Magic Missile - Wrath of the Beige Warlock

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shaxarok, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

So I've been muddling through this.

According to both Fax and Null, oncast buffs can't be checked for by the spell that caused them - they are created and resolve after the spell has resolved, so I can't do the zero turn buffs that were discussed earlier.

This doesn't leave me a lot of options for the level scaling, all of the ones I can think of kind-of suck.

Options that I have found:

A: Have a series of on-cast buffs shuffle through each other to find the highest tier buff after casting a spell, which will be the only one left. Every single time. On the plus side, this will keep it to one buff, and minimize player involvement in the process (no involvement). On the downside, I'm not sure how to make sure it doesn't paradox itself (I guess I'd have to include checks for the lower level buffs as well?). If someone can provide a working demo, I'll definitely do this.

B: On-cast buffs coexist, so the player has five buffs or so on the sidebar by max level. Annoying as hell.

C: Provide spells the player can cast to manually activate the new buff tier. Player involvement: A ridiculous amount.

D: Just make Magic Missile ; Magic Missile 2.0; Magic Missile v3; Magic Missile: IV; Level Five Magic Missile; Maximum Magic Missile. Kind of a pain to have obviously obviated spells floating around in your spellbook.

E: Do something not exactly in the originally intended spirit, such as it only vamping up at max level, or requiring "modes" to get better versions; e.g. can do Knockback Mode to give all Magic Missile spells (Magic Missile, Magic Barrage, Magic Laser, Magic Shield) knockback when they're cast.

F: Call it off and hope for a way to track skill levels with spell triggers or some such to be added.

2. mining

mining Member

I'm looking into this shortly to see if there's a way to cheat the system somehow. Expect results positive or negative within the week.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Use option A or D. Depending on weather you want random damage types or not.
    (I do not know how to do option A, but you know how to do option D.)