In Development Let us search conversations!

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Essence, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I just spent 45 minutes looking for a post I made in a conversation with the devs six months ago -- I suggested a bunch of monsters like the Baby Cracken and Athlete's Footy -- and I wanted to go back and actually use those in a mod...but I can't find them.

And the search function straight-up won't search conversations, ever.

That's lame! D:

Is there a way that we can haz convo search?

Thank you!

[edit]And of course as soon as I posted this, two more pages backward into the 38-page thread, I found it. :p [/edit]

Dratai, mining, Kazeto and 1 other person like this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This sounds like a nice idea. But perhaps this would cause issues with how you limit it to searching conversations you are involved in? And how would it handle the case when you leave a conversation? Presumably it would not search those, but in some rare cases that would defeat the purpose.

I propose that conversations have the option of being less private or not. This would not make the whole blasted thing open to the public, but would allow you to search conversations you were a party to but dropped out of, for instance. I fully acknowledge this may not be possible since that would require records of every conversation you were in but dropped out of. Still it is a nice idea if you guys do not have enough to occupy your time. (I am sure you do.) :D

Also, I propose that Essence get a massive frowny face for the D: in his above post. That would be nice, but it would likely still require being : D: instead since all icons start with a colon at current, and it would ruin the mathematics wizards days to have all their x: 45 * 99M = whatever ruined by an icon popping in the middle of their awful mathematics.

*Edit* Despite using alt-codes, I was unable to find a way around the : followed by D turning into a smiley. So disregard the space. You get the point I am sure.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. mining

mining Member

:¸D

Or

: D

Is it just me or are the slight differences in the :→D distances.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Just you. At least the last three all appear identical to me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

^^

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. deek

deek Controller of Bits Staff Member

Under consideration.

Giygas, TheJadedMieu, Kazeto and 3 others like this.
  7. deek

What kind of search would be the minimum to make it useful? Would single word matches work or do you need to have some sort of fuzzy matching when looking through conversations?

8. mining

mining Member

Single word matches would be fine for me - I'd imagine people would want to look up "That time I was talking with X about Mana costs - search mana, cost) - but I don't want to misrepresent anyone :).

9. Essence

Agreed. I generally am looking for the name of a specific monster/ability/skill, and so just being able to match a single word or quoted phrase on the high end would be uber.

10. deek

I'm going to approve this. It will be a fairly large features so I have no ETA but it is on my boiler plate.

Essence and mining like this.