Need some help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by HypnoticSheep, Jan 5, 2012.

1. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

Rather than creating a new thread for each question, I'll just put questions in here.

First off, is there a way to auto-equip the loadout from a skill tree? I'm giving players a helm with my tree, and it's going into the inventory instead of being equipped.

Also, is there a way to make text show up when an effect is triggered, like how Vampirism Attack or Berserker Rage do?

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

1) I have no idea. Some equipment seems to load automatically just fine (the Poisoneer's dagger), others just won't (the Wakizashi provided by Bushido.)

2) That's the name of a procced spell, and it's hardcoded to pop up automatically any time the spell goes off.

3. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

1) Huh, weird. Oh well, guess they can equip their beard manually.

2) So there's no way for me to make my spells make that show up?

4. Essence

Nope. Sorry. :(

5. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

So I'm playing around with the triggerfromlist effect, and I'm trying to make it so a wand casts a random spell chosen from a list of options. Problem is, the game freezes up when I try. I'm having the wand cast a spell, Prism Bolt, which uses effect="triggerfromlist" and chooses from a few spells that I know are working. Currently, my code looks like this:

Code:
    <spell name="Prism Bolt" type="target">
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/celestialring/celestialring" frames="8" sfx="evasion" framerate="60" centereffect="1"/>
      <effect type="triggerfromlist">
            <option name="Firebolt" />
            <option name="Icebolt" />
            <option name="Thunderbolt" />
      </effect>
    </spell>

<!-- Example of one of the spells: -->
    <spell name="Firebolt" type="target">
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/flame_buff_loop/flame_buff_loop" frames="6" sfx="dmg_conflagratory" framerate="60" centereffect="1"/>
      <effect type="damage" affectsCaster="1" conflagratory="7" conflagratoryF="0.10" blasting="3" />
    </spell>
    When I use the wand, the game crashes. Any ideas?

6. Essence

First thing to do, check all of your graphics and make sure they're all accurate. Game crashes, in my experience, are more often about graphics than anything else.

7. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

Accurate how? I've had a good amount of errors related to graphics, usually because I misspelled a filename or tried to use the fourth frame of a three-frame animation, but I've always gotten error messages before the game crashed. In this case, I don't get anything, the game just locks up and Windows kills it.

8. Essence

Hmm...maybe it's an issue with cast-from-list being on a wand? Try using it as a player skill and see if it works that way.

9. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Locking up generally means you don't have an animation where you must have one.

10. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

triggerfromlist is valid? none of the abilities in the game use this.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It supposedly is, as I heard they added it to the game because of the modding request thread.

12. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Somebody said that they asked Nicholas because they knew him pretty well.

13. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

Essence: Good idea, I'll give that a shot.

Null: If you look at the code I posted, I've got anim tags for both.

14. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

Okay, turns out I'm an idiot. I ended a spell above Prism Bolt with </spellDB>, so the rest of the spells weren't recognized. Whoops.

15. Essence

That'll do it. :D

So, about procs and floating text: will you post the code you're working with?