Need some help with a mod. New to modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Top8Gamer, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Hey I just have a few quick questions answered that I couldn't find in the DredMod wiki tutorials. Is there a way to create an item but not make it drop able in the dungeon or purchasable in the store. Also how do you go about making skills that give you items just like the communist skill that gives you a hat does.

*Edit* Forgot I need help with 2 more things. I want to make a skill that when you use it it destroys a specific item on your character. Is that possible? Also in the tutorial it tells me to create a bunch of folders in the mod directory such as mods and items. It then tells me to place all xml files in the mod directory. But I'm making an xml that creates items. Do I place this xml file in the mod folder or the item folder?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Jellp

Jellp Member

I think, but not sure. you need to add special="1"

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Ah alright I now see that in the item system refrence page. Also noticed theres a craftoutput="1". Im guessing indicates whether or not an item is only craftable so it removes it from the drops. would this also work?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Ok thanks for all the tips. I have been looking around and yea destroying a specific item seems like its not going to happen. How about this. What I'm trying to do is give an ability that destroys and item and applies a permanent buff to you instead. Could I maybe do it in a different way then a spell. How about it gives them a crafting recipe when they get the skill. And this recipe requires the specific items I'm trying to destroy. Then the item it gives you for crafting the recipe is a consumable that when used applies a permanent buff. Would this work?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

You can't really make a permanent buff.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Really? I've seen plenty of mods with permanent buffs. Like any stance like Plutonic Fists or something like that.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

A stance can be removed. There's no way to make a permanent buff.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Ok but they can just be removed by the player hitting the x on them right? Or are there monsters that can remove stances. If thats the case how about if I just make the end crafted item go into the sleeve item slot and just give it all the buffs I would have put on the stance.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Permanent buffs can be made simply by not making them removable along with no timer or other end conditions. So yeah you can I just chose to make plutonic fist removable because it debuffs you.

Kazeto, OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  11. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Ah alright thanks for the tips. I think I got my skill mod all done just gotta test it to see if it works. Wish me luck.

*Edit* Ok everything works great except one problem. The recipe I want to give the player at the final stage of my skill requires 6 items so I broke it down into 3 recipes. 2 recipes to break the 6 items down into 2 items that are used in the final 3rd recipe. My question is can I only give the player 1 recipe on skill up? Because I can't seem to get this last skill to work.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

There's a trick for that. Look at this thread.

It works yes.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

I found a workaround for me. I just hand out the recipes on the last 3 skills instead of all on the last one. The only problem I have left is getting the final crafted item that is a sleeve to actually give the stats on it. I guess maybe sleeves can't have stats? But I thought i saw wizard sleeves with stats so I don't know.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Maybe show the code.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Well here's the code for the item. It all displays on the item no problem in game. All the stats are showing and its a sleeve just fine. But when I actually click it and it disappears none of the stats are gained.

<item name="One with the Armour" iconFile="items/armour_serpentine_plate.png" craftoutput="1">
    <price amount="10"/>
    <armour type="sleeve"/>
    <primarybuff id="2" amount="3"/>
    <secondarybuff id="7" amount="4"/>
    <primarybuff id="0" amount="3"/>
    <secondarybuff id="2" amount="2"/>
    <primarybuff id="1" amount="3"/>
    <secondarybuff id="3" amount="4"/>
    <primarybuff id="3" amount="3"/>
    <secondarybuff id="0" amount="8"/>
    <primarybuff id="5" amount="3"/>
    <secondarybuff id="1" amount="8"/>
    <primarybuff id="4" amount="3"/>
    <secondarybuff id="11" amount="4"/>
    <secondarybuff id="10" amount="15"/>
    <secondarybuff id="7" amount="30"/>
    <description text="This is it. My most AMAZING WORK YET! I'm not sure one body can contain this much AMAZING!"/>
    </item>

My only guess is maybe sleeve stats are coded completely different then normal armour? I'm gonna go look at the code for the wizard sleeve and see what I come up with.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sleeves are not equitable. Make it a normal armor type and it should work.

Kazeto likes this.
  17. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Well the wiki seemed to imply otherwise:

However using right click as you would to equip an item still removes the sleeve from ones inventory, the first sleeve found in game will have no stats and as a result will not make any difference once 'equipped' in this manner. If you equip a wizards sleeve and then find a second one then the second will have varying stats and using right click to equip this will permanently add these stats to your character.

I went and looked at the sleeves stats in the game and there are some different things on it but I don't know if any would help me. This is the wizard sleeve stats in the game:

<item name="The Wizard's Sleeve" iconFile="items/wizards_sleeve.png" artifact="1">
    <price amount="1337"/>
    <armour level="8" type="sleeve"/>
    <artifact quality="10"/>
    <description text="The mystical powers of the Wizard's Sleeve are many. If only you had a slot for sleeves on your character sheet."/>
    </item>

Would the fact that it's an artifact be what the problem is? Do artifact stats act differently then normal stats?

All I was really trying to do is turn a bunch of different items into 1 item that wouldn't take up room on your character.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

It is an artifact with quality 10. That explains the different stats.

Also, that text on the wiki was written some time ago, might be outdated. I have no idea why you'd need to use a sleeve.

----

Oh and also, "permanent" buffs don't exist. If you reload a save file with stances or buffs or anything, they are gone.

19. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Boo I'm so sad right now I had everything working great then all of a sudden I can't get the skill to show up in the skill list and I have no idea what I did to cause that. All this work and now it's all useless. Sad times =(. Only problem I still had was for some reason the item I have as a starting loadout item can't be used in crafting and I need it to be. I found the same problem when playing with the runecaster mod so I assume its some flaw in the game where loadout items are uncraftable with.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

You can cry whatever you want. It doesn't solve the problem.

Hint: Give us the code.