New Skills

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by tomgezen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. tomgezen

tomgezen Member

I'm new and when I searched for this nothing came up. I see there are quite a number of skills and each one is a set of skills. Will there be more in the future? I know the game as it is now is already amazing and way more than most roguelikes have to offer, but I'm just curious. It's amazing so far, little disappointed with necronomics.. thought thered be some skeleton and zombie summoning there. I think the devs and whoever else should add little to none more content and have some way for players to make stuff. Either an in game create a doodle for the effect / monster and then give it a radius for effect and range. Sort of like how you made new skills in warcraft, but with custom doodles that we can upload from a file or possible use an in game paint.

The random dungeon already gives a stunning replay value but the classes, while many, are still limited. Unlimited class options + random dungeon would be infinite replay value.

The idea is... say I want to summon a skeleton. I would make a new root skill set called Necromancy. I would add the first skill in the set as summon skeleton or raise dead. The base skill might be summon mustache or summon whatever else for the AI movement + image size. Then maybe there could be a prompt for me to draw or upload a file for the new summon as well as setting the damage, life and mana cost. The animations for things in this game seem pretty basic so I wouldn't mind drawing 1 picture for a skeleton walking, standing still and attacking.

Maybe this is in the wrong spot as well, but like I said I'm new and did at least try the search bar first. I'm sure some people more used to this style of forum can comment on this if they like it, tell me where this should be if its wrong, and then after a bunch of people restate its in the wrong place a forum mod can move it.

2. Misery

Misery Member

They've already said (recent blog post) that yes, they'll be not only adding more skill sets, but expanding ones that are already there. AND they'll be making modding possible.

As it is though, it's pretty hard to complain about the way the game is now.... there's ALOT of different skills and such, and unlike a great many Roguelikes, the game does not force you to just pick from different classes; you basically come up with your own by combining the different skillsets that are there.

Either way though, it looks like they've got alot more planned for the game.

3. tomgezen

tomgezen Member

Yay. Thanks, thats the kind of answer I was looking for. So far I'm loving how strong the moustache familiar is :D It took down 3 deths and 2 angry diggles in 1 life. Then an electro slime killed it. I can't wait to mod! Not sure what I could possible add because its so awesome so far, but I'm sure I'll find something. Ohh! Avatar stuff! fire, water, air, earth bending. Golem mancy has the raise wall thing but earth bender could raise and lower any wall. It might become too similar though..

4. Animation

Animation Member

If I had to guess, I would say the OP *really* wants to summon a skeleton. I just get that feeling. ;)