Mod list population while steam offline

Discussion in 'Modding' started by iamcreasy, Aug 7, 2012.

1. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

What can't DoD populate the mod list while steam is offline? It should be able to enlist those mods that has been downloaded already? right?

2. Because Steam re-downloads them every time you start the game. Stupid, huh? :p

3. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

So, if its a 500mb mod, the steam re-download it every time the game launches? :confused:

Is it possible for the developers to add this feature, to stop DoD/steam download mods every time the list tried to populate....

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Run the game from the dungeons of dredmor.exe with Steam closed, and it should see your mods.

5. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

No, the list remains empty. Its say,

Steam workshop : Disabled

6. Daynab

Well, you could move all the subscribed mods to the /mods folder instead of the /steam_workshop/subscribed folder.
    Only thing is you won't have automatic updates if the mods are updated.

7. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

Yes that works.

One more question, what if I have identical mod, one individually downloaded and another one copied from steam_workshop folder, both enabled at the same time. For example, here I enabled Electromancy mod(s)

I get the following result,
    [​IMG]

8. Frelus

Frelus Member

Things tend to proc one time for every mod active.
    Example:
    I had 2 copies of FaxPax, and Avenging Executioners 1st ability always procced double, shredding whatever I hit (if I critted).
    I also started with 2 times the razor sword.

9. Thing is, hon, when I looked in my steam_workshop\subscribed\ folder, I didn't see mods as we know them. I saw a bunch of .dat files, which I assume are supposed to tell Steam which mod to re-download every time you start it. I even tried looking in various Dredmor-related folders both while the launcher was up and while the game itself was running in an attempt to find out where Steam puts our mods temporarily, and I couldn't find it.

10. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

Are you sure this is steam? It looks like its DoD that is synchronizing with steam server every time the mod list is being populated. If it was steam then mod of every game would have to be re-downloaded every time something mod related stuff fired up. right?

11. Daynab

The .dat files are the actual mods, all you need to do is move them all to the mods folder and the launcher will detect them as mods.

As iamcreasy said it sounds like a Cloud issue because it's not supposed to redownload them all, only if they don't match. If you want to try something to fix it, put "-nukesteamcloud" in the steam launch options and see if it makes it any better.

12. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

-nukesteamcloud :confused:

This would affect all the games on steam...and this is something I don't want to do. Anyway, this is no biggy, mods are small, and I don't mind wait a while, when the work around is not easy enough.

13. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

So, I could have one spell as many times as I wish! :eek:

14. Wolg

Wolg Member

-nukesteamcloud only removes what DoD has put there. Other Steam games will be unaffected.

15. Daynab

It's only for DoD's launch option.

16. Frelus

Frelus Member

I guess there are two options:
    1: It costs the mana for 1 time casting, you see one missile (or effect), you see the name of the effect and it's damage as often as you have the mod installed
    or 2: You see one missile/effect for every time the mod is installed, it costs the manacost x number the mod is installed, and still has the effect x modnumber.
    I would bet number 1 is more accurate, though, because it seems to make more sense.