Modding Reference - text.xml?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tojosan, Jan 6, 2014.

1. tojosan

tojosan Member

Is there a modding reference for text addition/replacement?
    I did a forum search and no go and didn't see one on the wiki.
    Thanks!

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If there isn't, it's mostly straight-forward depending on what you want to modify. If there's anything specific, feel free to ask.

3. tojosan

tojosan Member

Thanks for the offer.
    Believe it or not, I'm happier with an actual XSD for the XML layouts.
    I might just take a stab and see what works. Lots of examples out there.

4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Here's some stuff I've gleaned:

"title text" seems to be mainly for the names associated with quest items, artifacts, unique monsters and titles given to the player on the death screen

"verb text" is used on the death screen. Usually there will be an epitaph like '{S}he [verb]ed like a [noun]". It may be used elsewhere but I don't know where.

"noun text" is used on the death screen, in item names and in room names and room generation.Also, when applicable, Images in the "floor" argument will appear as passable blockers on the floor of rooms with that noun in their name (at the spaces marked as "^" in the room's definition in rooms.xml), images in the "statue" argument will appear as non-passable blockers on the floor of rooms with that noun in their name (at the spaces marked as "@" in the room's definition in rooms.xml), images in the "painiting" argument will appear as non-passable blockers in the walls of rooms with that noun in their name (at the spaces marked as "P" in the room's definition in rooms.xml)

"architecture text" is used in room names

"startPhoneme text" is used at the beginning of gibberish artifact, boss, etc. names

"phoneme text" is used in the middle and end of gibberish names

"adjective text" is used in room names and possibly elsewhere but I don't know where

"ichor text" is used in the ticker in the notifications that you have killed a monster

"insult text" will appear above the heads of monsters

"random text" will sporadically appear in the ticker

"quality text" is used in the extra lines appended to the descriptions of artifacts, where it is used to modify "material text" and.or "decor text"

bluehinter and tojosan like this.
  5. tojosan

tojosan Member

Very informative!
    Thank you Bohandas!

6. bluehinter

bluehinter Member

One other important note with nouns and statues, make sure you aren't duplicating one that's already in use in the game or one of the expansion packs.
    For example, if you use: <noun text="Skull" plural="Skulls" statue="dungeon/statue_skull.png" />
    Then when the game randomly spawns a room (say, The Laserium of Skulls) then you'll see your skull statue overlapping one of the game's built in skull piles.

Unfortunately, you also get the same effect with other mods, but there's only so much you can do about that. (For my Monstrous Megapack, I deliberately went through and tried to eliminate any overlap with the expansion packs and Interior Dredmorating, which is a popular mod with lots of items and statues, but that's about the extent of my cross-checking.)

tojosan likes this.
  7. tojosan

tojosan Member

Excellent heads up! I was hoping to name things appropriately but can easily see how this would be tough to avoid.

8. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Does anyone know if you can use multiple statue parameters in a <noun>?