1.0 libsteam_api.so Missing & libopenal.so.1

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by ctempleton3, Nov 14, 2016.

1. ctempleton3

ctempleton3 Member

I am running Debian 8 with steam. When I try to run the downloaded game in steam I get the error message:

Failed to start game (missing executable)
    See the Steam support site for more info​

This site says to verify the game cache. I did this tried running again in Steam and I get the same error message. So being the good linux user I am I try to run it from the command line. I get the following message:

./ClockworkEmpires-amd64: error while loading shared libraries: libsteam_api.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory​

So I search for this on the Internet. Looks like I have to copy the library from another game. So I pull the x86_64 libsteam_api.so library from Rimworld and copy it into the game folder and try to start the game again from inside of steam. I get the error:

Failed to start game (missing executable)
    See the Steam support site for more info​

So I go back and try to runn it from teh command line and boom I get the screen configuration dialog. I pick any size here and press start game and the game closes out. The command line interface says the following:

Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.
    Trace/breakpoint trap​

So back to the Internet. I create a desktop shorcut pull the steam app id from it and create the steam_appid.txt file as requested. I rerun from the command line. I get the screen configuration dialog again. I pick any size here and press start game and the game closes out. The Command line interface says the following. I am redacting the numbers from this as I don't know if it has something specific that I shouldn't share.

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = ######
    Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: ################# [API loaded no]
    Trace/breakpoint trap
    Back to the internet. A website for another game with this No API loaded call suggests running with elevated privileges. So I run as sudo. I get the following error.

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.​

So I see a suggestion on line to run strace to see if a library is missing. Here is the output of the strace:

poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 1, 4294967295) = 1 ([{fd=3, revents=POLLIN}])
    recvmsg(3, {msg_name(0)=NULL, msg_iov(1)=[{"\1\0\370\3\2\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 4096}], msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, 0) = 32
    recvfrom(3, 0x43a9c20, 8, 0, 0, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 1, 4294967295) = 1 ([{fd=3, revents=POLLIN}])
    recvfrom(3, "\0\0\0\0\240\5\204\3", 8, 0, NULL, NULL) = 8
    recvmsg(3, 0x7fff48264080, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    open("./libopenal.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    write(6, "[MISC] CRITICAL ERROR: unable to"..., 165) = 165
    --- SIGTRAP {si_signo=SIGTRAP, si_code=SI_KERNEL} ---
    +++ killed by SIGTRAP +++
    Trace/breakpoint trap​

So I sudo apt-get install libopenal1. It is already installed. So I try apt-get install libopenal1:i386. It installs a whole bunch of packages. I try reruning and I get the same strace. What do I do now?

The way I look at it at a minimum you are not providing the libsteam_api.so. Please patch to include this library. Also, please help me figure out what to do next with the libopenal.so.1.

Exile likes this.
  2. ctempleton3

ctempleton3 Member

Exile likes this.
  3. Wolg

Wolg Member

Exile likes this.
  4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yep, the Linux build is a build I put up while internally testing. So it's... well, old. Working on it, though!

Exile likes this.