Windows XP Multiple objects spawn on the same tile

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by banjo2E, Mar 25, 2012.

1. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I've noticed a tendency for randomly generated item placement to put more than one thing on the same tile. This isn't a good thing; the best case scenario is that the player gets two items for the price of one (except there's always empty tiles nearby where the doubled-up item could've been instead), but it's much more common to see, say, a pear trapped under a candelabra and made unobtainable as the game thinks you're activating the prop instead of picking up the item.

But you know what the worst case scenario is? Well...

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's a teleporter trapped under that monolith. Now, you can still go to that teleporter iven that I've had at least one occasion where there was a room, or rooms, inaccessible except by using a teleporter, this could block off an entire portion of the dungeon. If this happens on floor ten, and Dredmor's in an area like that, and the teleporter's blocked by a prop, the game becomes unwinnable. Granted, that's not especially likely, but there's people who've gotten time lord scarves on level two.

Also, I just got a double level five minutes ago from killing two things with the same Rune of Exploding. I'd actually like to request that you don't fix this one; I've nuked plenty of monster houses before without getting a double level, so there's enough random chance involved here that it can't break the game. In fact, you could make it an achievement to level two times within two minutes, or some such.

Lastly, an amusing graphical glitch: Levers that teleport you don't teleport you until after monsters have had their turn. Therefore, it's possible to die and then be teleported. If you do, you start playing the death animation on an endless loop once you arrive at your destination.

I should probably mention that I'm using 1.09 R2 for all of this, so it's likely you've touched at least some of this stuff since then.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the report. Most of these are old bugs (and somewhat low priority) but we're working on resolving the double level up thing (unfortunately :p.)

The rest of the bugs are in the to-do list.

3. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Actually, it's impossible for a room to spawn in a way that it can only be reached by a teleporter. Rooms are laid out door-by-door, and there must be an unbroken chain of doors between any room that spawns and the first room to spawn on that floor.

There are however some rooms in certain mods (I see you're using my Interior Dredmorating, for example) that _look_ like they have fewer exits than they actually do. If you play around with area-affect spells or thrown bombs, you'll find there are other ways through and around those rooms. Most such rooms have some sort of clue built into them, which may give you an indication, if you look closely and read carefully, that there's something special about a particular part of the wall.

Other variations on this involve rooms (or parts of rooms) that are sealed off by bars or other blockers, or water, and thus can be accessed via one or more teleport or knockback skills. (In ID, for example, I tried to spread the love around between a variety of skills). That such areas might also be accessible via the satanic displacement glyphs is just a happy coincidence. So a monolith blocking a teleporter spot should just about never actually seal an area off, even if you don't have a Digging Ray or The Mighty Auger.

When I was adding such subtle rooms to ID, I made sure not to include any on level 10, so that Lord Dredmor himself would never end up trapped behind a wall.

Not that that in any way invalidates your bug report. I've had plenty of times myself where a monolith was sitting right on top of a potion I wanted. I wasn't trying to contradict you, I was just trying to help since my mod was probably the source of your thinking that some parts of the dungeon were inaccessible. Apparently, at least one of my destructible walls rooms is more subtle than I realize.