as well. I've never had to be so cautious with a character. Having no trap-sight and -20 EDR to start with makes the first floor nightmarish. The camera must have saved me at least half a dozen times.

Anyhow here's what my skills look like about half way through DL 4.

Redshirt.png
    PLUS

Leylines with no investment. AND
    Tourism with one point for 'See the SIghts'

I don't think this character has much hope of making it to Dredmor on DL 15 let alone beating him. Even with maxed out skills this character will have atrocious stats due to all the wizard skills without spells. I'm committed at this point though and it should be an interesting ride.

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

You...are a better player than I, Kirk. :)

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. mining

mining Member

By eliminating blood magic's sacrificial dagger, the player (with 0 melee power) must rely on the camera to do any damage. The camera runs out quickly. They die horribly, still without a weapon (most likely).

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Yeah, the starting equipment with this build is absolute crap. You have to find some equipment in the first few rooms or you won't last long. I've never played a character who was so reliant on the RNG. I've also closed more doors and high tailed it from more named monsters than I have since the early days of DoD. Back when fighting named monsters wasn't just a risk but a guaranteed death sentence. Just fighting a diggle with -20 EDR is a good way to get killed.

My first points were into Dual Wield and Drinker of the Dead, though I had to one step my way around the dungeon due to nil trapsight.

The only upside to this build (if you can even call it that) is that since I have no use for food, crafting items, or even booze (until I find some gargle blasters anyway) I can sell all of those things to Brax for much needed gear. There were three shops on DL 1 and I bought half of what was in them and am contemplating the risk of returning to steal a Clockwork Rail Launcher. Most of my runs I don't give Brax the time of day since I'm typically either crafting or robbing him blind. Suffice to say this has been a very unusual run in many ways thus far.

And thanks Essence. :D

Turbo164, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. gia257

gia257 Member

you
    you can beat the game with clockwork knight, you just jump on top of a door, now you can ran away form dredmor anytime you decide, so long he doesnt one shots you

Kazeto likes this.
  7. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

It's been a while since I've played DoD so this post is much delayed but here is a look at RedShirt on DL8.

Redshirt DL8.png

At this point Dual Wield, Vampirism, Artful Dodging, and Tourism are maxed out. I'm beginning to work on Magic Training. I may never point a point into Blood Magic for fear of fishes. ( or due to a gruesome death, the jury is still out )

mining, Turbo164 and Kazeto like this.
  8. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Finally died on the tenth floor due to multiple clicks during a save freeze. Several turns resolved at once and death followed.
    Rest in peace Red Shirt. Truly you were one of the best of us... *salutes*

Darkmere and Kazeto like this.
  9. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Then I guess that can't be the *worst* build. A worst build probably wouldn't make it past floor 6.

10. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

That depends on the player and RNG. The amount of caution I had to exercise borders on absurd and I was extremely lucky in finding a breastplate on the first floor and this was done with Essence's rebalance, so dualwield starts with a -20 EDR. Just getting past the first floor is incredibly difficult.

It could probably be a bit worse though.

11. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Dual Wielding skill with -20 EDR would severely nerf melee fights against Lord Dredmor where Counter and EDR are crucial. It's already almost impossible to melee Dredmor as is.
    Also, the worst build should probably happen in vanilla unless GLG decides to implement essence's rebalance.

Edit: I just czeched the Skills Rebalance thread and it seems you get the EDR back from levelling Dual Wield. This would encourage users to level Dual Wield Early, because the -20 EDR will set you to zero unless you have alot of Rogue Starting skills.

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

They already did that in part once or twice. (Or more, my memory sucks.)

I think it will become largely vanilla as time goes on. (Meaning DoD will absorb larger parts of the rebalance. We all love it after all.)

13. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

There's a thing about high magic power that many people seem to miss. It would start to matter when you get a lot of items with special abilities like the Mittens of hiperborean Hirophant, Kronged weapons with procs and magical books.

14. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

It's also really nice if you can find some wands, which I used pretty extensively. Still really rough though.

15. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Speaking of Wands, does Wand Lore/Wandcrafting still have Baton Polisher? I really liked that skill.

16. Kawauso

Kawauso Member

Dagger is one of the worst skill to start with if you go full rogue. It's even worse if you try to dual wield without Blood Magic nor Communist.

Edit : Actually archeologist is quite useful for traps, and with ESCRII it gives a good "escape" button really early.

17. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Pure Rogues don't melee. Android Rogues dual wield daggers, but use techniques like Swashbuckling and Evasive Manoeuvres to compensate tough melee situations.

Kazeto likes this.
  18. Dratai

Dratai Member

Guys.

Gimme a worst build.
    Really, just do it.

I will lets play it and make it (sort-of) succeed.
    Or stream it.
    Because screw logic.

Basically, challenge accepted! Any/all of them

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sword, Mace, Dagger, Polearm, Axe, Leylines, and Tinker. (I.E. Nothing useful at all since you cannot ever use more than two of the five weapon skills, and with considerable challenge without Dual Wield.)

*Edit* You can probably swap Tinker or Leylines for Staves if you think that will be worse.

20. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

That's not too bad. It sounds horribly redundant but with that many warrior skills you'd have a great burl/hp progression and tinkering is flat out awesome and does not belong in any 'worst' build.

I say Blood Magic, Magic Training, Leylines, Vampirism, Dagger, Assassination.... and maybe Staves... yeah Staves sounds pretty awful.

This gives you something that has no crafting, no trapsight, and no use for mana outside of revoking magic licenses and using the leylines teleport, (the only escape skill in this mess) all the way at the top of an otherwise useless skill tree. Throw in the difficulties of being a vampire and a pretty abysmal hp progression and I can't think of how it could get much worse than this. Not without mods anyway.

Best of luck.

OmniaNigrum likes this.