New wizardland room: cryptograms, or red herrings?

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by impishacid, Aug 26, 2012.

1. impishacid

impishacid Member

Hey, so in the wizardland Mlounfzukbanuz (DL 3, found on grpd if that matters), I saw a new room with SIXTY-FOUR 'dusty bookcases', each containing a different string of text, along the lines of these two:
    I have zero clue if these are actual text run through some kind of cryptogram, or if they're just 64 strings of gibberish, but I thought I'd leave this here in case smarter more cryptography-savvy people want to see if there are hidden messages and/or check out the Wizardland for the other 62?

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Well, ROT13 is out. That just turns it into the following.
    Wi o n d bhtt ztkpbgoz kc vjoiu dzmg
    Jzam V xhb ipdmkxwysjkzrzazawlqb vvoctu

And that makes so much more sense...

Checking other things.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have been trying various simple ciphers with various N= amounts and so far nothing but gibberish has appeared.

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/

Check that if you want to join the hunt!

4. Verendus

Verendus Member

I don't think it can be a substitution cipher. The only one-letter words in the English language are a and I. This text lists three: b, a, and q. Right next to each other, too.

Edit: Also, I went to that address, and didn't find any dusty bookcases (the closest approximation being two kitchen counters). You sure you have the right address?

5. Movra

Movra Member

Maybe it's in french?

6. Could they be different codes for each bookcase?

7. ploki122

ploki122 Member

most probably not... there is only one 1-letter word in french afaik (2 if you count diacritics)...

8. Movra

Movra Member

From the top of my head, there are least 2: y and a, as in "Il y a", which means "there is/are". But I can't think of a sentence that uses 3 different 1-letter words in succession.

Looking at it from a different angle, what about that 22-letter word?

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Clearly they are examples of a new language being made by the mad hatters at Gaslamp Games. It will probably have much to do with easier ways to say squid-deer, and phrases to use when ordering urchins to set themselves aflame and such. Those clever bastards...

10. delta534

delta534 Member

I think most of them are nonsense. Since one of them is this
    Found in the wizardRoomDB.xml in the expansion3 folder in the DoD game folder.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. impishacid

impishacid Member

Ahhhh, hahaha, thanks for the code mining, delta! :) (I'd figured the spaces might be random, because the bizarrely long words didn't fit either. but if it's all gibberish, that's all moot!)