Needful things

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by LionsDen, Apr 13, 2012.

1. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

v0.1.3 Had to change a few items because I was using an item command incorrectly.

v0.1.2 Added two items to the regular zip and the non-craft zip files. Will also be placing the regular zip file up on the steam workshop in just a moment or two. The items are a Vampire Shield and Frost Giant Skin Gloves. If there are any problems or you think there might be balancing issues, please leave me some feedback in this thread. Thanks and Enjoy.

05/31/2012: I thought that some people might not like the craft items I created so I have made multiple zip files. The Needful Things.zip file below has everything in 1 file. The Needful Things Craft.zip has only the craft items in case that was all you wanted. The Needful Things Non-Craft.zip file only have the non crafting items in it like the Bomb Bolts and the Midas Sword and the wooden arrow recipes. P.S. I am working on some other items but having a few troubles. They will be added when I get them worked out.

v0.1.1 Just uploaded. Adds a necklace for tinkering. I thought I had 2 items made for it but only had 1. The necklace also has a little something special on it. ;) I'm thinking about replacing Vulcan's Ring because you can wear 2 of them at the same time. Same with the tomes.

v0.1.0 This is just a little something I have been working on. I call it needful things because all it is so far is some items and crafting recipes.

The items are as follows:

Bomb Bolt - A bolt that causes an explosion when it hits. Less powerful than the Concussion Bomb.
    The Midas Touch - A dagger (sword) that has a special ability.
    Philosopher's Stone - A stone (staff) weapon that give +1 to :alchemy: plus a few other things.
    Smith's Hammer - A hammer (mace) that gives +1 to :smithing:.
    Alchemic Gloves - Gloves that give resistance and +1 to :alchemy:.
    Merlin's Hat - A hat that gives +1 to :wand_burn: and some Magic resistance and reflection.
    Cloak of Knowledge - Armor (torso) that gives +1 to :wand_burn: plus some others.
    Vulcan's Ring - A ring that gives +1 to :smithing: plus some other goodies.
    4 Tomes, that each give +1 to a crafting skill plus some other bonuses. (shield)

Crafting Recipes:

Bomb Bolt - Wooden Arrow and Concussion Bomb. (tinker)
    Wooden Arrow - 3 recipes to make from Gnarled Club, Hefty Stick or the Bo Staff. (tinker)

This is all I have so far. Hope you like them.

EDIT: To install, just copy the zip file to your mod directory.

Attached Files:

Zennock and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

A few minutes ago, I added a post to the Black Stat Extenders thread. I decided to post it here as well, so people could know that there was something new. Anyway, the post is below along with the file.

I didn't like how light the krong panels were, so I darkened them up a little bit to make it easier to read the changes. Here are the two files, they go into the dungeons of dredmor\ui\gameplay directory. I have included the originals, I just put a zero and a space in front of the name. To install, unzip the files into the directory mentioned above. Hope everyone likes this. I know it looks better and easier to read to me.

Attached Files:

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. Aegho

Aegho Member

So... you can get 4 :smithing: 3 :alchemy: 4 :wand_burn: 3 :tinkerer: just from this mod(not at the same time obviously, but still).

Not that it'd be fun juggling all that crafting gear and the crafting materials and still have any room for anything else. Making a central drop pile becomes even more of a necessity.

Btw, the wooden arrow thing: genius.

4. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Actually, you can use two crafting books at the same time so at least 4 each skill. I am thinking of removing the rings and books and replacing them with something you can use only one of. Maybe the smith's hammer as well.

Thanks about the wooden arrows. It annoyed me that there wasn't any way to craft some so I created a way. I figured that someone could cut up a wooden item to make arrows and that the higher the crafting level, the more they could get out of each piece of wood. :)

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. Aegho

Aegho Member

I'm counting on that, but you can't use two gloves or necklaces, nor can you use more than a total of 2 weapons/books at the same time. Thus alchemy and tinkering fall behind. Mind you if you include non-mod sources they catch up.

6. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Yeah, the new DLC adds a few items I guess including that rainbow alchemy potion that 1.0.10 added so You can go pretty good on that. :)

7. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I am placing the older files in this post so that if someone needs a previous version for some reason, they will find them here.

Attached Files:

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I think Vulcan's Ring is kinda unbalanced.

Comparing it to the nearest similar item in the main game:

Code:
    <item name="Vulcan's Ring" iconfile="items/ring_vulcan.png" artifact="1" >
        <price amount="1000" />
        <armour type="ring" level="1" randoms="0" />
        <artifact quality="3" />
        <secondarybuff id="19" amount="1" />
        <secondarybuff id="16" amount="1" />
        <secondarybuff id="17" amount="1" />
        <description text="A God's work is never done." />
    </item>
    vs:

Code:
    <item name="Tinkerer's Goggles" iconFile="items/helm_goggles.png">
        <price amount="2000"/>
        <armour level="5" type="head"/>
        <secondarybuff id="16" amount="1" /> <!-- trap level -->
        <secondarybuff id="17" amount="1" /> <!-- trap sight -->
      <secondarybuff id="20" amount="1" /> <!-- tinkering -->
        <secondarybuff id="18" amount="-1" />
        <description text="These can protect your eyes from flying mechanisms and scalding steam; Yea, you could build a veritable empire of clockwork."/>
        </item>

They give very similar stats. One point each of trap sight, trap skill, and a crafting skill. However…

• You can wear 2 rings, as mentioned in other posts in this thread.
    • Vulcan's Ring is level 1, Tink's Goggles are level 5, so you find the ring far sooner on average. If you get it on the first floor, that single point of trap ability will allow any character to disarm about 75% of the traps on that floor.
    • Tinkerer's Goggles cost twice as much, making it much harder to buy them if found in a first floor shop.
    • The Goggles come with a small penalty. While -1 sight isn't very hefty, it is directly applicable to people who rely on crossbows or thrown weapons, both of which are made using tinkering skill.
    • The goggles are a head-slot item, which means that using them is more of a trade-off. If you want to see the traps, it means you're going to have less armor.
    My suggestion: Raise price to at least 3000, and either raise level to at least 8, or raise it to 5 but add a counterbalancing penalty that's relevant to smithing characters. It'll still be situationally useful, but it won't warp the metagame by giving every character 2 free levels of trapskill and smithing very early on.

Similar thoughts re: the tomes. They're not as much of a problem because they're higher level, but basically this mod allows most characters to craft nearly anything without any skill investment whatsoever, and that's kinda over the top. Especially now with the Pocket Dimension available so there's no "cost" in terms of inventory space.

My current character is dealing 70 damage in melee, and I'm on floor 3 (and that's without abusing encrusting). I've got 2 Vulcan Rings which allowed me to craft an Asgardian Thunder Hammer despite having not yet maxed out smithing. It's pretty sick.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Good feedback, I will probably adjust this but I think floor level 8 might be a bit too far into the game especially when you can now get fantastic rings from the wizardlands right from level 1. Myabe level 3, 4 or 5 would be better but the higher price is a good idea as well, maybe somewhere between 2500 and 3000. I will keep this in mind when I go to update the mod.

10. DungeonDragon

DungeonDragon Member

Some thoughts that were written before and some possible changes.

Vulcan Ring > Vulcan Amulet
    or
    Smith Hammer > Smith Belt

and removing +1 to skill properties from weapons, tomes and double quipment(like Cloak of Knowledge+Merlin's Hat ) but giving those items some bonuses to stats or resistances maybe.
    It's an awesome idea to create items on par with Tinkering Goggles, it just needs a bit of ballance in my opinion, which is +1(only) to all crafting skills after installing your mod.

It also would've been nice to have wear all items without crossing each other. Like Tinkering Goggles+1:tinkerer: (head), +1:smithing:(Neck/belt) +1:alchemy: (gloves)+1:wand_burn:(Torso)

11. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Personally, I only put the items on when I need to do some crafting. I don't usually use them when I'm out fighting except for the Vulcan ring unless I find something better to use. As far as changing the items, I suggested it once but some people like it the way it is so balancing it in another way is what I'm trying to do. For instance, making the ring a level 5 item with a higher cost seems to be a step in the right direction.

I am also thinking about adding encrusts but as someone pointed out that would break the mod for anyone that doesn't have CotW so I might want to make another special little mod just for those.

I am working on a new glove that does the holy damage/resistance like my frost giant skin gloves do with hyperborean. It was requested of me. :)

12. DungeonDragon

DungeonDragon Member

Yeah, more or less, ballance is a subjective thing :)

As for the encrusts, you can always make a separate version of your mod.