Make reading of modded text.xml more random

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by swizard, Jun 27, 2012.

1. swizard

swizard Member

My request is this: make it so that the text.mdl you make don't get said from top to bottom (as it is currently happening) but a lot more random (so that any line from that file can be pulled at any time). For example on the 1000 quote file, you will hardly ever see past the 100+ mark, let alone past the 500+ mark as the code currently chooses taunts.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Is this the way it works? We just made a massive taunts mod that has nearly 2k monster insults... :(

3. swizard

swizard Member

I know mate, I'm also posting for you guys! But yea, from what I've seen with my own 100 line mod, only the first few tended to show up, playtesting for well over two hours with increased speed, and focusing on hearing monsters talk (by being invisible and having them behind a fence while macro spamming space bar)

Essence likes this.
  4. swizard

swizard Member

could I get an reaction on this, please?

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Assuming this is the case, it will require a rewrite of the executable. I can assure you they are not ignoring this. But beyond that I have no idea if it will make it to the next patch or not.

6. Catbread

Catbread Member

I... I'm crushed.

Well.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

And now, off to drown my sorrows in Team Fortress

7. swizard

swizard Member

8. Catbread

Catbread Member

No need. The problem with my file was an accented character, which prevented most of the taunts from playing correctly. It's fixed now, and seems to be working just fine.

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Confirmed, I saw one of my taunts earlier today in fact.

Catbread and OmniNegro like this.
  10. swizard

swizard Member

Have you also witnessed later taunts being said? (If so, what accented character did you remove for future reference)

11. Catbread

Catbread Member

Taunts submitted by not-me people, like banjo2E, are at the very bottom of the list, so that definitely qualifies.
    Also, I spent some time recording the taunts that played, and got results from all across the list.

The accented character was the "o" with the line over it. In general, don't use any accents at all.