My tale is done, Dredmor is No more

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by darkcrab, Jul 22, 2011.

1. darkcrab

darkcrab Member

Well over twenty hours playtime....13 of those straight today I finished my quest. I swore I would use my entire day off to Kill his minions, avoid his dwarven traps, and go without losing my gear to those awful Corruption monsters. And in the end I slew Lord Dredmore, On Going Rogue...with Perma Death.

http://imgur.com/YTwPH

Sadly my excitement got the better of me, and I didnt SC the killing blow, but there is the happy achievement...and i promise I didnt use any cheats or exploits..like ive heard so much about >.>. Well onto the build! Before its asked i went for a more mage build

Astrology
    Vamprisim
    Archaeology
    Blood Magic
    Promethian Magic
    Unarmed
    Magic Training

Details for build...and were I put levels into!

1 Vampirisim: Get the second skill from this to become more stable than leave it alone.

Unarmed: honestly i didnt put a single point into it..Got it for two shields and I got Ungodly lucky on an evil chest on floor 2 and scored a 9 star Sword that lasted me until I got two shields. Even than i wouldnt really put points into it... MAYBE one for the pushback skill if you wanna copy this build

3 Promethian: By now most folks know this..the first skill is garbage...but the rest..oh god. The Exploding rune..with even 39 Magic power ( did gear swapping to check damage) was killing arch diggles on floor 10 with 2...three tops, especially useful in narrow hallways/groups.

The pet: This pet has saved me so many times...if you open a door and theres a nasty pop right in front of you?...place the pet and itll draw aggro 99% of the time. Need HP, Summon it after battle and beat it to death! nasty trap you dont want (ACID), let him take it for you. You get this...you love it

The rest of the spells are awesome to..fireball does immense damage, the tactical pyre i never used..but the last skill is good in a pinch

4 Astrology: First Skill is an awesome buff..second still is a trap like Exploding rune that STUNS...stops a nasty baddy cold. The next is a Stun AOE that goes off around you...decent if surrounded, but the real meat is the next two skills, two awesome buffs. They cost mp every 5 turns but just buy some extra booze at the vending machines or get lucky and stack MP regen and its sooo worth it. If both are undoable immediatly, just save them for an upcoming tough battle.

5. Magic Training: Extra Mana/magic power and sagliness? maybe not the BEST tree, but the beggining boost to mana really helped low levels

6. Blood: Get it...max it

7. Archaeology, eh to be honest I leveled it to max, but I never got into the spam space bar crap, Would remove it for artful dodger and broken Knightly Leap.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Cont next post

2. darkcrab

darkcrab Member

3. darkcrab

darkcrab Member

What to Level and When

Ok...lets get started, first let it be known that I cleared every inch of every floor for EXP and items, i suggest doing the same.

First level MUST be vampiric blood draining skill, no question. With that and the buff from Astrology, and a tad bit of luck on basic loot drops you can last the first two floors easily, allowing you to start leveling up for magic.

After that I went three points into Promethian, up to obvious fireball, even if you didnt find all ideal magic gear by now...the spells will be enough to clear mobs with a little rune bait(lead em into hallways etc).

After that I got Blood magic and Magic training to max..this boosted both my magic power, mana and sagliness up, powering up with it vampirism and my fire spells, as well as now allowing me to drain mana from dead enemies.

After this, I power level AStrology up to the second skill before the last, the buffs can save you in a tight spot, are toggle able and the stun run can help.

After that i leveled Archaeology...wishing i had better skills as the whole reroll wasnt worth the effort, so i maxed out Promethian

Next Post is Tips and tricks on surviving THis dreadful task

4. darkcrab

darkcrab Member

TIPS N TRICKS

Ok Rule one: Learn what mushrooms help and hurt you, and save at least one of every mishroom and potion for the final battle with dredmore, stacking all of it up at once will give you the defenses needed to survive, but figure out which ones wont hurt you.

2. Get a good crossbow, and save any bolts/throwing items that are prolly seven to ten stars for Dredmore or emergencies, while using lower level ones on the floors leading up to him

3. As I said in the second post, it may get a tad tedious but clear every inch of every floor for experiance.

4. If your wounded and cant risk a fight, summon your pet and beat it to death, really helps in the last floor.

5. Multiple sets of gear....If you find good armor that..though the magic stinks it adds great defense and resilience, keep it! If enemies survive your magical onslaught..or you run out of Magic you can swap it out to protect yourself.

6. Never..EVER Use your fire spells near brax..if he goes aggro you may as well reroll..lost so many times to that ;_:.

I hope this helps...ill be around so if anyone has any questions, do ask :p.

As Per my killing shot...following my own advice, once I saw him, and thankfully he didnt chase me down I walked off and drank all mymighty potions and shrooms, than upon seeing him I summoned my pet to distract him for a turn, allowing me to lay a stun trap. He hit it, and got stunned.

At this point it became fire every spell/bolt of mass dest/squid bolt I had...and he crumbled before even casting a spell at me. Again...quaffing all those shrooms and potions greatly enchanced my stats, so hoard em!

Well...i feel good >.>

5. wow, congrats on your victory :D I'll give a try to your build and see where it takes me, thanks for taking the time to write all this

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Nice. So what are you going to play for your next build? -- N.

Exile likes this.
  7. whoopsiedaisy

whoopsiedaisy Member

Is it coincidence that all the winning builds I've seen so far are heavily magic-oriented?

8. Promethean is the culprit mostly. Other magic skills are more support-ish and Necro is too suicidal. Maybe in the future we will get other offensive skills like Electromagnetism with lightning/magnetic powers or some ice/water magic or who knows what crazy things the devs will come up when the bugs are mostly fixed and actual content balanced.

9. Lavastar

Lavastar Member

@whoopsiedaisy
    Well, I've only beaten Lord Dredmor once on Elves mode so far, but here's a simple, mostly melee strategy I used. I had Swords, Dual Wielding, Berserk, Vampirism, Psionics, Blood Magic, and Archaeology. My main damage comes from the swords, with support from various Psionics spells, every one of them useful, except the last one, Unconditional Love (the charmed monster just walks around and doesn't help you fight). Anyway, for beating Lord Dredmor, I only used Nerve Staple, the Psionics lv4 spell, which always stuns for 2 turns. Just Nerve Staple, hit, hit, and repeat for about 4 cycles. It beats Lord Dremdmor like any other chump. No need for any fancy bolts and wands and mushrooms and potions and whatnot. :/

10. whoopsiedaisy

whoopsiedaisy Member

@Lavastar
    I'm having a hard time on Elves without Permadeath. :p
    I've got something like Swords, Assasination, Promethean, smithing, the dodge thingy, Deadshot... I didn't think Psionics would be useful, based on my noobish assumption that it would be useless (because last time I checked the 'cheevos, almost nobody had mastered it.)
    I am trying a Promethean mage out. Battles are usually easy, but mana is a precious resource.

11. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

@whoopsiedaisy I beat Dredmor without taking any offensive abilities
    http://www.gaslampgames.com/forum/discussion/437/stealth-run-awesome-challege

12. kbe

kbe Member

My best tip is watch out for Dredmor, he can cast now and it's deadly does damage every turn and it can be stacked (think it was Arctic Vortex or so wiki says) so if you get hit twice with it kiss your character goodbye. I got super lucky having beaten him before when he couldn't cast I wasn't expecting that so I went in guns blazing with all my best range stuff and two turns later I'm at like 4HP or something because he stacked that vortex on me, had a stack of HP potions and a Potion of Purity though which saved me. This was only on Dwarvish too I'd hate to get hit with that on Rogue, though that's what I have planned for my next run at least this time I'll know what to expect.

13. darkcrab

darkcrab Member

As I Said, WIth dredmore I got extremely lucky that he didnt give chase (thank god for Radiant aura giving me extra sight radius or I mayve stumbled to close. That let me stack ALL my buffing mushrooms and potions, and lay down that vital pet/stun trap. Had he gotten the jump on me, I mayve died that day.

As per magic orientated builds....to be honest I blame Promethian and the fact that Vampirism is based off Magic power, if Vamprisim was either based of Physical, or somehow changed to ramp up on both ( albeit a tad bit slower) Id suspect melee would get a better shake.

Still, thanks for the congrats, havent felt so good in completing a game in a damn long time.

14. darkcrab

darkcrab Member

Next build Nicholas? I dunno I may wait a tad, wait for the first content/rebalancing patch. As it stands Magic builds are just so much better in my eyes due to easy spell blasting/vamp. I never could have cleared zoo's etc the way I did without promethian n stuff.

But i dunno...maybe some kinda golemancy/promethian build..only taking promethian up to the pet to add another minion.

15. Countmore

Countmore Member

There's no point in getting two minion spells, you can have only one minion of ANY type out at one time.

16. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Countmore Adding the ability to have more than one pet out at once is on the laundry list of changes for the upcoming patch. If Darkcrab waits for the next patch as he stated, then such a feature might exist at that point.

17. Countmore

Countmore Member

I rolled a character with Golemancy, Fleshsmithing, Psionics, Promethean Magic and Fungal Arts and named him 'Manymore'. I was so sad to see my mustache golem make my slime-shroom go poof.

But yay for future minion-master builds!