Let's Talk About Exploitation

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Vordrak, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

Hu,

So I love this game and each Build gets better and better. One entertaining theme in this game is colonial imperialism. One thing that must not be neglected is putting Johnny Fishman in his place.

It is clear that the Fishmen are savages who need to be Taught a Lesson.

I would like to see structures that make use of Fishperson labour and ... formalise ... the current caviar and fish steak industries. Fishperson labour could be an alternative to steam in some cases.

I am thinking holding pens, a 'push-power' module with chained fish-people made to push a turning post. Gears could then convert this into mechanical power. Finally, there would be an Imperial Fish Steak and caviar production farm for old, troublesome or unproductive Fishies.

Similar devices may be useful for the enlightenment and betterment of REDACTED native creatures.

zetjester likes this.
  2. Marc HC

Marc HC Member

They already said they wouldn't include slavery.

3. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

It's not slavery because it's fishmen! Simples! :)

4. Susanne C

Susanne C Member

Just do what the history writers of the British Empire did to the Irish; they simply called them indentured servants instead of slaves - sounds so much better.
    Pauper apprentice also sounds so much more civilised than; property of the factory owner.

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

We're not adding slavery to the game and that's not subject to change.

There may exist a possible game that handles the subject in a sophisticated manner with a delicate balance (and contrast) between subject matter and authorial voice/intent, but we're not in a place to be able to struggle with those artistic considerations right now with CE. And we've made a conscious decision not to touch this one anyway, which, as said, is not subject to change.

Xyvik and KillerKidClever like this.
  6. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

Ok. Well, there are always mods ...

7. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

So you aren't even willing to use Fishmen, Shoggoths, Bigfoot, The Tentacled Beasts that Inhabit the Crater, or Diggles or some other thing as a proxy, here?

What about prisoners, and assimilation? Some societies have used assimilation as an alternative to slavery as a way to avoid killing their enemies, including, to my understanding, the British empire.

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Using proxies is risky because it seems to say like "Fishpeople are literally (this historical group of natives that was colonized)" and, you know, monstrous and animalistic. Which is sort of what heavy-handed Victorian racism was kinda all about.

We need to make Fishpeople their own thing that's clearly not a vague stand-in for a human culture wearing fish-masks. The caviar is just the very start of that - and, I think, makes the society the player represents the monster a bit which I think is lovely dark irony - and as we are able to flesh things out more we want to make Fishpeople a lot more weird by breaking the rules and expectations of human cultures. They are eldritch creatures, after all.

I think we're more open to this angle. I shall say, we want to be careful in terms of authorial voice and mechanics so that our game isn't "delightful prison camp simulator" but more "we are portraying a society that references the British Empire and colonialism and lots of messed up stuff, and we think its kinda messed up too." I think this can be done without either whitewashing or getting preachy about it.

Tangent?, portrayal of exploitation in other games:
    Remember how in Age of Wonders you could "migrate" your race to re-settle conquered cities? It was ... kinda sorta totally genocidal. But there was not much in the way of consequences, just that race liked you less but you were getting rid of them anyway. It was like here's a game mechanic, just do it or not then get back to casting spells and moving elves around.

Or, say, some entries in the Civilization series where you could work slaves to death. Like all Civ games, it was very gamey rather than simulationist. IIRC I think the tradeoff was unhappiness for some time and it was not very representational. I think they were going more for a Charlton Heston Ten Commandments building the pyramids sort of thing rather than portraying chattel slavery.

Paradox's EU series DOES have slaves as a "resource" that is traded. The price goes up as more sugar and cotton provinces are colonized. Colonization era chattel slavery is clearly there, but super abstracted.

Then there's conquering planets in Master of Orion 2 and being given the option to exterminate every single alien. That's like a sci-fi Final Solution which, wow. I remember feeling how messed up that was back when I was a kid playing the game. (And you had all these aliens in little yellow uniforms and chains, just waiting for their fate! Man.)

The difference is these games made their exploitation abstracted and gamey. Genocide was a button-click, slavery was an icon and a few numbers in a spreadsheet. Something about the banality of evil here. In CE we're portraying each individual with memories and feelings and names and faces. This makes the portrayal of everything, I think, more powerful, more difficult -- and riskier.

We're edging on lots of difficult topics with CE with the weight of history and contemporary politics behind them. There are a lot of fine lines we are balancing on, and though I believe we can portray a subject without condoning it, we have an artistic responsibility to be careful about how we do it.

(Uh, sorry for the essay.)

Jacq, Marak, Viion and 1 other person like this.
  9. Susanne C

Susanne C Member

Just call them work education camps. Bring those heathen fish people in to the good church of Cog for salvation and learn them the principles of Blut und Boden.

And the backbones of good colony farming indentured servants. They all are aren't they? no salary as I can see. Let’s pay those lazy colonists by the hour. Perhaps they work the soil instead of chatting.
    You don’t work, you don’t eat.
    And give the soldiers som grog.

10. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Oh absolutely. If you were to enslave/accept as immigrants/capture eldritch creatures, there should be some interesting consequences. I guess it is hard to think of what they should be other than colonists going mad and worshipping these things. It would be a risky endeavour where it's not clear who is actually in control. Some of these may just parallel human societies (like accepting outcasts opens you up to attack from the society that cast them out) but there can certainly be more creative interpretations as to what happens. Like the construction of ominous temples, the advancement of sea levels, humans occassionally going missing in the middle of the night. Either way we'd want to be talking more about shoggoths than humans.

11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There's a kind of a tight rope that you have to walk in order to deal with native populations as a resource, while not also treating them as non-human (because if you can draw a parallel between actual slaves and fish people, it can be in extraordinary bad taste). The fact that CE is supposed to be humorous and fun makes it worse, not better. I'm not saying that it would be impossible, but you'd have to shift the focus of the game quite a bit, and it would still wind up being a balancing act.

I recommend a game like "Expeditions: Conquistador", as it does treat the natives both as real people, and as an exploitable resource. It gives you a choice as to how to treat the natives, and there are consequences, regardless. But it's not intended to be tongue in cheek, and really, it's a significant part of the focus of the game. It's a game ABOUT moral choices and consequences (as opposed to CE, which is intended to be something very different).

Xyvik likes this.
  12. Susanne C

Susanne C Member

Slaves aside.

How about having shipwrecks of the coast? It would add extra people and items to the colony. The castaways could give temp extra labour to colony and some can stay other leave on next ship out.

13. Viion

Viion Member

I did see an event file that's called immigration_boat (versus the one with none, overseer or 3 of any you got immigration file) so there seems to be planned something along the lines, except they will be normal colonists and not temporary. Haven't really looked at the file, but I'm assuming it means I'll have to build a dock/harbour at some point (that's going to be popular with the fishies, you bet!)

14. Ghin

Ghin Member

I really just want to be friends with the fishpeople and have them come live in my village.

15. Viion

Viion Member

That's coming, Ghin. There is already mention of fishman traders and as the game progresses there will not be an automatic fishman invasion as it's now. That's just temporary to give us some opposition while the magicians that make the code fiddle and do their stuff. So I'm sure there will be ways to interact with the fishman other than shooting them. Considering that they aren't "natural" I'm sure there will be benefits and drawbacks...oh the major, major drawbacks... with interacting with them.

16. The_Fool76

The_Fool76 Member

This is steam punk, if we need extra workers we should just build them. Clanks are so much better than relying on the lazy lower class peasants. Yes yes, I realize there has been some concern over rogue cabbage harvester units mistaking one type of head for another, but that's just one less person to feed, making the farms even more efficient.

More seriously, in the game world as it is right now there is zero motivation to make the fish men work in place of low class workers. Why spend more resources keeping fish men fed and tame when you could just request additional peasants from the Empire?

Even more seriously, I'm sure as the mechanics of the world get more fleshed out there will arise plenty of ways to formalize the exploitation of the fish men via emergent game play stuff rather than having it explicitly part of the game. (For you DF fans, think of the infamous Mermaid farm.)

17. theseeman

theseeman Member

I might be reading into Lovecraft too much but I thought that "powerless in the face of elder gods despite technology" was at least a subconscious theme.

Which is to say that even thought the colonists have mastered steam and bronze and tweed they can never hope to master the unspeakable ageless horrors. More so it is humanity that is enslaved to the Old Ones.

At most there could be a subterranean pit filled with human chattel to be eaten. (Rats in the Walls) But that would be a function of madness not economic exploitation.

But I think the point of the this game is "try as you might you are screwed, by forces you cannot hope to understand."

And if there were attempts to enslave and pen the fish people I think that would anger Dagon. And you don't want to see Dagon angry.

Kaidelong likes this.
  18. Krentz

Krentz Member

I second Ghin's sentiments - rather than subjugate or commodify the fishpeople, I would love to see more fishpeople-related social options arise. Maybe there could be ways to win their favor (gifts? offerings? a healthy level of eldritch reverence?) resulting in the option to hire a wiling and appropriately compensated fishpeople work crew that could do special fishpeople things - harvest coral, farm fish, maybe the occasional mysterious delivery from the dark abyss. Of course this would all result in the fitting level of distress in the more xenophobic of the colonists.

Edit: posted after Viion already address this but oh well

Viion likes this.
  19. Viion

Viion Member

oooh... the mermaid farm... now that's somewhat atrocious hehehe. As one poster said:
    "It's ideas like this that make me love this God forsaken game. All these people talking about the utter atrocity off trapping migrating merpeople and forcibly breeding them, because damn it all their internal organs are valuable."

Honestly, I'm rereading the thread now and I'm horrified and braying in laughter all at once. The utter, utter callousness with which it's planned, described and the horrible understatement is just.... well... it's horri-funny at an epic level.

"And while I don't have a chasm, I do have an aquifer below sea level, so I may be able to generate some movement in my ocean... but again, I worry that straining might cause premature deaths. Still, it's worth a try if I can get the merpeople back... I may have inadvertently killed my entire current population of merpeople in a small construction mishap..." *speechless*

Aaaanyways... I was going to scream CLAAAAAAAANKS untill I was distracted by the mermaid farms like laser pointers distract a kitten. Yes, Clanks.... must...have....clanks. Big clanks, small clanks, clanks of all lethality...eh.... sizes. I said of all sizes *nods decisively*

And I agree. Emergent game play is king.

20. Viion

Viion Member

There are no elder gods, there are no æther, there are no fishpeople. So say the church of the cog ;-)