Large Fonts for Large Monitors

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RKade8583, Aug 1, 2012.

1. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

Hiya. I'm legally blind and I have a 21 inch 1920x1080 monitor. Since I can't zoom out, I have to run DoD native which means I can't read any of the flavor text or messages which makes me feel like I'm missing out. Is there a way to remedy this? Even just boldening the font would help. I posted this in the mod section but someone directed me here. Also, is there a way to embiggen the character pane? That thing's itty-bitty.

Thanks
    RKade

Kablooie and Daynab like this.
  2. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Yeah, my monitor's a 30"-er. I'm gonna try to play around with the res's and see if I can get any improvement. At 2560x1600, the char window, inventory, is itsy-bitsy, I'm squinting a lot :confused:

Hey! I used to have that Franklin quote in my siggie, too :)

3. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

The char window is one of the few things that can't be doubled along with the text. As is, I play in 1024x768 but I don't get much in the way of playfield visibility that way. On native, I can see everything except the actual text (which is a pisser when you're trying new builds for example) and the character stuff and I think I can deal with the latter providing the former gets tweaked.

4. mk45gunner

mk45gunner Member

Yeah trying to play at 1920x1080 I can't see anything on my character sheet or inventory anymore... makes the game pretty much unplayable. Guess Wizardlands was a bad purchase and I will just put the game in the "check back in 6mo to see if it's fixed" folder. It's a shame cause I liked this game. oh well :\

5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I'd like to have more of the 2x options on UI elements, too.

I love the fact that now the main bar at the bottom can be expanded, and the inventory bag. But you're right, the text is still WAY too small to see, and the character panel needs the option to make it very big.

I wonder if this is in the works?

6. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

Nick said they can't make the character pane bigger for some reason but he would look into the font.

7. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

I don't mind playing at a lower res. DoD is not a game where you need superduperuber resolution to enjoy. It does get a bit crowded at lower res's, tho'.

Noted that way back when (when you had to plant spores, the last I played) I put a -opengl switch for a starting arg . . . . I think that was for trying or getting Steam overlay to work, and it's not, hmm. *shrug*

8. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

I can't see more than 3 squares south. That's not good. That's very bad.

9. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

That's too bad. If I play in my native 1080p resolution, there's lots of screen real estate, and the 2x UI elements look great. Unfortunately, the character panel as well as all the text in the tooltips is too small to make the game enjoyable.

If I lower the resolution, then I can read all the text and enjoy the humor, but not nearly enough of the dungeon shows up, greatly restricting gameplay, and the 2X interface elements become too large, with portions of them completely cut off.

I have yet to find a happy compromise, and am upset that I even have look for one. Why can't I have large, readable fonts in interface panels that are large and detailed, on a screen with a dungeon that has lots of room? It's not too much to ask, I tells ya!

10. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

Keep in mind that originally, there were no scaling options. This game has come a long way in a year. I mean I totally feel ya on not being able to see the dungeon or the text but give the devs a little time to come up with an answer. Try to see it from their point of view. Prior to me and my crappy eyes, they didn't know this was a problem.

11. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

I would assume so (Nick?) and I can deal with the unbiggified character screen so long as the tooltexts are bigger because I can move my mouse over the thing and see what I need to see.

12. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Oh, they were aware of the issue right from the start. I and a number of other people posted about it when the game launched last summer, and I AM happy to see that they did make some effort to attend to the concerns. A lot of developers wouldn't have bothered at all. I was just hoping that in a year's time we'd have ended up farther along than this.

13. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

Again, keep in mind they only have so many people working on the game. Frankly, I'm amazed they've gotten as far as they have.

14. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

I'd like to also chime in and voice my support/request for larger fonts. It would be great to see the 2x character screen, but it sounds like that may not be feasible to do.

15. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

So whatever happened with this, Nicholas?

16. Ramza

Ramza Member

Normally I am not one to signup and make a forum post, but I feel that my efforts will be all the more appriciated (or however you spell it :p)

I have been able to use a program (thank you FontForge!) to increase font size and make it bold to make everything better readable in a non-squint form :)

I must say, not everything is exactly in the correct spot anymore (some letters go a tiny bit outside of their boxes) but it is certainly do-able!

[​IMG]

Please let me know what you think and if my work was not for nothing!

Scott

PS: Maybe it is a good idea to post this somewhere so more people can find it?? Anyone got an idea where?

Attached Files:

17. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

Scott, you are the man! I can finally SEE... enough. You've found the best balance between readable and in the lines and now I can finally get back to playing DoD because of you. Thank you a thousand times over.

18. Ramza

Ramza Member

I am glad I could be of assistance RKade :)

Btw, for people interested, I only know the "Steam" way to install the font:

- Find the folder where the fonts are stored. In my case this is @
    "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dungeons of Dredmor\fonts"
    - Make a back-up of the 3 font files (just in case the font is not what you wanted or hoped for)
    A simple ctrl+c on all 3 files and ctrl+v is enough to save them
    - When asked to overwrite the files (the ones without "copy of" of course) just say yes
    - Play the game and read all the witty remarks the dev's installed for you!

Scott