More non-mutually exclusive warrior abilities

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bohandas, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

While the game has plenty of warrior skill trees it has a bit of a dearth of possible pure or nearly pure warrior builds because most of the warrior skills are weapon skills and effectively mutually-exclusive in practice. If you do an0ther expansion I'd like to see more warrior skills.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I was just thinking the same thing. Outside of weapon skills (which I'm counting Dual Wielding as one of), warriors get:

Master of Arms
    Shield Bearer
    Geology
    Clockwork Knight
    Communism

and will get Throwing assuming GLG accepts that part of the alpha skills.

That's not even enough to build a complete character. I'm reconsidering making Deadshot a Rogue skill; perhaps it should be for Warriors. Dunno. Either way, Warriors need more non-equipment-based skills. Obviously the next DLC should be another YHTNTEP and should include Bushido. ;P

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

And what's more, at least two of those aren't obviously warriors from a thematic standpoint. Thematically the communist would have worked just as well as a rogue and the Geologist would work just as well as a wizard.

In addition to more warriors in general, we especially need more warriors that are obviously warriors.

IIRC smithing is classed as a warrior skill too.

Dual wielding doesn't really fall into the mutual exclusiveness that I was talking about though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

Smithing. Right. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Wolg

Wolg Member

Berserker...?

Arron Syaoran and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I propose a skill that focuses entirely on block puzzles. You know, those RPG puzzles where all you do is shove blocks around. According to Karn warriors really love them.

Also, you've both forgotten Big Game Hunter and Killer Vegan (which, to be fair, are kind of mutually exclusive and not obviously warrior skills,) and Berserk Rage, which is about as Warrior as you can get. Also, I believe the original Deadshot was a Warrior skill, so there's some precedent for putting that there.

Of course, part of the problem here is the focus on warriors as people who fight with in such and such a way, as opposed to warriors who have a philosophy of punching people they don't like in the face. Communism was a good example of the latter, while most other warrior skills are examples of the former.

Inconsequentia's Templar might be a possible theme to look at for new warrior skills, as would Head Hunter (the warrior who gets money for killing things with heads!) or some similar Mercenary type class.

[/thoughts]

EDIT: Ninja!

Kazeto, OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  7. Wootah

Wootah Member

Guys, guys. The thing is that you can make the same argument for the Blood Magic or Leylines with caster trees.

But What I want to say is that Big game Hunter and Vegan are also great warrior skills. And if There a few more trap sight skills you could build kick ass warriors without ever touching wizard or rogue skills. Plus when you get skills like warlockery or perception that work great with warriors, It isn't so bad.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I've gotta tell you, I lied a bit in my original post. I also want more warrior skills for rounding out non-warrior builds.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Warriors can just walk on traps treiggering them, and then shrug away the "damage" they taked seconds away.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I was more worried about the second half of the quoted sentence sentence, but didn't want to cut it to a fragment

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

"Ass Warriors"? Or "Touching Wizard"? :p (I am childish. I know.)

12. Essence

Omni, my day has only just barely begun and you have already made it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Member

So what are some good warrior skill mods then?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Essence

Excluding CES, there's Paladinner, Swiftstriker, Tactics, and Dire Gourmand offhand. Ive enjoyed all those. Ooh, and Elemental Warrior, too.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Well, warrior is probably the most boring archetype. I mean, even in the core game, most warrior skilltrees are for specific weapons.

Also, since when is Vegan a warrior skilltree. Just like BGH, it's a very specific approach to fighting. Rogues can have skilltrees for pretty much anything that involves sneakiness, and mages just can have any skilltree (watery fire magic, thundery plant magic whatever).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Essence

This is why I advocate for Warrior skilltrees based on Asian mythos. Those damned Asian warriors can do basically anything they damn well please with a sword as long as they call it by some sort of martial arts-y name. "Nine-tailed Fox...Blade!" "Tsunami Overrun Celestial Pulverizing Surround...Staff!"

It's not that the idiom isn't out there -- is that for some reason everyone secretly wants Warriors to be "those guys that win despite being bound by the laws of physics", when that's quintessentially stupid. No one blinks when you suggest that a high-enough level Wizard should be able to survive nuclear winter due to having a phylactery made from his own big toe hidden under Dyer's Rock, but when you suggest that a high-enough level Warrior should be able to shoot a longbow through an SR-71 Blackbird despite, you know, being dozens of miles up in the air, moving at the speed of sound, and invisible, they just absolutely flip their shit.

It's sad.

Createx, Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  17. mining

mining Member

Welcome to Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords. I'll totally put together a mod like that the next time I get chance. It'd be fun - juggling stuff in an attempt to get as many skills and abilities as possible into one tree.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Member

I've always seen BGH as more of a rogue skill tree, scaling to EDR, giving extra sneak, sight, and EDR, and agroing monsters one at a time. It just seems tailor made to use with Archery.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Tortured Phoenix Disabuses the Unworthy !

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  20. Essence

What ever happened to that game/thread, anyway?

OmniaNigrum likes this.